Search

Mainstream VS. The other guys in touring car

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Mainstream VS. The other guys in touring car

I'm starting to have second thoughts on the purchase of a TC3 for a couple reasons...

1.) Being a little out of the mold has always been in my nature so getting a car that not many people have at the local track appeals to me.

2.) Some of the new cars being released seem like great cars, and are beautiful designs.

For those of you that have purchased cars that your LHS does not support, what are your feelings on the purchase now that you've had the car for a bit, in other words was it worth it to just be a little different?

Also, being new to touring car I don't really know what parts I will need on hand just in case soemthing breaks. About how many parts would be wise to keep on hand and what am I looking to spend on these parts (rough estimate)?

Being new to TC should I just stick with something the local guys can help me setup properly (XXX-S, TC3)?

Thanks for any help.

Ike
Old 01-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

The TC3 is a tried and true car, and will work well almost anywhere with the right setup. Alot of the more exotic looking cars that you see have c/f chassis, which is fine for asphault, but on carpet you need some fairly thick c/f to be stiff enough, especially on foams. If you want to go with a c/f chassis car, make sure it is stiff enough. Of course you could always get a TC3 and put the Warpspeed chassic on it, that I think is some pretty thick c/f and it has an upper deck as well, you'd look a little different then.

For the TC3, get an extra pair of front hubs, pair of front and rear arms, some hinge pins - if you break and arm chances are you'll bend the pin. That should be a good place to start. If you plan on running stock, the car is fine as is, but for mod you should probably pick up some steel outdrives, or IRS lite-drives with Big Dog bones that have pin cushions on them, although the IRS route is considerably more expensive.

Good luck,
Josh
Old 01-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Perhaps my wording was a bit confusing, sorry about that. My LHS that I will be racing at carries all the TC3 parts I would need, so I can buy it as I need it. But thanks for giving me an idea of what parts to have on hand anyhow

It's the other cars that I'm considering (Alex Racing, HPI, Yokomo, Tamiya) that I would need to purchase parts for ahead of time... But you're saying those cars might not be handle as well on carpet as the TC3 due to the chassis?
Old 01-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Because carpet has such high traction, especially on foams, a stiffer chassis is always better.

It really depends on the car, you can definately make a carbon fiber chassis very stiff. For example the Yokomo I think is very stiff, although I've never felt one it seems like it would be. The problem is some cars use a 2mm thick chassis, along with a flimsy 2mm upper deck, which isn't that stiff at all.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

How much do you know about setup? If you know how to setup a car and don't mind having to work with it for a few weeks to get a setup that is in the ball park, then go for something that is less common if you like. But, if you want to be able to rock up at the track and have a car that handles the second you put it on the track then stay with the more common cars. I run a corally C4 and it usually takes me 2-4 weeks to get a setup that is adequate to race with. IMO any of the top cars out there can do well at the races with the right setup and driver.

Speedo is correct, a chassis that has too much flex won't be as good on carpet as a stiff chassis. Usually there are hop-ups that can limit flex, if a chassis has this flaw. As per spares it really depends on the car, some are stronger then others so you don't need as many spares. You can post in the chassis threads to find out what breaks and just stock up on what you need.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Thanks for the help guys, I know how to setup a 1/12th scale car but I'm sure a TC will be a whole different beast to tame. So I guess it's just best to stick with a TC3...
Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah, the more exotic cars, take longer to setup, and are usually harder to find parts. If alot of the your area guys run a single type of car at your track, i would have to go with a tc3, if there running that. A tc3 and losi are not the prettiest, actually there ugly, but there tested, have easier setups, more common, and have better part support. Baically on any car that you get(specially a losi or tc3), get many A-arms, hubs, and hinge pins, for front and rear. The non C/F cars are better on carpet at first, and for a long time they are too.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

if your LHS doesn't support the car you want to get, and if your local postal service is not too bad, then all you need to do is to find an online shop that has the brands you want

by all means support your LHS tho

i do order parts that no one carries here from hk, just that the express postal service here is gayer than gay so sometimes it is a pain in the butt to deal with them
Old 01-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

yep, always support your lhs, unless there mean, disrespectful......., i order all my stuff through my lhs. If there is something they never have in stock, but can order, i'll always go and order through them, even if i can save 2 bucks by going on th internet. I only go to the internet if my lhs can't order, and i'm not going to trackside anytime soon(cuz they got everything). Like the xxx main book, my lhs can't get it, so i might go to the internet, if i get around to it.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if u want exotic cars id look into the Alex Racing Car or the new Tamiya 415 that is going to be coming out...u cant lose with either as far as quality...i run the Cuda R2 and order my parts from speedtechrc.com....he has great customer service...i would recommend getting some arms, rear hubs, and front end parts...dont forget the input gears in the tranny
Old 01-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Well, I'm going to be racing at Trackside, I thought they only carried the XXX-s and TC3 parts, am I mistaken on that? I fully intend to support them, since I know full well what it's like to not have a place to race from lack of support.

Ike
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they got tamiya parts too...i ran the cuda down there worked great on that track....most people run the TC3 or Losi down there as well...i believe a few run the Tamiya Evo3 which is a nice car too
Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

I just did the switch... I was running the Yok SD on carpet and switched to TC3... I've run off road for years and got a rude awakening switching to on road, especially carpet... The Yok is pretty felxable... My LHS doesn't stock nor will they order the Yok parts... It was getting to be a major hassle if I broke something I didn't have.... But my basic Yok setups are far off from the AE setups...
Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

From what I have seen the XXX-S G+ Losi is hard to beat in mod, on carpet, with foams. It's a little harder to get parts for than the TC3, and is less apt to suffer from chassis tweak.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

The TC3 is just as adept at running mod on carpet as the Losi.

I have to agree with whoever mentioned the 415 from Tamiya, any Tamiya is going to be of the utmost highest quality.

If you decide to go with a TC3, keep in mind the Warpseed chassis as I mentioned before, that would make your car stand out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.