Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What ever happened to rubber capped foam tires? >

What ever happened to rubber capped foam tires?

What ever happened to rubber capped foam tires?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What ever happened to rubber capped foam tires?

There used to be a concrete oval near in my home town that was a scale layout of Talledega. So I guess it wasnt oval but it was definitely an LTO track. Anyway they ran pan cars back in the day with tires that were foam core and rubber on the outer layer. It was like they had a piece of bicycle innertube glued to the outside of a foam tire. I was wondering why current rubber tires arent made this way. You would think that it would give you a more customizable contact patch with less sidewall flex compared to a current Jaco or similar rubber TC tire.

There must be a reason they arent done like this anymore. Maybe its just that something else outperformed them. I was hoping someone in the industry would be able to answer, or at least someone who raced onroad during the transition from pan car to TC.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
There used to be a concrete oval near in my home town that was a scale layout of Talledega. So I guess it wasnt oval but it was definitely an LTO track. Anyway they ran pan cars back in the day with tires that were foam core and rubber on the outer layer. It was like they had a piece of bicycle innertube glued to the outside of a foam tire. I was wondering why current rubber tires arent made this way. You would think that it would give you a more customizable contact patch with less sidewall flex compared to a current Jaco or similar rubber TC tire.

There must be a reason they arent done like this anymore. Maybe its just that something else outperformed them. I was hoping someone in the industry would be able to answer, or at least someone who raced onroad during the transition from pan car to TC.
I remember running tires like that on the oval dirt track up at Sugar Hill speedway and other tracks around Atlanta area. I think, I remember reading that ROAR outlawed those tires for some reason. I think the rule reads something like this:" no capped tires" again not sure why they stoped using those tires. I did get out of the RC racing for about 12 years from 95 to 2007 and when I got back into RC Racing everyone was running TC and not much Oval using rubber or foam tires.

SmokinJoeM
Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

used to know a guy with the smokinjoe handle--you ever run slots??
as for capped tires I used to put silicone caulk over a foam tire --mad traction--
1/4 scale tires are foam core with a rubber cap.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GasGod
used to know a guy with the smokinjoe handle--you ever run slots??
Yes on slots but that was a very long time ago. When I lived in Atlanta I had a computer store called Computer Joe's Sales and Service. The SmokingJoe came from when I was driving Late Model Race cars on the dirt.

Thanks for asking thought,

SmokinJoeM
Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SmokinJoeM
Yes on slots but that was a very long time ago. When I lived in Atlanta I had a computer store called Computer Joe's Sales and Service. The SmokingJoe came from when I was driving Late Model Race cars on the dirt.

Thanks for asking thought,

SmokinJoeM
Homers??
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i remember back in the day racing in florence al, jackson ms, and a few other places where we used bsr caps, we always had problems with blowouts, as well as general ungluing.

i also remember they were REAL expensive for 1 tire. I could get a full set of 4 foams for what 1 tire cost, only to have it blow when we were practicing.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

they are still made John's BSR Tires

http://www.johnsbsrracing.com/cap/index.htm