Wiki Posts
Search

Improve battery "Punch"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Clearing this UP for alot of guys

I ONLY Deadshort inbetween weekends NOT inbetween races.

My Day Starts or I arrive at the Track:
I take my packs out and start to unsolder the jumper wire on say 3-4 packs.Being they are deadshorted there is NO reason to discharge them or tray them at this time.
I will then trickle the cells till they get back to 5.4.
When they reach 5.4 you can then start a full charge.
I charge at 6.0 amps with a .05 cutoff in hotter weather(90+)either outside or inside with no A/C I lower the cutoff.
Say 90-100 degree's-.04 cutoff
100+-.03 cutoff
I will run the pack in practice for approx 6-7 minutes.I dont practice any longer than this due to overheating most motor's and only damaging them and trying to train my cells to run for that time ONLY.
When I pull the car off the track I will then Discharge down to 5.4 volts.Let it sit for a bit and when Im back to my pits after marshalling I will then put the pack on the tray till the lights are ALMOST out.(I only do this if Im going to run the pack a 2nd time that day.If not I will leave it on the tray till I have time to solder the wire across again and store them).
If I am going to run the pack again I simply pull them off the tray right before the lights go out and let the pack sit for 1hr 15minutes to 1hr 30 minutes.Do NOT force the pack to cool by a ice chest or something.This only HURTS the cells.A fan at low or medium setting is ok.Please **NOTE** just because the outside of the pack is cooled down doesnt mean the center or core is.
So 75-90 minutes is best before recharging.
If you are only using that pack once then simply discharge to 5.4 and then tray the pack.When all the lights are out for a while dead short and store.
The ONLY TRAYS to use right now are Integy Octane 2,Trinity Realtime 2 and 2.5 Due to resistors only
If you have the pack on the tray and the lights are out but when you start to deadshort there is still a small spark.TAKE THE WIRE OFF for a couple more minutes and then try again.

BigDog had a Great Statement -Remeber though Im NOT TELLING you to deadshort inbetween each race but each weekend.Big Dog is right when saying you have to train packs.Oval guys are famous for this.
If you have a Gen2 or 3 pack of GP3300's you will wanna do the following 2-3 weeks before you start deadshorting
1st week I would simply discharge to 5.4 and tray them.When the lights are almost out take them off and store them.
2nd week.I would discharge the pack to 5.4 and then tray them.Let the lights go all the way out and stay that way for about 2 minutes.Pull the pack off and store it.On this time when you get to the track the NEXT weekend you wanna put the pack back on the tray till all the lights are out for 3-4 minutes.Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then start charging.
Week 3.Repeat week 2 but start traying inbetween racing till the lights start to go out and let it cool before recharging.
Week 4 Same as week 3 but at the end of the day after you tray it last and let it sit for 3-4 minutes after the bulbs are out solder a wire from + to the -
Hope this helps and clears some things up.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

P.S.Guys if your not running towards the top of your area DO NOT deadshort cells.It would almost be a waste of time.You will NOT notice the difference usually expecially in offroad.
This is expecially the case if you cant keep consistant laps for more than say 6-8 laps.
You would NEVER be able to really tell.
If you can keep consistant laps then you may be able to notice the difference.
If you dont have a tray I do recommend them for Gen 2and3 GP3300's.You dont have to deadshort them but simply start putting them on till the lights almost go off inbetween races after your regular Discharging method.
Trinity RealTime 2 or 2.5
Integy Octane 2
Or if you dont wanna go to 0v and still get a guaranteed .5 per cell instead of 5.4 as a pack(Which is NOT a TRUE .9 per cell) then the new Rayspeed Tray is VERY nice.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I totally agree, that unless yer running towards the top, its probably not worth it.....BUT, some people still want the best....so regardless of what you tell them they do or don't need....they rarely listen. The key I was trying to get across is if your GOING to do it, do it right........visit the SMC site and PRINT OUT the instructions.

I am not near the top myself, but I love to tinker and try stuff out.....hence why I am starting my own battery/motor company here shortly. I didn't even bother trying to retrain my older gen 2 packs, simply tried what danny recommend(in email) and it worked great....gained about .02 in voltage, lost around 15-20 seconds in runtime....IR went down .1-.2. Danny said it works better on NEW packs from the beginning, but will work fine on older packs if done correctly.

Have fun and be safe.....

Later EddieO
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Improve battery "Punch"

discus, do you discharge the packs to 5.40V/pack before you charge them when you;

Originally posted by discus18
If I don't discharge it after the race day and store it "as-is", the pack would give me more "punch" the next time I use it.
?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by TexRacer
P.S.Guys if your not running towards the top of your area DO NOT deadshort cells.It would almost be a waste of time.You will NOT notice the difference usually expecially in offroad.
This is expecially the case if you cant keep consistant laps for more than say 6-8 laps.
You would NEVER be able to really tell.
If you can keep consistant laps then you may be able to notice the difference.
If you dont have a tray I do recommend them for Gen 2and3 GP3300's.You dont have to deadshort them but simply start putting them on till the lights almost go off inbetween races after your regular Discharging method.
Trinity RealTime 2 or 2.5
Integy Octane 2
Or if you dont wanna go to 0v and still get a guaranteed .5 per cell instead of 5.4 as a pack(Which is NOT a TRUE .9 per cell) then the new Rayspeed Tray is VERY nice.
The rayspeed exceed equalizes each cell to .9 and you can then condition them to .1. I don't understand, you say it doesn't guarantee 5.4 a pack? .9 x 6 is 5.4
Old 01-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Texracer, why tray them after performing as you qutoed "your normal discharge method?" Discharge them twice? Please fill us in. I don't know about any of you but I'm not discharging my packs twice especially after they naturally ramp up their voltage after their first discharge.

Last edited by webspinner; 01-19-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Try it out. It works !! After full charge the 7.2v battery pack, use a 12v automotive battery "zap" the 7.2v's for 1-2 sec. Result:- FANTASTIC But will shorten the lifespan of the pack.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

K guys when you discharge a pack thats soldered together down to 5.4 thats not guaranteed to be .9 per cell.Why do you think trays were invented?
It's to guarantee that it's .9 or even lower per cell.
The bulbs,reactor,turbo30,35,or other discharge device is discharging the PACK not individual cells like a tray will.
I charge the pack,run it in the car for the 5 minutes of racing,then after the race I discharge it as a PACK(Due to this is how it's trained to run)at 20-30 amps down to 5.4 as a PACK.If racing this pack again I will let it sit for 1.0-1.5 hours and then charge it again to run it a 2nd time in the same day.I have gotten better results doing this and than charging the pack,running it for 5 minutes,letting it sit and then charging it back up.I dont like this method and have gotten better results from what I said before.
I ALWAYS discharge inbetween runs.Just like you would a nicad.
The reason I go from bulbs,reactor,or discharger to a tray is the discharger Im using is a 20-30 amps and most trays are less than 2-5 amps.You dont wanna discharge long amounts of time on a tray at this low of a amp level when the cells are matched at 30 and racing has higher amp draws.When it's at 5.4 as a pack I then put it on the tray to take the cells to at least a guaranteed .9 per cell but also lower.When a cell is this low the amp level isnt as crutial.I have had the best luck doing this.Again guys I DONT deadshort the cells inbetween charges on the same weekend but from weekend to weekend.
Hope this clears some things up.If not read it again.