R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #1636
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since we are running an open class, Ive switched back to my 17.5. Im using 1s power again and geared the thing like a 1/12 scale car. Rollout about 80ish. Still has about the same speed as the silvercan and 21.5s but less punch. Im fine with that. Speed isnt a problem, driving is. Im horrible. Anyway, after painting and repainting my f109 body too many times, and trying an F103 body, I got an F104 body form a friend of mine to try out. With 1s this was possible for me, just had to reconfigure everything. Anyway, more bad paint, but what they hay.
Attached Thumbnails
3racing F109-imag0336.jpg   3racing F109-imag0337.jpg   3racing F109-f109r30-2.jpg  
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #1637
Tech Regular

Been driving my F109 for all summer.. And I got to thinking why not put a F104 front end in to to get more adjustability.. Th eF109 front end keep binding even though I have polished the kingpins more than once.

SO, has anyone tried? will it fit, by looking at a F104 it looks possible but will it fit, OK i will need to get alot o F104 parts.

Is the front end parts (the plastic tree) from tamiya all the parts needed for the front end? Or are there balls needed from elsewere?
I will also need the servo mounting parts.
Will a standard servo work?

Thanks!
/Johnny

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #1638
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you know whats causing the actual binding issue (e.g. is the surface pitting, getting tarnished or is the plastic getting a little soft with friction etc etc) ?
RC Biot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #1639
Tech Elite

This is concerning rules for the F1 class in Vegas, posted by Scotty:

Hi Everyone,

Well things continue to roll forward and looks great for the IIC. I have things all set for the F-1 Class and want to get the rules out for the class.

21.5 motor
Speedo in No boost mode.
Ride Handout Spec Tires and Rims. 1 set included with registration.
1 more additional set allowed for purchase. So 2 sets Maximum.
These 2 sets do not count for practice. You can get additional set for practice
180mm Maximum width
Realistic Bodies and wings

All races will be 5 min long.

This is very important. For those racers who have already signed up for the IIC and the F-1 Class will be an additional class. You will not be able to use the online registration off the website. We have been working to implement a additional class signup but it is not possible right now without a longer delay in the process, so this is how it will work.

If this is an additional class for you, You will need to email me at scottyernst@gmail.com and boomer at hoosierdaddy@wi.rr.com with all the information. THIS MUST INCLUDE WHAT TYPE OF RIMS YOU WILL NEED. TAMIYA F104 OR HPI F10 RIMS and how many sets you would like. When you tell me how many you want, you will be required to purchase your ordered amount no exceptions. Then you will need to send a payment to my Pay Pal account to info@intchamps.com Price for an additional class is $93.25 this includes the Pay Pal fee.

For those racers who have not registered yet for the IIC, then you can go to intchamps.com and use the online registration process. F-1 Class is a option to choose from the drop down menu and it will calculate everything as you go through the process. But I will still need an email from you regarding what rims you will need and how many sets you want.

The F-1 class is going to be a great addition to the IIC and our hope is that it will be a class that will grow to be a staple of the event.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #1640
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Biot View Post
do you know whats causing the actual binding issue (e.g. is the surface pitting, getting tarnished or is the plastic getting a little soft with friction etc etc) ?
Last time the kingpin had corroded onto the bottom ball, it was so stuck I had to hammer it free..... I polished it again with wet sanding paper and put some ball bearing oil onto it when assembling it.

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #1641
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Does anyone know if the f104 servo mounts fit the F109? Look similar, and kinda flashy. Please advise.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #1642
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
Does anyone know if the f104 servo mounts fit the F109? Look similar, and kinda flashy. Please advise.
Yes it fit, but there is no winding inside the servo mount, so you need something to screw this mount on top.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #1643
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
Been driving my F109 for all summer.. And I got to thinking why not put a F104 front end in to to get more adjustability.. Th eF109 front end keep binding even though I have polished the kingpins more than once.

SO, has anyone tried? will it fit, by looking at a F104 it looks possible but will it fit, OK i will need to get alot o F104 parts.

Is the front end parts (the plastic tree) from tamiya all the parts needed for the front end? Or are there balls needed from elsewere?

Thanks!
/Johnny

I have had a 104 front end on my 109.. its good if you wanna or have to put 104 tires on the car. It also makes the car narrower at the front.

You can pretty much get all the parts you need on one pack front fleabay its a pretty cheap conversion.

With the binding my car used to bind a bit if I didnt put oil on the kingpin.. with the grease its smooth and gives a little adjustability with different weight oil..
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1644
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks!
/Johnny
The F104 front end will give you less adjustability than the F109 front end, no fine adjustment of camber and no caster adjustment with the F104 parts. The F104 front end will also make the front of your car 20mm narrower as it's designed to match the narrow F104 rear tyres, and you will have clearance problems trying to run the smaller F109 wheels on the front.

You can download the F104 manual here http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download...al/f104pro.pdf so you can see what parts are needed. It will bolt straight on to the F109.

Personally I never liked the F109 front end, found it inconsistent and easily damaged on our indoor track. I replaced it with the Tamiya 54153 F103 carbon reinforced front end, no adjustability but you know nothing is going to break or bend in an accident and it isn't going to flex so is perfectly consistent. All you need is the plastic parts, you can use the F109 kingpin and springs.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #1645
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
I have had a 104 front end on my 109.. its good if you wanna or have to put 104 tires on the car. It also makes the car narrower at the front.

You can pretty much get all the parts you need on one pack front fleabay its a pretty cheap conversion.

With the binding my car used to bind a bit if I didnt put oil on the kingpin.. with the grease its smooth and gives a little adjustability with different weight oil..
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The F104 front end will give you less adjustability than the F109 front end, no fine adjustment of camber and no caster adjustment with the F104 parts. The F104 front end will also make the front of your car 20mm narrower as it's designed to match the narrow F104 rear tyres, and you will have clearance problems trying to run the smaller F109 wheels on the front.

You can download the F104 manual here http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download...al/f104pro.pdf so you can see what parts are needed. It will bolt straight on to the F109.

Personally I never liked the F109 front end, found it inconsistent and easily damaged on our indoor track. I replaced it with the Tamiya 54153 F103 carbon reinforced front end, no adjustability but you know nothing is going to break or bend in an accident and it isn't going to flex so is perfectly consistent. All you need is the plastic parts, you can use the F109 kingpin and springs.
Thanks!
I'll be thinking over this, I have seen front ends with turnbuckles on all links in the top arm.... I have also been looking into the TRG cars..

Winter will give me lots of time to think as I do not have access to an indoor race track.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #1646
Tech Rookie

Just bought one of these..Lovely piece of kit
rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #1647
Tech Regular

Default Here's one for the pro f109 drivers

Hi All,

i noticed that tires do not work well on the F109..

we bought Foam tires and one of the guys tested them on a F104 and they worked perfectly, but mounting them on the F109 renders a car that is horribly oversteering...

I was thinking,
any trick in reducing this steering?

Last edited by tudor_47; 09-04-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #1648
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anyone ever have problems removing the wheel from the diff side? I'm able to take out the disk springs but I can't seem to remove the thrust washers.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #1649
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Anyone ever have problems removing the wheel from the diff side? I'm able to take out the disk springs but I can't seem to remove the thrust washers.
I belive I had that with one set of wheels as they had plastic insert to have "nice" spokes. Of course my wheel washers time to time locked there. In the end I removed these inserts. Now I bought 3Racing outtuned diff and to have easy wheel change without messing with diff settings.
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #1650
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Acid_CZ

Quote:
Hi All,

i noticed that tires do not work well on the F109..

we bought Foam tires and one of the guys tested them on a F104 and they worked perfectly, but mounting them on the F109 renders a car that is horribly oversteering...

I was thinking,
any trick in reducing this steering?
Kit tires seems perfect for our conditions, but you can try aplying CA glue on the outher sides of front tires. Or find harder fronts.
Acid_CZ is offline   Reply With Quote