Air travel

Old 01-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Air travel

hi,
i leave for the snowirds at the end of this month, but ive got a few questions about taking my stuff on the plane.

i want too take my batteries, and as much other stuff as i can fit in my hand luggage. but with the airlines now bumping up security, do you think they'll let me? Is it safe to put it all in with my other luggage if i have too?

i know its not rc, but i heard the scanners at airports can damage photographic film, how do i avoid that?

if any of you have done this before please tell me your experiences, so i can have a hassle free one!

cheers
Old 01-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think it should be fine if you carry the batteries on board unless they are not hooked up to something. but i would play it safe and put it in your check in luggage. i fly internationally and i just get a well protected battery box, ones from GM or Racers edge and pout them between my clothes! the foam inside the box is enough to pretect your batteries!

as for the film, my roomate is nuts (and i do mean F*CKING nuts) about photography and he has no problem going through the scanners with all his "high tech" film and stuff. i guess it should be fine for regulars!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have gotten to the point of packing all of it in a Rubbermaid tote. Pre 911 I locked the ends now just lock 1 end and zip tie the other. I have had the tie cut 1 time in 4 flights, some flights I have not even bothered with either. I see the inspection notices but never any misplaced items or issues. I have heard the horror stories though of shock oils etc thrown out.

FYI they get a touch nervous when the batts go through the scanners as they are so dense with wires coming from them in some cases.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 AM
FTSPEEDWAY

United Airlines and Southwest airline would not let me bring batteries or my car on board. I even had to throw out my rechargeables in my radio. The best thing would be to call the airline and find out their rules about batteries and electronics.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what i do for nitro is just pack it up all in a box and just ship it!
dont have to worry about them not letting you bring it along!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

I check it all and cary my clothes. I have yet to have a problem, knock on wood. If you bring it on the plane and they wont let it go, then your SOL. Better safe then sorry.

This year I am planning on shipping some of my stuff to the track before the race, extra bodies, tires, any odd sized stuff that will take up lots of space.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the replies, i think i'll play it safe and put it all in my main baggage.

see ya at the birds.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For film, put it in your carry on. The X-Ray machine can cause the film to become exposed, from my understanding.

As far as taking the car and batteries on the plane with you, I have done this post 9/11. The thing is at going through the scanner you have all these little cylander looking things with wires going between them, they do look like a bomb. One time I we did need to have someone come down from the airline and say it was ok for these to be brought on board, and this was 2000! Most people just ask a lot of questions about the cars, where we race them, how we did, stuff like that. The main things I bring with me on the plane is the car itself and my radio. Everything else I can replace or borrow if they get lost.