the state of onroad electric racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the state of onroad electric racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Are there any "roadies" that also race 1/8th nitro offroad? There's no mod or stock. Yet I see lots of new people buying the nitro rtrs and showing up to race. When you see them driving out of control you tell them to slow down. You see them coming to track during the week to practice and learn to control the speed. And soon you have a new racer in the business - whether or not they are slow or fast they keep coming back.

Something's working for 1/8th offroad scene because I'm always seeing new people getting started there. There's no talk of slowing their cars down to attract more racers or have more fun. So I don't understand all this talk of slowing the cars down. Maybe the onroad manufactures should take a look at the offroad scene to help boost the onroad scene. That's "IF" they want to.

I do race both and I'll run mod if thats what the fast guys are racing at the track but its always 13.5(the new mod). BTW I was at Trackside a few weeks ago practicing mod(5.5) rubber and had a blast.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I was at the 1/8 off road nats race this weekend, and those cars are slow compared to an on road car. Not less difficult to drive at a high level, but slower in straight line speed. They don't take off like a foam sedan out of the corner, either. So, guys can get them around the track ok, and they are really hard to break (some of the landings off the triple had to be seen to be believed).

I'll probably never be able to backside a jump correctly, but in offroad your car does not come of the track in 3 pieces as often as it does if you stuff it in sedan. That's why there are a ton of people trying out 1/8 offroad.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slow
Are there any "roadies" that also race 1/8th nitro offroad? There's no mod or stock. Yet I see lots of new people buying the nitro rtrs and showing up to race. When you see them driving out of control you tell them to slow down. You see them coming to track during the week to practice and learn to control the speed. And soon you have a new racer in the business - whether or not they are slow or fast they keep coming back.
As I said in my post, make the fuel tanks 4X bigger and eliminate the restriction on engine size, and see how controllable they become.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if lowering Volatage is the answer then Life cells could be it.

6.6 V per pack with CRAZY fast charge time (up to 25c charge?)

some vendor already selling this on RCtech and I forgot their name.

Mike blackstock, please dont stop expressing your expert opinions, few may sound like attacking you but their is lot more ppl who enjoy them

had blast with TC yesterday at out east coast championship @ Jackson, NJ http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...aceway-11.html

how bout you guys?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Roar should allow you to run stock and mod at the same event. An example for me is the upcoming paved nats. I would love to run all three sedan classes however I will run stock and superstock because I have a far better chance of making the A in stock than mod. I know I will not be super fast in mod but I will be decent as I practice modified on the host track for this years race quite often. I would not run mod foam sedan at a large carpet race since I am not good enough but if it were a large outdoor venue I would have no problem with running mod.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
If you want the mod class to grow, you have to make it accessible to slightly above-average skilled racer (just as it was up until 5-8 yrs ago). Otherwise, you'll be racing the same 8 people at every National event.
Slowing the cars so that more people can drive them is easy. Make a 10-turn limit, 1S batteries, whatever. But based on some of the responses I have read, the problem is that the drivers only want to race when they have a chance to win.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Slowing the cars so that more people can drive them is easy. Make a 10-turn limit, 1S batteries, whatever. But based on some of the responses I have read, the problem is that the drivers only want to race when they have a chance to win.
+1
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
The answer is either to lower voltage by going to 1s, or make the Timing boost speedy's illegal and have a turn limit. Not both.
If you lower the voltage all these "timing boost speedy's" are going to be that much more important then they already are...and they are. Less voltage makes everything electronic that much more important. So going to a motor limit like 10.5 for carpet tracks and 6.5 for asphalt tracks might be a better idea and easier to keep things the way they are with out too much associated cost.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Rick like I told you last time I saw you in a random airport last fall "you are SO wise"

I'm not even kidding for once
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

I don't see it as a chance to win, but more of a chance to be competitive.

Racers of my skill level feel they can be competitive in a 10.5 class, but not in an unlimited mod class. Hell, I've done it already, and have seen it at the Grand Slam events this past season.

But I can also say with confidence that at this stage in my life, I'll never, EVER, be able to run in mod with the current structure. Sad thing was, go back 10 years, and I could run mod. That's how out-of-control the speeds are now.

Do any of you honestly think that it's going to get BETTER by leaving it alone and FORCING people to run in a class they don't want?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
Rick like I told you last time I saw you in a random airport last fall "you are SO wise"

I'm not even kidding for once

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
I don't see it as a chance to win, but more of a chance to be competitive.

Racers of my skill level feel they can be competitive in a 10.5 class, but not in an unlimited mod class. Hell, I've done it already, and have seen it at the Grand Slam events this past season.

But I can also say with confidence that at this stage in my life, I'll never, EVER, be able to run in mod with the current structure. Sad thing was, go back 10 years, and I could run mod. That's how out-of-control the speeds are now.
What about with 1-cell 1/12? Do you think that this will slow the modified cars enough for the typical Super Stock guy to be able to drive them with confidence? Will these drivers run mod/superstock instead of superstock/stock?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

What about with 1-cell 1/12? Do you think that this will slow the modified cars enough for the typical Super Stock guy to be able to drive them with confidence? Will these drivers run mod/superstock instead of superstock/stock?
It may. It will be a good litmus test.

In my case for the Grand Slam series this season, I know for sure I'll be running 10.5 1-cell 12th instead of 17.5 1-cell 12th for that very reason.

(I also hope for the day when we no longer have nonsensical class descriptions like "17.5 1-cell Lipo 1/12 Masters".......sounds like jibberish.)
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The other component is also the regular guy who might want to try mod but they feel they will be in the way. The cars are so fast, you don't want to screw up somebody's chances, especially if they are a front runner. There is a huge disparity is speed from the a main pace to someone of normal human abilities.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had limited testing with 1 cell 1/12 mod and it was still reasonably fast. I hot lapped my mod tc still but only by .3 instead of .5 with the mod 1/12.

The thing with 3.7v tc is you are looking at running half the voltage of a 8.4 v pack where 1/12 you are only dropping a volt or so. The TC speed I think will still be fast but be a lot more driveable because of the less punch.

Has anyone ever run a 10.5 compared to a 4.5 motor. The 10.5 motors are more like on/off switches and although the 4.5 motor is all around faster it is much more driveable on the low end. Having the 3.7v will make the driving even more controllable on the low end.

I like the 3.7 v personally because you can use any motor, any brand and still feel like you are fast. In 3.7 1/12 I did not use any timing boost with a 4.5 and it was not exactly easy to make runtime. I have to imagine if you try a 3.5 or something lower in a tc, with the extra weight and drag on the drive train I don't think timing boost will come into play because you'll dump. I think the timing boost comes more into play with the 10.5t 8.4v system.

At our last race in 10.5 we had 2 top drivers using the timing boost speedos and they blew up a few motors a piece, also different brands. The modified motors are much more durable and last a lot longer than the spec 10.5's. That is another reason I like the 3.7v/open motor rule.

The only thing you need for the 3.7v system is a receiver pack which can be fairly large since there is more room in the car(you wont have to charge it but once a day) and you'll be able to use the same speedos you have now but turn off the boost.

It's all moot until we actually test it but the cars will handle better and you'll use up less tire with the 3.7v system which will make racing cheaper.

Again all my opinion.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
I hot lapped my mod tc still but only by .3 instead of .5 with the mod 1/12.
(you'd hot lap your mod tc with a stock 12th).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.