R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #1726
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
I ran my f109 yesterday at my local track and it has the turning radius of an oil tanker. How can I get more steering out of the car? At the moment I'm a full 2 seconds off the pace. Maybe more. I'm running Shimzu rubber tires. Soft in the rear and medium up front. Thanks for your help.
Worth checking that the front suspension is moving freely. The alloy balls into the steel king pin can need work to get this. A 3mm drill bit or reamer will help smooth out the holes in the balls and axles. I've also polished the steel pin with fine wet and dry paper.

What you're looking for is smooth movement all the way up and down. And both sides of course

Softening the front the stiffening the rear would give more steering. I'm running 1/12th 0.18 springs on the front, and a 16 lbs Touring car spring rear.

Also worth checking what caster you have the front set to. If it's up towards 6 to 8 degrees then cut it back. I'm down at 0 to 1 degrees.

And negative camber on the front wheels and tyres. One degree of negative is a good place to start...a bit more at a time if you need it.

More front additive would also give steering. "More" can be in one of two ways - more width across the tyre, or leaving it on the tyre for longer.

Try those. See how it goes. If you're still struggling come back and we'll sort it
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #1727
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
Stiffen rear. maybe crank in some some side spring too. How old are the tires? My meds pushed at first, after some wear they hook up very well.
The tires are pretty new. I think this was the second time I ran them so they maybe have three batteries on them. Think that's it?
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #1728
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Worth checking that the front suspension is moving freely. The alloy balls into the steel king pin can need work to get this. A 3mm drill bit or reamer will help smooth out the holes in the balls and axles. I've also polished the steel pin with fine wet and dry paper.

What you're looking for is smooth movement all the way up and down. And both sides of course

Softening the front the stiffening the rear would give more steering. I'm running 1/12th 0.18 springs on the front, and a 16 lbs Touring car spring rear.

Also worth checking what caster you have the front set to. If it's up towards 6 to 8 degrees then cut it back. I'm down at 0 to 1 degrees.

And negative camber on the front wheels and tyres. One degree of negative is a good place to start...a bit more at a time if you need it.

More front additive would also give steering. "More" can be in one of two ways - more width across the tyre, or leaving it on the tyre for longer.

Try those. See how it goes. If you're still struggling come back and we'll sort it
Thanks for the tip on the suspension. I'll check the caster as well.
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #1729
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
The tires are pretty new. I think this was the second time I ran them so they maybe have three batteries on them. Think that's it?
My mediums pushed so bad when I got them I went back to foam until my Softs arrived. After tuning with the Softs up front, I blew a tire and went back to mediums and they were fine. I have .22s in the front and the rear spring set pretty stiff.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #1730
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

I have made yesterday evening in Turin (Northern Italy) a small video running my F1-09 with a GOPRO camera mounted on the body.

We have arranged a regional indoor champioship (moquette) using a very "light" configuration: foam tyres and mabuchi540 27T brushed, to have all identical and realistic (=very low!!) performances.

since I cannot post the direct link to the video, please add this code after youtube.com/

watch?v=15q1azZcaXk

Byebye
20mandorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #1731
Tech Master

that was great ! thanks
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1732
Tech Elite

Default UF1 Series

Round 4 of the UF1 Winter Series this Saturday at TQ Chino California...
Doors open at 10AM...
Qualifying starts at Noon...
Johnny will be announcing...

http://uf1series.com/
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #1733
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, looks like this is a pretty good chassis judging by the size of the thread. I see the kit FS on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3RACING-F1-0...item3a6edf3173

Seems like a good deal, all I need to get is servo, receiver, esc, motor, battery and...anything else?
jduarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #1734
Tech Master

Its a great car. I still have one. It uses a lot of parts that interchange with the F103 and F104, it drives well and it is fast. You need radio, receiver, motor, esc, battery and servo. It comes with a bearings,body and some awesome foam tires. Its an easy build. If you want to get into F1 on the cheap, this is the car to do it. Not many hop ups are needed to make it better. Although I would suggest the Tamiya F103 composite front end. its like $10. But the stock one works well, just gets a bit sloppy. This is the car that started the F1 craze at my local track.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #1735
Tech Initiate

Sounds good. I have an old f102 chassis but I don't have a local track (that I know of) that's tarmac. So it would be something just for fun at this point. Thanks!
jduarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #1736
Tech Elite

Default UF1 Series

5th Race of the UF1 Winter series this Saturday in Chino California...

http://uf1series.com/index.html
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #1737
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Just nearing completion of my F109 finally. The stock front end is super flimsy and has a lot of play.

Anyone running an F103 front end on this car? Improvement? Or negligible?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #1738
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just nearing completion of my F109 finally. The stock front end is super flimsy and has a lot of play.

Anyone running an F103 front end on this car? Improvement? Or negligible?
yes there is some play, and the plastic is soft. Shims helped with the play, and the soft plastic actually was helpful in keeping it from breaking. But yes, I moved to a composite F103 front end. No adjustments, but I do like it better. Its almost bullet proof. Worth it. The camber and caster adjustments on the stock 109 front end aren't missed. At least by me.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #1739
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks for the info!

Lastly, what is everyone using for gearing with silver can motor? I'm running the stock spur with F103 Tamiya foam tires, not the stock tires. The stock tires are quite a bit smaller in diameter on the rears.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #1740
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks for the info!

Lastly, what is everyone using for gearing with silver can motor? I'm running the stock spur with F103 Tamiya foam tires, not the stock tires. The stock tires are quite a bit smaller in diameter on the rears.
I was running 30/96. On stock tires. I loved the stock tires, such grip.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC