Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Foam Tire Glue....HELP!!!! >

Foam Tire Glue....HELP!!!!

Foam Tire Glue....HELP!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Foam Tire Glue....HELP!!!!

OK, I’m hoping someone out there in the world wide interweb can help me. Back in the day (mid and late 90’s) I use to mount my own foam tires to the wheels. I use to have to coat the tire and the wheel separately, let them dry, then dunk them into lacquer thinner and slide them onto the wheel.

My problem is now that I’m getting back into this (a decade later) I want to mount up some foam tires, but can’t seem to find the glue/adhesive at the LHS.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good glue/adhesive or know of a shop that sells it? If you can suggest the name of the product and not just “rubber cement” that would be nice…but at this point any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Vyg
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You are looking for contact cement. Your local hardware store, even wally world and the big K should have small cans with applicator tips (same can Jack used to come in - with the brush attached to the cap).

Apply to both sides, allow to dry, swab with lacquer thinner and slip together (quickly).
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think the old name was AJ's Black Magic Tire glue, it was black and came with a donut horn.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Weldons Contact cement I think in white cans (used to be).Who's got donuts(1/10th) at reasonable prices?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Back in the real day, like 1980, we would use a product like 3M contact adhesive (Yellow Death), aka, weatherstrip adhesive. It worked OK, but failed frequently.
I used a product from Delta mfg. available in a pint can and occasionaly in a gallon size. This stuff simply worked great.
You might Delta and see if they will tell you what it was and then go buy it.
Good Luck
Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

does parma/pse still make some stuff ? I remember them having something back in the day as I recall
Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As far as I know CA is used to mount tires now.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll check my local hardware stores to see what’s available. I recently purchased a Tamiya F104 and I don’t like using the kit supplied tired tape to mount up the tires.

Thank you again everyone!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

You want Bear Contact Cement - or some other similar product

Look here

I personally use the one in the tube - coat the complete inside of the tyre and the complete outside of the wheel and leave till they are dry. Then paint with Mineral Turps (probably thinners would be the same) which makes them slippery and able to be worked into the correct position before the glue dries. They won't come off.

I've just rediscovered the art to this after 15 or so years as we started racing F1 again here in Brisbane, Australia. Good luck with it.