Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

WOW, that KO sounds good. I would like to try a KO or airtronics or JR digital servo when my current JR wears out, I think they are the next big thing.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Speedo: Yeah, it does sound nice doesn't it. It goes for aobut $89.00. Not bad at all for the KO brand name and a very fast and very strong servo.

I think the digital units are like the FET boosted servos were like a few years ago. Some thing new and better. But, ultimately, they're some thing that most of us can do without......

........but, only if we have to!

All I have to do now is convince my wife that I really need a digital servo!
Old 09-03-2001, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Good luck Darkside I got my JR for 75 bucks (4750)
Old 10-04-2001, 01:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ok a few ????

if i upgrade my servo will it make my car notiably faster. all i do is just mess with friends and drag our cars. i always beat my friends pro3 by 3 cars. we both have 9 turn triples. wil i beat him by more cars with a better servo. also how much does a good one cost. and can i still use my cheap am controller with a better servo or do i have to buy a new expensive controller. i am just loking for sragging speed and what ever lil ege i can get. what u guys reccomend
Old 10-04-2001, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No a high speed servo will just give you more control over your car, it does not make the car faster.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

The guys at our club that are using KO Propo, are also very satisfied. I've never heard any bad about KO.

I'm using a Keil PS-4001. 0,1 sek/60deg, 6,4kg/cm. Digital. Metal gear. 6 volt. Double BB. Price where I live, is close to 75$.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

I think servo voltage is an important issue. Many low-end and mid-range ESC's only deliver 5 volt to the reciever and the servo. That is equal to limit the servo performance to about 75%.

So if you want to buy a faster servo, check the ESC BEC voltage. If you only got 5 volt, consider a 7,2 volt FET servo. Servos like KO Propo 7,2 FET, can be connected directly to the battery. The manual explain how to do it.

Another way to go, if you have a 6 volt servo and an ESC with 5 volt BEC, is to power the servo from the reciever instead. It's done by cutting the red wire from the ESC to the reciever. Next you use the battery connector on the reciever. But remember, it's needed to insert a normal diode (min. 3 amps) between the battery plus and the reciever plus. This is due to the fact that most recievers only accept 8,4 volt input, but a newly charged battery is about 8,8-8,9 volt. And a diode gives a voltage drop of 0,6 volt. (the ring on the diode, should point to the RX). Voila. 25% better servo performance for the price of a diode (½$).

However, the diode-trick aint the perfect solution. I've tried it for about a half a year. It worked quite well, but when I finally upgraded my ESC, the servo get even faster. I assume it's due to current limitation in the RX BEC. (My RX is a cheap one, no specs on the BEC amps)

A kind of conclusion: Either use an ESC with a high rated BEC (6 volt/2-3 amps) or use a 7,2 volt FET servo.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:57 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Thats an interesting point you've brought up Cole. I've never really check the output of the ESC I just assumed that they were all 6.0v, let me have a look!