Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best way to balance your TC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Whats the best way to balance your TC?

I was wondering what the best way to balance a TC was, and were should the weight be placed on the car. Does is make a lot of difference to the handling of the car?

Currently my car is balanced at 1503g with a 1500 limit. But i want to know should there be more weight on the centre of the car or more on each side. Currently all my weight is on either side of the car, with no weight on the centre line of the car. I have 40g behind my motor, 30g under my receiver, 10g on top of my servo and 10g in front of the servo. On the battery side im using a 50g battery tray, which brings the battery further out. I also have 20g behing the battery and 5g in front of the lipo.

Is my method correct or should i use less weight on the sides and put more weight in the centre of the car. What will ths affect regarding to the cars performance? With the weight placed how i have it now the car should transition and change direction quicker but are ther any negatives to this.

Thanks Antoni

Last edited by Yokomo_Ant3; 07-07-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
With the weight placed how i have it now the car should transition and change direction quicker but are ther any negatives to this.

Thanks Antoni
No, the farther from the centerline you place the weight, the slower and lazier your transitions and direction changes will be. It will feel more stable, but less nimble. I would still run the plate, and use as LITTLE of weight as possible to get the car balanced from right to left. What ever weight is still needed to reach 1500, place that weight straight down the middle of the chassis inbetween your battery and electronics.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is the thing I'm trying to figure out right now about how to get the best weight distribution / balance. If you weigh the four corners of the car, I'd guess you'd want the front two corners to weigh the same, and the rear two corners to weigh the same, whatever that weight is, but I guess it would depend a lot on the weight of your motor, and where the motor is positioned in your car. In the TC5, the motor is towards the back, but some motors are positioned more towards the middle.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default modified lead weights

This is an idea for anyone who would like to try it. It works well for me and keeps the chassis almost perfectly balanced from left/right with that particular li-po in the pic, weighing in at 1530 grams now when I exclude the lead weight at centerline. To get 1500-1501 grams I can remove one of the Xray 30g weights from the centerline.
Attached Thumbnails Whats the best way to balance your TC?-img_0391.jpg   Whats the best way to balance your TC?-img_0392.jpg   Whats the best way to balance your TC?-img_0393.jpg   Whats the best way to balance your TC?-img_0395.jpg  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Get as close as you can side to side. It will be tough in most cars to accomplish. It may end up being up to 50 grams different, so don't panic. do the best you can with your basic set up before adding weight.

Also, stay with more weight forward in the area of 52% front 48% rear. Never go below 50-50 and nothing above 55-45. You will find your set up changes more weighting front to back more so than left to right.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
No, the farther from the centerline you place the weight, the slower and lazier your transitions and direction changes will be. It will feel more stable, but less nimble. I would still run the plate, and use as LITTLE of weight as possible to get the car balanced from right to left. What ever weight is still needed to reach 1500, place that weight straight down the middle of the chassis inbetween your battery and electronics.
Shoudn't the car transition faster because the weight is already on the side so the car will lean easier into the turn? Not doughting you, but this was my initial thoughts and this is why i put the weight were i did.

On my car T2 009, i have the manutech tray which i was using but i found it to heavy and i coudnt balance it unless i started drilling about 40 holes in the thing. Which i didnt want to do. THats why i went to the lighter tray.

Thanks everyone. I would like to hear some more oppinions on this topic because it is pretty interesting.

Antoni
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

But it also has to counteract the weight you put on the opposite side. Weight on the sides is going to cause the car to lean more which means when turning the opposite direction it has more to travel to get back to center and the opposite side.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Heres a question. How do you know when a car is balanced and go about doping it?? Its not like you can weight half your car?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Best way would be having a small scale under each wheel. Check this thread.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
But it also has to counteract the weight you put on the opposite side. Weight on the sides is going to cause the car to lean more which means when turning the opposite direction it has more to travel to get back to center and the opposite side.
Oh ok thanks for explaining that to me. Im starting to understand the theory better now. I think i will change the way the weight is arranged on my car, and hopefully i can get it reasonably balanced again.

Has anyone with the manutech tray managed to get there car balaced with the car weight approximatly 1500g? Thats using the approx 120g tray. Mines weighs 113g. If you have managed to what did you have to do to it? I dont really want to start drilling away at it to much. Also im using a ip 5000 30c lipo, approx 270-280g.

Many thanks,

Antoni
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Oh ok thanks for explaining that to me. Im starting to understand the theory better now. I think i will change the way the weight is arranged on my car, and hopefully i can get it reasonably balanced again.

Has anyone with the manutech tray managed to get there car balaced with the car weight approximatly 1500g? Thats using the approx 120g tray. Mines weighs 113g. If you have managed to what did you have to do to it? I dont really want to start drilling away at it to much. Also im using a ip 5000 30c lipo, approx 270-280g.

Many thanks,

Antoni
I use the manutech tray with my 009, and by slowly-but-surely drilling out the holes, I was able to get a perfect 50/50 side to side balance without adding any weight. However, you will be UNDER 1500 grams. From there, simply add your remaining weight back to your chassis, right down the centerline.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I use the manutech tray with my 009, and by slowly-but-surely drilling out the holes, I was able to get a perfect 50/50 side to side balance without adding any weight. However, you will be UNDER 1500 grams. From there, simply add your remaining weight back to your chassis, right down the centerline.
Ok good news. If you dont mind could you check how much your tray weighs? I have already started drilling out the holes supplied on the tray. I went up 2 drill sizes, and it only lost 1g Also what battery are you using?

Thanks,

Antoni
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Harbour Freight had mini digital scale for sale. $10 each. So bought four of them.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

We dont have any weight rules where I race so added little wieght to mine. I started with all the electronics as far in as possible and the car pushed real bad...i put the electronics to the outside edge and balance it with a side plate on the battery side and it made a world of difference...
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Lord

Ok good news. If you dont mind could you check how much your tray weighs? I have already started drilling out the holes supplied on the tray. I went up 2 drill sizes, and it only lost 1g Also what battery are you using?

Thanks,

Antoni
Sorry I didn't see this reply here. My tray was about the same weight as yours, and I ended up drilling all of the holes out, to about 4 times their initial size to get the car balanced (the holes are about as big as a dime). How much you have to drill them will completely depend on what electronics you are running, so go slowly. It doesnt matter what lipo I am using... it matters which one YOU are using. You have to drill, measure, drill, measure. . . etc.. I think I drilled and checked weight 20 times. I used a dremil and it made short work of the manutech tray. Once its 50/50, weigh your car to see how far under 1500g you still are, and add that weight BACK to the car, right down the middle. Don't forget that the body and body clips add up as well, so you don't want your car to be 1500 with no body... you will be over by quite a bit once the shell goes back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.