Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed vs Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I still run brushed simply cause I have several plus a lathe & bag of brushes...
Same here. I would like to be able to run brushless in all my cars, but I simply can not afford that many BL systems (and I don't want to have to swap electronics all the time in the pits) and even once bought they would pay for themselves in a very long time.

I bought a system (LRP esc+ motor) for stock but again, if I had to buy one for all my cars, I would have to rob a bank.

Likewise in 540. I have a Tekin system but I have four cars to run it with. It cost about 300$ and that's too much to pay another three times. Compared to the price of a black can every half season, it means brushed it's still competitive cost wise. On the track, I don't have problems yet with the brushless systems I compete against, so no incentive really to hurry up and switch.

In stock, I just took my car out of retirment last two races and gave a really hard time to the top guys at the track. Acceleration is on par and so is top speed. If I am a lap down it's just becasue my skill is not good enough (let aside incidents like being wiped out and having to come back from the last place). I ahve managed however to come back and catch up with the race for the top as well, so it's all good. True, I hate the extra work involved, but my motors are still very much alive and kicking.

So there you have it. Track related constraints as well as price will keep brushed in the game for a while yet.

And yes, I agree, it is very difficult to compare BL with brushed directly. As demonstrated above though. It is however very easy to make the comparison indirectly in terms of cost and outcomes, and as yet this battle is not decided.