Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tires for electric on Road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Foam tires for electric on Road?

I usually race buggies, but recently got into Electric 1/10th Touring cars and I am just getting used to the choices for tires. I'm a little confused about foams though. When should I switch from rubber to foam, what size do I run (legally), and when trued, what size and what grip compound works? Sorry for the questions, but the tire thing is intimidating and I don't want to confuse Nitro with Electric.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Re: Foam tires for electric on Road?

Originally posted by edseb
I usually race buggies, but recently got into Electric 1/10th Touring cars and I am just getting used to the choices for tires. I'm a little confused about foams though. When should I switch from rubber to foam, what size do I run (legally), and when trued, what size and what grip compound works? Sorry for the questions, but the tire thing is intimidating and I don't want to confuse Nitro with Electric.

run 26mm for electric. Rubbers are rated by Temperature whilst foamsare rated by hardness. Say 30 Shore are really soft whilst 45 shore are really hard. Keeping in mind that rear and fronts are different... so 40 fronts and 40 rears are different. Hope this helps

Last edited by Kennedy; 01-05-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think TRC and Take Off are the best choice for high performance......
Take Off is very low wear and very good performance....
TRC has higher wear but I always ran faster with them.....
I should you run either tire brand from 35 to 45shore.....for asphalt tracks....try a little softer compunds for carpet racing (30 to 40 shore)...

However you'll find other brands that offer very good products, I'm just writing my opinion about products that I've ever used...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

So how do you know whether to run foam or rubber and what traction to put on the foam?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Since you are from San Marcos, I dont think there are any places to run foam tires with an electric car anywhere near. Sorex 36R's, or Take Off CS27's are the tires to get. 24mm rim.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

I do go up to SoCal and since I travel with work, if I had down time I could bring my car and race in other cities. I have had good luck with the 36R, but when is it time to switch to foam? I know the rubber is dependent on track temp, but I'm really in the dark about foam. Do I switch only for carpet, concrete or what? Help.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I really only run foam on carpet. Charlie is holding a race on concrete in a couple weeks, and to be honest, I've never run on concrete before, so I dont know what's gonna work there...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Randman. Is this your rule or a general RC rule for tires? Sorry for being such a newb, but it seams in Nitro people run both on asphault and there must be a general rule for electric. I would hate to show up at a race with rubber and everyone else has an advantage with foam and I haven't a clue why.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That's rule of thumb somewhat. Usually carpet tracks will run rubber tires for stock, and foams for mod, so you can get away with rubber just about anywhere really..
Old 01-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. That helps a lot. Now if I only understood more about the principle of it, instead of following blindly. Is there an onsite resource?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah....

rubber and foam tires will work great, depends only of a good choice.....
I'm sure you won't go wrong with the compounds I suggested on my last post.....

for rubber tires I prefer SOREX....always Sorex, the best performance and lower wear I've ever seen....
Take Off rubber tires also works great, but I hate the inserts who come with them and that's one why I run only Sorex rubber tires, once I have to buy inserts I prefer run Sorex, it comes without insert and i prefer nothing than Take Off medium inserts.....

You should try Sorex 32R and 36R.....with HPI Soft Rounded Pro Molded YELLOW "RED DOT" insert or softer....
Old 01-05-2004, 10:56 PM

Post foam

usually.....greens work almost anywhere.....
ALMOST....
Old 01-05-2004, 10:58 PM

Post inserts

running mod.....
i always run sorex with firm inserts
it keeps the sidewalls from collapsing at high corner speed
Old 01-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

I've run the Sorex 36r's and they seem to be o Kay. The older Losi soft ones with the pink dot were grippy but wore out fast. Do you use foam on asfault too? The Yokomos I've run seem to be really hard and since it is winter, I think I'll shelve them till it gets hotter this next summer.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:22 AM
ant
Tech Apprentice

foam work well on carpet and bitumen dont even bother
trying to run them on concrete.
for bitumen try around 40shore and go from there
also i run 40 rears allround and get a lot more turnin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.