R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Servo speed? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/316-servo-speed.html)

Darkseid 08-30-2001 09:44 AM

Servo speed?

Hey guys: what speed and brand of servo do you guys use? I still use a standard servo, but plan on making a faster one my next purchase. I don't care what brand it is, I just want one in the area of .15-.17 at a good price. Right now I have seen a few JR and Hitec servo's that fit that discription.

Even if you have any suggestion, still chime in with your servo brand and speed. And please no flaming other people's equipment.

holy ear guy 08-30-2001 09:53 AM

i used hitec when I first got started andit wore out the brass gears so it wouldn't center up at all. doin the fish tail down the back streach.
I now use a JR DZ8450 which I feel is the best buy. its got a transit speed of .08 @ 6.2 volts. its digital and the fastest servo I've owned. the service is good with JR as well as novak. no it has never been serviced but some guy dropped his radio on concrete and had it 2 weeks later fixed.

Darkseid 08-30-2001 10:01 AM

holy ear guy: man you just recounted almost the same thing a friend of mine told me at the track about his experience with the Hitec servo then with JR. He also mentioned the service at JR. Thanks for the input.

MikeR 08-30-2001 10:19 AM

Heya, An important note to mention is make sure the hi speed servo has atleast 100oz of torque as well. A fast servo with no torque in a sedan kinda renders the speed useless.

I'm using the Sanwa ERGsuper hi speed/ torque all metal. No servo saver used in over a year.

milf 08-30-2001 10:29 AM

For my Pro 3, is a Hitec 525bb .15 ( i think ), but for my XRAY T1, KO Propo 2123fet digital .06 sec. 111oz at 6.0 volts :)

Darkseid 08-30-2001 10:37 AM

0.6! Jezzz, Man! I can't even imagine using a servo that fast! I would like to go with KOPropo, but man do those things cost an arm and a leg. But, I guess all the fastest ones do.

Darkseid 08-30-2001 10:45 AM

MikeR: 100oz/in.! You really think it needs that much? Thats like thirty pound motertruck power.:eek: Our cars only weigh a little over three pounds!:D

RacerTex 08-30-2001 10:56 AM

I have the JR 8450 and the Hitech 5925. Both good and fast digital servos. The accuracy of centering is one of the most important aspects of a servo and that's why I will only buy digital servos. As for torque, anything over 90 oz/in. and speed - fastest you can buy. I say that for speed only if you have a radio that will allow you to set servo speed and exponential. Adjusting servo speed and exponential are some of the biggest factors in the "feel" of your steering.

Finally something to justify those expensive radios, right.

MikeR 08-30-2001 11:00 AM

Well, the average sedan weighs 50oz. so you can probably double that with the g-forces in a hi speed turn and before you know it that torque comes in very handy when you're throwing a car left and right. Considering how much traction and speed a sedan can carry a standard servo can slow down considerably with all the load bearing down on it.

Darkseid 08-30-2001 11:45 AM

MikeR: good point. Never thought of it that way. I am hoping to get a new servo on the next paycheck. Now what about Metal Gear. No not the video game, metal gear servos. Whats so special about them. I know their supposed to last longer and be stronger. Are they really?

fatdoggy 08-30-2001 11:55 AM

If the gears inside the servo are plastic then if the pressure on the servo is to much the teeth on the gears will break and the servo will not function properly, if at all, it will center off and you will have play between the gears which will make stearing harder to set right. With metal gears it is much harder to strip them or lose teeth, so they are a more durable option over plastic geared servos and can with stand much greater forces and harder jobs over a plastic gear servo that would just fail. Please someone correct me if what I have said is wrong. :) cheers

MikeR 08-30-2001 12:19 PM

I totally agree. Most high speed and torque servos do come standard with either aluminum or brass gears and bearings too.
I like not having to run servo savers with my servo to eliminate that extra slop a servo saver can create so metal gears in mine are a must.

Speedo 08-30-2001 03:36 PM

Darkside, a good servo makes all the difference in the world. I would suggest you go all out and buy the best you can find, cause you can cut .17 in half. My advise is to find a servo with a speedo of .06 to .14, and go with it.

I had a Hitec 925MG BB, and it was really bad at centering, it is great for off-road, but can't handle the abuse of on-road. So I bought a JR 4750. It is .12 and 96 oz in of torque. It isn't as torquey and fast as they come, but it is a VERY smooth servo. I got it for 75 bucks, a good deal.

Darkseid 08-30-2001 03:54 PM

Great responses guys. I see I have some choices to make. Keep the info coming. Thanks.

daniz24 08-30-2001 04:34 PM

I'm using Airtronics's ERG-VR and KO PDS-2143 Digital Servo. For electric the fastest servo is KO Power-FET Servo (0.05s at 7.2 volts)