Wiki Posts
Search

JR XS3 Radio System Functions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Post JR XS3 Radio System Functions

I am a bit confused by the Exponential Steering Function of my JR XS3 transmitter and need to confirm what I should be doing for my medical condition called Essential Tremor (ET).

ET makes me have a moderate shake in my right arm (steering) when driving. The shake is about the same for both practicing and racing. However, I am determined to race regardless...Too much fun!

The adjustment range on the XS3 is from -100% to 0% (Linear) to +100%.

I am looking for slower movement (more accuracy) in the initial steering from neutral (straight) to my car followed by quicker movement (more turning) in the secondary part of the steering.

Should I be going in the negative direction from 0% to achieve what I am describing?

FYI...I guess my radio settings would be considered as being pretty much "straight up" as follows:

TBD Forward = 10% (not sure why) and Brake = 0%
ST = +25% (probably wrong)
EPA L/R = 125% (with Airtronics 94357 servo)
Button C is set to time laps
STS = 0 (lucky)
STC = 0
THC = 0
STG Dual Rate is usually between 60-70% for carpet racing (which is why the EPA number of 125% is OK...Right?)

Many thanks for any help.

Many thanks for any input.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

turning the Expo down will reduce the (and I appologize for not using a better word) twitchiness you may experience due to your ET. One thing by turning the expo down that you may notice is that the servo itself may not recenter as fast as before. I do something similar with the throttle expo on my Brushless car, just because it mellows out the throttle response on the bottom end. Same concept on the steering.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

RC Driver Gary is right.

However, I dont get your EPA setting. EPA should be used to ensure the front wheels turns at their maximum WITHOUT getting in touch with the front bumper or other things. Afterwards, I would use the dual rate thing, to get the right feel.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Gary and Cole,

Thanks for your input.

I see both of your points.

Gary,
I will turn down the ST setting to something below Linear to see how it goes. Will watch for the recentering issue because that is pretty important to me too. Hadn't considered that aspect so thanks for your thoughts.

Cole,
What you are describing is exactly what I was doing. 125% on my Airtronics 94357 just gives me lock to lock in both directions which I turn down with the Steering Dual Rate. Thanks for the confirmation.

Actually, Matt Francis told me to turn up the EPA to the point where the stops make contact which is 125% on my XS3. Matt also had me trim my upper plastic bumper to prevent any possibility of making contact when the wheels are fully turned. Has worked well so far.

My car also has the long connector tie rod going from the servo to the far side of the drag link. The steering is easy to setup fairly equally in both directions with this cheap mod. Another MF suggestion. Gotta think that Losi will offer a modified drag link to accomplish this soon.