Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Dean's Ultra Plugs... can't get them apart or together! >

Dean's Ultra Plugs... can't get them apart or together!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dean's Ultra Plugs... can't get them apart or together!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dean's Ultra Plugs... can't get them apart or together!

Hey all,

I have replaced all the plugs on my Micro RS4 with Deans Ultra plugs. I am pretty decent at soldering (I use a hot iron, 60/40 solder, tin the end and the items to be soldered and try not to overheat anything...) and I got good solder joints and got them shrink tubed up all nice and pretty. And I followed the directions on the bag to a t.

Problem is that I can't get the darn things to go together worth a flip. I can hardly push them together without pliers and I can't get them apart at all without holding each side with a set of needle nose.

Anybody have any advice? I HATE Tamiya plugs, but if I bash my knuckles with these things one more time, I will add deans plugs to my list real quick!

Thanks!

Chris in Atlanta
Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Deans plugs are a REAL pain, thats why I use trinity P-Minus connectors. Or hardwire.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink

Seems like everybody is using them though... I must be doing something wrong. That or being 6'4'' with pretty strong hands is just not enough
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use deans plugs sometimes... you probably melted the plastic and shifted the metal prong. If you use too much heat or hold the iron on too long it's easy to do. I would heat the prongs up and try to straighten them out.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I would solder them with a 40 watt iron.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey, unless you're racing against Barry Baker, it's not worth the miniscule difference in conductivity. Go with Power Poles. There easy to build and easy to get on and off!! www.duratrax.com
Old 01-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

I started using deans instead of bullets and tamiya plugs and have since switched to hard wiring, much quicker and easier. The best plugs around imo are the corally plugs, but if you don't pay attention to what your doing you do run the risk of connecting your battery in reverse.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use deans because i must have 20 pigtails sitting around. More convenient than soldering all the time i want to swap packs.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, you may have melted the plastic when you soldered them... I've got a trick for soldering them that works great for me. Tin one side of the deans plug you're going to attach the wire to. Then place the wire on a flat surface that won't burn (you'll know why in a second) then get some needle nose pliers and hold the deans plug on TOP of the wire with the tinned side down touching the wire. Now, touch your soldering iron to the top side of the pin that is going to attach to the wire... It will get hot enough to solder the wire and the plug together, remove your soldering iron and keep pressure on the deans plug with the needle nose pliers until it sets... And there you have it, a very good solder for a deans plug and you won't melt the plastic (unless of course you touch the plastic or hold the soldering iron there too long).

J
Old 01-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Ok, here's a FOOLPROOF way, attach the female plug onto the make, then solder.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default they get

easier as you use, them at first there really hard to work.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

I've had siilar experience with mine. If you leave the iron on the metal too long, the plastic that holds the metal will start to melt and it throws off the alignment. It is often hard to notice. Grab a new set, and see how they go together before soldering, it should be much different than the ones you're having trouble with. You're probably getting a good bond, but the plastic starting to melt. You have to be quick.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

i like deans, replaced everythin with them.. and they work fine, once you use them for a bit they get easier...
Old 01-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Initiate

This is also the way I solder them, I also wrap a rubber band around the handle of a pair of pliers this makes them spring loaded to grip them with out touching them, they get dam hot!! attach the female plug onto the male, then solder.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up jitsuguy, awesome idea!!

hey jitsuguy,..tried your trick this am, and it works GREAT!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.