Wiki Posts
Search

8th Scale Electric On-Road

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 8th Scale Electric On-Road

After having a good year running my 8th scale electric buggies and truggies, I decided to turn to the asphalt side and start running 8th scale on-road at the track. With pretty much all the electronics being compatible, it was a pretty straight forward conversion. I know this is a buggy based car, but I still wanted to give it the same kind of love the on-road guys give their very nice and clean looking cars touring and pan cars. It's a Kyosho IGT2 fitted onto a IGT1 length chassis. I am hoping others will post up their on-road 8th scale conversions too.

With one of the best developers of electric conversions coming out with a new 8th scale on-road conversion very soon, we should start to see more of these types of vehicles at the tracks. Let me know what you guys think.

Before

After

Quick Specs:

RC-Monster Motor Mount
RC-Monster Dual Servo Tray
RC-Monster Batter Box (48mm x 148mm)
Tekin RX8 w/T8 1400kv
NeuEnergy 6S 3300
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

nice
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd like to do the same only with my Serpent Vector; 1/8 nitro pancar. I've never ran it nor put a drop of fuel in the engine. Back then I got caught up in electric rc before getting the nitro running. Driving a Tamiya F103, I was faster than the 1/8 and 1/10 nitro pancars everywhere but the straight on a small parking lot track. Now it's even easier for electrics to be faster and our runtime is increasing!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tired Racer
I'd like to do the same only with my Serpent Vector; 1/8 nitro pancar. I've never ran it nor put a drop of fuel in the engine. Back then I got caught up in electric rc before getting the nitro running. Driving a Tamiya F103, I was faster than the 1/8 and 1/10 nitro pancars everywhere but the straight on a small parking lot track. Now it's even easier for electrics to be faster and our runtime is increasing!
You got pics of the 8th scale pan car? I want to convert a pan car too? Maybe we can collaborate on what can work. I am in SoCal as well and run at Revelation for off-road and WCRCR for both on and off road.

What other 1/8 pan cars are out there?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mxracer458
nice
Thank you......
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks great js058515..
Recently did one as well (the GT though) . Similar sort of arrangement except I made the battery & esc trays out of some aluminum cut-off from work.

Doesn't look anywhere as nice/final as yours, but still goes like a rocket and feels good to actually have found the time to get it done. Seeing yours though, I might need that dual Servo tray though so I can re-fit the brake disc.. As it does have some issues slowing down quickly.. Not sure it will fit with my battery arrangement.

Since the pic's were taken I've installed fan on the motor heatsink, put the servo tray (original - but cut to fit) back for steering, stuck down the power button, tidied the cables and actually driven it.. Probably should get newer pictures of it..

It's good fun

[edit: I've only run it a couple of times with the esc braking set to 75%, might solve the slowing down if I bump it to 100% but will have to wait until next time]
Attached Thumbnails 8th Scale Electric On-Road-front.jpg   8th Scale Electric On-Road-side.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by badmotor
Looks great js058515..
Recently did one as well (the GT though) . Similar sort of arrangement except I made the battery & esc trays out of some aluminum cut-off from work.

Doesn't look anywhere as nice/final as yours, but still goes like a rocket and feels good to actually have found the time to get it done. Seeing yours though, I might need that dual Servo tray though so I can re-fit the brake disc.. As it does have some issues slowing down quickly.. Not sure it will fit with my battery arrangement.

Since the pic's were taken I've installed fan on the motor heatsink, put the servo tray (original - but cut to fit) back for steering, stuck down the power button, tidied the cables and actually driven it.. Probably should get newer pictures of it..

It's good fun

[edit: I've only run it a couple of times with the esc braking set to 75%, might solve the slowing down if I bump it to 100% but will have to wait until next time]
That looks great Alex. As for the dual servo tray you might be able to fit it. as it uses the first 3 servo tray holes. Not sure though. I use mech brakes on all my conversion because I worry about overworking the motor. It's probably my own issue but since RC-monster has one available I figure I would use it.

I am working on another one but in IGT2 length. Should be similar, but not as extravagant on all the nuts and bolts. I want to see some 8th scale pan car conversions as those things are just plain awesome. Anyone got pics of converted 8th scale pan cars they can post with some details on how they did it.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by js058515
You got pics of the 8th scale pan car? I want to convert a pan car too? Maybe we can collaborate on what can work. I am in SoCal as well and run at Revelation for off-road and WCRCR for both on and off road.

What other 1/8 pan cars are out there?
It's not put together but it's similar to any of the 1/8 pan cars out there. Google mugen 1/8 and you see some pictures come up. Mine looks like that only its a Serpent. If I recall correctly they are typically 4WD and mine is belt driven. I'll let you know when it's ready to bring to WCRC.

Meanwhile, talk to this guy who's done two conversions of his 1/8 kyosho pan car: http://www.rctech.net/forum/6188822-post3609.html

Last edited by Tired Racer; 08-11-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by js058515
Anyone got pics of converted 8th scale pan cars they can post with some details on how they did it.
There's a brushless conversion 'kit' for the Serpent 960 (link) pancar. Which consists of a machined bracket to mount the motor on and a spur (which they charge about $100 US for I believe).
Not a fan of SP myself, but it's an option. I think Novak do some conversion kits too. Usually includes everything I think.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

There's a brushless conversion 'kit' for the Serpent 960 (link) pancar. Which consists of a machined bracket to mount the motor on and a spur (which they charge about $100 US for I believe).
Not a fan of SP myself, but it's an option. I think Novak do some conversion kits too. Usually includes everything I think.
Thanks for the link.....I am not a SP fan either. If I were to do a pan car, I want to keep mech brakes and have the option to run the 2 speed. From what I can tell battery size and location seems to be the issue. When I say location, I mean for proper weight distribution.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So with the one-way spur gear does that mean theres no breaking from the motor and it relies purely on mech brakes?

EP 1/8th on-road would be good fun, it would certainly be interesting to see them against nitro 1/8th