Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Larger Grid Seperation a Good Thing? >

Larger Grid Seperation a Good Thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you feel that such a grid would be a positive addition to your event?
Yes. The point of qualifying is to get the better position on the grid.
80.77%
No. Not digging the challenge.
19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Larger Grid Seperation a Good Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
And you've seen that happen how many times in mod?? Restarts can happen, the point is they are less frequent in mod. I was in that race and drove thru it without contact...and everyone that made first start also made second start...with their radio...so you have exagerated your point a bit...huh?
Iv been racing there most of this season, and its the first time iv seen it happen. Of course i exagerated my point... I dont think anybody actually thought I was serious about radios flying all over the track, do you?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Time to get this thread going again. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been talking about this to several racers the past couple weeks and have come to a rediculous conclusion.

The club racers generally want more separation and a clean start. The faster, experienced guys generally want a tight start so they can pass or bump their way up a spot or two at that first corner.

Everyone I've talked to thinks the race director is really the guy to blame for a rough start. If the director allows this behaviour at your track , you will have to bomb the corner to prevent the guy behind from taking you out.

Bomb or be bombed. This seems to be the general strategy for the fast guys I talked to.

I, personally, will will respect my local drivers at the club level to avoid the pile ups. At big races, point series, and trophy races, I will join the fellow fast guys and bomb that first corner as I'm tired of getting punted by the guys behind me.

Is there any other solution?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
Bomb or be bombed. This seems to be the general strategy for the fast guys I talked to.

IFMAR starts for the mains Race the clock, not the hack infront of/behind you.

If that's too boring for people, then land-rush style starts are in order.

Any way of starting is gonna be whined about by some group or other.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xevias

.....I will join the fellow fast guys and bomb that first corner as I'm tired of getting punted by the guys behind me.

I am not sure that's even a solution. I mean does it guarantee you're not going to be wiped out?

One thing is for sure. The more people cross over to the dark side, the more likely it is poor racing manners will become the norm. I mean why shouldn't the guy you bumped in the first corner take you out later on in the race to overtake you? What then? Yelling on the rostrum and fist fights in the parking lot? You need to get over yourselves. This is not middle eastern politics. It's just a hobby and it's meant to be fun.

Not to mention the beginners who will be turned away by such incidents especially if their brand new car is going to be smashed and they have to wait for two weeks to get the parts they need to get back on the track.

Take it easy, enjoy, be nice. Doesn't cost anything and saves a lot of trouble. Good race directors can help as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I punt Ross and Colton and Joe, I cant catch Q Kyle or Zach yet... but im hoping.

I normally start in the back... Wait till the pile up happens in the first turn, then go through, and pile up in the second turn.

Then I'm in the back again.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

i think a larger grid sed. is retarded lets just make it easier instead of working harder to get better. first the tracks are not big enough for a bigger grid sep. were already using the whole straight. i think local tracks need to do heads up qualifying to better prepare for the mains at big races. it seems people just dont want to work hard anymore, they just want to be pampered, and want rules to be changed to make it easier for them.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
i think a larger grid sed. is retarded lets just make it easier instead of working harder to get better. first the tracks are not big enough for a bigger grid sep. were already using the whole straight. i think local tracks need to do heads up qualifying to better prepare for the mains at big races. it seems people just dont want to work hard anymore, they just want to be pampered, and want rules to be changed to make it easier for them.
Finally, someone that agrees with me...

I would have phrased that thought a little differently, but the point is the same - when you run qualifying heads up, there are fewer pileups in the main events. And if it ever came to running main events using IFMAR starts, I'd have to find room to pack a pillow and blanket so I could take a nap during my main. I would then courteously ask the winner to wake me when the race ended.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Finally, someone that agrees with me...

I would have phrased that thought a little differently, but the point is the same - when you run qualifying heads up, there are fewer pileups in the main events. And if it ever came to running main events using IFMAR starts, I'd have to find room to pack a pillow and blanket so I could take a nap during my main. I would then courteously ask the winner to wake me when the race ended.
This is why, (on the previous page), I referenced combining the "Headsup" start with each car having it's own individual time clock! The best of both starting protocal. This not only allows "EVERYBODY" the chance to get used to "Headsup" starts, but will also make possible a clean Qual run. If 3 or 4 Quals are run, then resort after the 2nd round, (groups the fast w/fast and the slower cars together). If thats too boring, and 4 Quals are run, then invert the feild for the 4th round. But keep the "Headsup Quals" for driver practice and spectator interest.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by el salvador
This is why, (on the previous page), I referenced combining the "Headsup" start with each car having it's own individual time clock! The best of both starting protocal. This not only allows "EVERYBODY" the chance to get used to "Headsup" starts, but will also make possible a clean Qual run. If 3 or 4 Quals are run, then resort after the 2nd round, (groups the fast w/fast and the slower cars together). If thats too boring, and 4 Quals are run, then invert the feild for the 4th round. But keep the "Headsup Quals" for driver practice and spectator interest.
Everyone's already on their own clock for qualifying, unless changes are made to the timing software to run all of the races as you would for a main event. This should, in theory, keep the 1st turn pileup from ruining a good qualifying run, unless the cars have already crossed the timing loop; once you've tripped "your" clock, any crash is going to hurt your qualifying effort...

Now we need to get everyone to agree to learn how to start "heads-up", and after a few weeks you'll see much better racing that's far more entertaining to watch...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation We must not be understanding each other !

Everyone's already on their own clock for qualifying, unless changes are made to the timing software to run all of the races as you would for a main event. This should, in theory, keep the 1st turn pileup from ruining a good qualifying run, unless the cars have already crossed the timing loop; once you've tripped "your" clock, any crash is going to hurt your qualifying effort...

Now we need to get everyone to agree to learn how to start "heads-up", and after a few weeks you'll see much better racing that's far more entertaining to watch...
So instead of waiting for the RD to call your name/# to go IFMAR style, it's Headsup, FOR PRACTACE purposes ! The more "Headsup" practace everyone gets, the better the Mains will likely be. Not every driver has access to a perminent track to "Hone" their driving skills. These suggestions are intended to help improve the quality of the racing experience, starting at the club level. This would, in turn, inspire/motivate drivers to attend larger events...Hopefully
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

You're right - we're not understanding each other... We're saying the same thing, and agree on the concept. Everyone starts on a standard starting grid (spaced normally - 5 or 6 feet between each car, 2 cars per row), and during qualifying everyone runs on their own clock, but starts together. When the main event occurs, the only difference is that everyone's on the same clock.

Getting back to the original topic, the key point is that the cars start 5-6 feet apart. If you get bombed by the racers toward the back of the line, talk to them after the race and express your disapproval. If you're clear (and firm) in expressing your displeasure, the offenders usually start respecting their fellow racers.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

You're right - we're not understanding each other... We're saying the same thing, and agree on the concept. Everyone starts on a standard starting grid (spaced normally - 5 or 6 feet between each car, 2 cars per row), and during qualifying everyone runs on their own clock, but starts together. When the main event occurs, the only difference is that everyone's on the same clock.

Getting back to the original topic, the key point is that the cars start 5-6 feet apart. If you get bombed by the racers toward the back of the line, talk to them after the race and express your disapproval. If you're clear (and firm) in expressing your displeasure, the offenders usually start respecting their fellow racers.
I think if you go back to that way it used to be with heads up starts for qualifying (clock starts at tone), everyone will be a lot cleaner and learn how to start without crashing all over the place.

It may seem weird, but all races were like this. In fact, you were ALWAYS required to move over for a faster car and most did because they knew they would run faster overall.

If drivers rarely start heads up, how can they be expected to do it right?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't have a problem with everyone qualifying on the same clock either. In fact, a few tracks in my area run qualifiers and mains this way, and there are few problems. Simply put, practice makes perfect.