Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform >

ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform

ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform

Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ab1105
Dale Epp of protoFORM took time to share his thoughts on the future of the company, his background, and more.

You can check the interview at R/C Evil Empire!

The link is here:

http://rcevilempire.com/2009/09/inte...orms-dale-epp/
Damn! You beat me to it....hoping to do a similar Q&A with Dale for the P1 Brand blog...nice job, Aaron.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

I know of a model shop in the UK that ordered 70 of these as soon as they knew it was being released and then received a grand total of 15 from the distributor

So much for supply meeting demand in the UK, I think the distributor seriously underestimated it. At least I got one of the ones I wanted.

Very nice shell though Dale, I think it looks better in real life than the photos.

Trev
Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

My first one is ready to run now. Paints up quite well.
Attached Thumbnails ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform-img_4625.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

How did this body perform at the IIC?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

nutsisneat:
How did this body perform at the IIC?
Thanks for asking Nuts: In a word – FAAAAAANTASTIC!

At the IIC event the PROTOform AMR-12 body was very well accepted by everyone who tried it – whether pro driver or novice. Anyone who tried the body left it on their car for the balance of the week. (except for a couple of pro drivers who were forced to remove the body due to sponsor conflicts)

Pete D’Agnolo crushed the competition in 13.5 using the AMR-12. He TQ’d, then ran away from the field unchallenged in the A-main - taking the Win.

Josh Cyrul TQ’d in the Mod class with it. There were 6 drivers in the A-main using the AMR-12. There may have been more but a few drivers from outside the USA had trouble getting them on time for the event. There were two on the podium with Josh Cyrul finishing 2nd and Ronald Volker finishing 3rd. (Ronald was on fire – he bumped up from the B Main then charged through the field from last place for that podium finish)

Incidentally, the weekend before, the Protoform AMR-12 body was in competition for the first time. Andy Griffiths TQ-ed all 5 rounds and finished off qualifying 3 full second ahead of his closest (brand X bodied) rival. In spite of "insidents" - he still pulled off the Win at the CARS AMC Shootout in the UK. (see pic)

Ironically; the AM racing team bagged the European LeMans Series Championship this past weekend in Silverstone. Pretty cool impo. (see pic)

I’m thinking this ROAR and EFRA legal body has a solid future.

Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform-tq-all-rounds-amr-12-andy-griffithsuk.jpg   ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform-hot-amr-lm-series-champion.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

How did I miss that, I took that photo! (The Stiles/Griffiths one that is). The original is in the gallery at www.carsrcracing.co.uk.

I tried mine for the first time at the CARS/AMC Grand Prix, two weeks after the Shoot Out meet. Put it on for the second practice round and then used it for the rest of the meeting. Liked it a lot!

Not too many in use in the UK still, there have been serious supply problems, but my second one has now arrived so they are starting to come through now. I'm expecting to see quite a few at the first UK 12th scale national meet in a few weeks.

Trev
Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Dale are there any areas that are ment to be cut out? I noticed that behind the rear wheels there is an area that is indented, I'm guessing that that may be there for added strength but mabey not.

Chris
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Dale are there any areas that are ment to be cut out? I noticed that behind the rear wheels there is an area that is indented, I'm guessing that that may be there for added strength but maybe not.
Chris;
You guessed right. Simulated vents are there to add rigidity to the lexan in that specific area.

Dale - Protoform
Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I notice in the preview pics the body is cut out right to the top at the back end but on the shell there is an extra section below it with mould lines which looks like its meant to be a gurney flap for you to cut out and use. How will it effect handling if i was to leave that peice on the body so there was more support at the back of the shell?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

I notice in the preview pics the body is cut out right to the top at the back end but on the shell there is an extra section below it with mould lines

looks like its meant to be a gurney flap for you to cut out and use.

Conrad;

I'm not really sure what your eyes are "reading" in the photo of the AMR-12.
The body is not cut to the very top - it's cut on the backside of the body right on the trimline. On our 1/12th scale bodies there's always approx 3/16ths of an inch mat'l on the backside of the spoiler - at the top - to add rigidity. It has no effect on performance. Only adds strength and stiffness.

Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails ALL NEW 1/12th On-Road Body by PROTOform-1611-top-rear.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This body looks great and will be the next to rest on my Gen X!

Sean
Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by daleepp
Conrad;

I'm not really sure what your eyes are "reading" in the photo of the AMR-12.
The body is not cut to the very top - it's cut on the backside of the body right on the trimline. On our 1/12th scale bodies there's always approx 3/16ths of an inch mat'l on the backside of the spoiler - at the top - to add rigidity. It has no effect on performance. Only adds strength and stiffness.

Dale - Protoform
I'll correct my previous statement, i was comparing your shell pictured to the shell i have in my hands. From your picture the shell is cut almost to the top but on the shell i have there is a stepped section in the mould which when cut out would be about the right size and shape for an add on gurney flap. I'll clarify my text this time with a picture [click me]. How would leaving this piece on the shell effect the handling of the car, just more rear end grip?

Will there be a regular weight version of the shell coming out or is it race weight only?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

What colors were used for the Gulf livery? Hotness.

-rocky b
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Conrad
I'll correct my previous statement, i was comparing your shell pictured to the shell i have in my hands. From your picture the shell is cut almost to the top but on the shell i have there is a stepped section in the mould which when cut out would be about the right size and shape for an add on gurney flap. I'll clarify my text this time with a picture [click me]. How would leaving this piece on the shell effect the handling of the car, just more rear end grip?

Will there be a regular weight version of the shell coming out or is it race weight only?
I.M.O. I'm thinking that flap is only part of how the mold is made. If you were to leave intact it would create a lot of drag as the air would not flow as well from under the body.
E
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

So what setup changes have people made from switching from the preferred standard shell to the amr-12? Or rather what do those with skilled thumbs think of the handling characteristics compared to regular shells (zytek etc)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.