Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Intellect battery question (help please) >

Intellect battery question (help please)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect battery question (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Intellect battery question (help please)

Hi all,
i am about to buy 4 intellect 6 packs of loose cells to build some 4 cell packs for 1/12th racing and wanted some advice.
my options are intellect:
- 4200mAh world champion version
- 4600mAh
- 5000mAh

cant really find any specs so if someone could help, that would be great. i wanted to know which to go for. they are all the same price. i was tending towards the higher mAh, but if the world edition ones have more punch i will get those. does anyone have experience with these?

Also, is there anything special i have to do when they arrive before building the pack like match the cells? if so, how? i have a SJ supernova competition charger that can dishcharge. do i just drop them to 0.9v per cell to match them or some other way?

Thanks for any help i receive.
Alex
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Default ???

anybody?
surely someone here has used these batteries...
Alex
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

Don't buy 4200, those are the most unstable cells ever made. The 4600's are good, never had problems with them. I have no experience with the new 5000.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

Default :)

Yeah i had read that recently about the 4200's.

ok, so they're out. that means its between the 4600's and 5000's. its another week till pay day so i'll see if any more opinions pop up, otherwise i'm going with the 4600's as i have heard they're good from a bunch of people.

thanks
Alex
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We still have the IPs available...really strong cell.

http://www.redrc.net/2008/10/speedzo...00-nimh-cells/
Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default oo :)

Hey Gavin,

what sort of price for 24 of these, including shipping to Bunbury, western australia, 6230

thanks
Alex
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HaraR40
Hi all,
i am about to buy 4 intellect 6 packs of loose cells to build some 4 cell packs for 1/12th racing and wanted some advice.
my options are intellect:
- 4200mAh world champion version
- 4600mAh
- 5000mAh

cant really find any specs so if someone could help, that would be great. i wanted to know which to go for. they are all the same price. i was tending towards the higher mAh, but if the world edition ones have more punch i will get those. does anyone have experience with these?

Also, is there anything special i have to do when they arrive before building the pack like match the cells? if so, how? i have a SJ supernova competition charger that can dishcharge. do i just drop them to 0.9v per cell to match them or some other way?

Thanks for any help i receive.
Alex
IT batteries have been outlawed at my local track due to cell exploding!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hairy
IT batteries have been outlawed at my local track due to cell exploding!
Cells exploding? thats a bit scary

They're the IB cells that i'm looking at... mainly cause i can get them in packs of 6 for $33. so i'll get 4 packs and make up 6 4-cell packs.

Also, does anyone know what connection goes onto the L-Shaped battery bars on the cells. i see people have batteries that have these little bars on them but the wires connect to them from the ESC somehow? Don't know what the connection is....
thanks
Alex
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

those IP cells look like the IB 4600's cause the way the fold over ridge is shaped on the positive end it is the same as IB's. Personally i would not recommend them as IB batteries are very flaky and has ppl have said sometimes explode, I would recommend instead Energ 4600's as they are great reliable cells (Ive owned GP's, IB's, and Energ's) And I definitely say they give the most punch
Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HaRar40. I don't think you would get much of a help regarding NiMh. I am pretty new to and all I have done is a lot of reading from the archives in forums.

Here is a little advice based on what I know so far (anyone feel free to correct me):
- L shape bar is for the side cells in a saddle pack that has wire soldered onto it.
- Expert racers don't use plugs anymore. They solder ESC wires straight to the battery for better current flow. I personally think the current loss you get by using plugs is worth the hassle. Unless you are racing in a world tournament or something.

I am waiting for IB5000 cells to be delivered some time next week. I will let you know how the cells perform, if that is not too late.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Tech Addict

Default :)

Na, thats not too late
let me know how you go. The SMC EnerG's do look great but i cant seem to find any that ship to Australia for a decent price.. and i will be using clips onto the battery bars. i'm not soldering a new pack onto the esc between races.... i think my slack of driving skill will let me down before the resistance difference between solder and plug will haha

anyway, let me know how the 5000's go and if anyone has a good source for the Energ's please let me know.
thanks
Alex
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by HaraR40
Hey Gavin,

what sort of price for 24 of these, including shipping to Bunbury, western australia, 6230

thanks
Alex
Alex, YGPM.