R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Need Help Deciding, TC5 OR XRAY? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/311221-need-help-deciding-tc5-xray.html)

capturefx 07-11-2009 09:46 AM

Need Help Deciding, TC5 OR XRAY?

Hi everyone, im thinking of upgrading from my hpi e10 to maybe a TC5 OR XRAY. what do you guys think??? need help deciding. im stuck. lol.

thanks.

devin4444 07-11-2009 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by capturefx (Post 6053478)
Hi everyone, im thinking of upgrading from my hpi e10 to maybe a TC5 OR XRAY. what do you guys think??? need help deciding. im stuck. lol.

thanks.

What parts does your track have more of

Cpt.America 07-11-2009 09:57 AM

Front yard bashing, get the TC5. Ultra competative racing, get the Xray.

hound_dogs_01 07-11-2009 10:03 AM

definately the xray... its built so much better han the TC5 ever could have been..

theres a reason why EVERYONE compares their cars to the xray line

Alex

Ritchie T 07-11-2009 10:05 AM

Who would buy a TC5 to run in the front yard :weird:

kn7671 07-11-2009 11:57 AM

Xray, everytime.

I think if you just browse through these threads for about 15-minutes you will this repeated over and over and over, as well as the cost being higher on the Xray, just repeated again and again.

I wish the search feature was working, but as I stated in another post, look at the Associated TC5 as a Ford Fusion, and the Xray as a BMW 3-series. It's not that it really has that many more features, but the quality of the Xray is superb compared to the Associated. If you don't want the headaches or quality issues to bug you down the road in a year or two, just buy the better car up front. :nod:

Originally Posted by Ritchie T (Post 6053516)
Who would buy a TC5 to run in the front yard :weird:

I'm hoping he misspoke, cause I don't think a TC5 would last long or get to far in the front yard unless your front yard is "Brady Bunch" style.

goop 07-11-2009 12:28 PM

how about the new TOP PHOTON read there thread nothing but great reviews and a great price to match.

RFALLON 07-11-2009 12:31 PM

+1 for XRAY

Twiztid Rock 07-11-2009 12:36 PM

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how you feel about your car being out of date less than a year after you buy it. Al in all, the Xray is a better car, but the car changes every year, and parts can be hard to get for a car that's only a year or 2 old. Also the Xray is more exspensive, and the parts are more expensive. However, you get what you pay for. Xray builds some of the best car in the biz, so if you can put up with some of the BS, Xray is the way to go.

Nick Priest 07-11-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 6053497)
Front yard bashing, get the TC5. Ultra competative racing, get the Xray.

You don't follow Rc racing much do you..

The Tc5/R/F is more than competitive enough to go against the likes of Xray... Infact :eek: my tc5r just beat many xrays in the local league and they're more than capable drivers... well.... maybe one of them isn't :lol:

not home 07-11-2009 12:53 PM

the tc5 is a well capable car of winning races. they dont break easily for one and parts are available all over and are not too expensive. Keven H. wheels his tc5 against an xray and is usually right behind it. sure, the xray is a much higher quality car but it breaks easier and parts are stupid expensive and are not the easiest in the business to find.

RFALLON 07-11-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twiztid Rock (Post 6053819)
It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how you feel about your car being out of date less than a year after you buy it. Al in all, the Xray is a better car, but the car changes every year, and parts can be hard to get for a car that's only a year or 2 old. Also the Xray is more exspensive, and the parts are more expensive. However, you get what you pay for. Xray builds some of the best car in the biz, so if you can put up with some of the BS, Xray is the way to go.

It doesnt matter if the car changes every year. you can still get parts for the 008. All of the parts on the 008 and 009 are the same.

kn7671 07-11-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by not home (Post 6053844)
the xray is a much higher quality car but it breaks easier and parts are stupid expensive and are not the easiest in the business to find.

I doubt you can quantify this statement, as I having owned both a TC5 and an Xray, I can verify 100% that the TC5 breaks easier and parts wear out (get sloppy) much quicker.

Give me a list of what's wrong with the Xray and compare to the TC5 issues:

Integrated Servo Saver, sloppy design, easy to strip.
Wheel Bearings are thin/narrow 6x10x3, which go bad quickly.
Plastic Diff outdrives wear quickly
Shocks are hard to bleed, shock body and shaft wear quickly
Steering knuckles top/bottom screw strip out easily
Aluminum ball studs and ball cups wear quickly
Diffs are open-like design, flinging diff grease out and all over the place
Carbon Fibre chassis is lower quality and cut poorer than Xray.
Suspension Arm hinge pin holes wallow out creating sloppy suspension
Chubs and Rear hubs break easily and screw holes strip easily (all AE stuff)
Shocks are not externally adjustable
Belts are super stiff and not flexible, creating drivetrain drag
Motor mount bulkhead is offset of main bulkheads, offsetting motor weight to one side
Motor mount bulkhead attaches to lower chassis and other bulkheads, not top and bottom chassis

rezenclowd3 07-11-2009 01:45 PM

These are my 2 favorite posts related to running the cheaper TC5 from a VERY fast driver:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5957721-post9847.html

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr (Post 5957721)
Well that's why I was away from TC's for over a year. I hadn't had to pay for or pay full price for anything since 2004. Back then a good kit was $275 and cells were $60 a pack and it just seemed like you didn't need as much stuff. When I left Schumacher I picked up a Serpent and quickly realized how much it can cost and how hard it can be to run a European touring car at full price. It was an eye opener. I can't wait until my car comes in and I get to run again.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5954771-post9841.html

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr (Post 5954771)
Damn, caught me a day late. Just ordered a new chassis and some other parts last night. Oh well. It was only $40. And I'll have a back up. I'll see what you have Saturday. I won't have the car yet, but I think I'm going to be running Ray's Cyclone while he's running the races.

As far as TC's go, yup, back where I started. Not being sponsored anymore, I had my pick of what to run. The TC5 just seemed like the most solid and cost effective car to run. In all honesty I would have liked to go with an Xray, but their tendency to release a new car every 10 months or so and trying to get parts at twice the cost really was what kept me from going that way.

capturefx 07-11-2009 01:53 PM

THANKS EVERYONE! ... yeah i keep hearing good things about the xray..i met this guy at the hobby store and he recommended the xray but i dint really know much about it .. untill i did my reasearch, i was going to buy at tc5 until i ran into the xtray.. thanks everyone for helping me make the decision.. im going for the XRAY! :smile: