Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Snowbird Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Just a thought Mike but I know the new LRP SXX SS doesnt require a receiver pack and operates on single cell voltage. I know that before in 12th scale with 4 cell packs that in mod if you got close to dumping sometimes the transponders signal gets week as its designed to operate at a higher voltage. I wonder if with single cell at the end of that run if the voltage was simply to low to pick up the signal from as far away as hupo's did with a receiver pack? Or perhaps it was the load put on the car pulled the voltage down a tick when you hit the wall and popped a wheelie (all that LRP HP!!). I do think that the MRT transponders have a pretty strong signal and have a cap system in them that will keep them powered for about 20-25 sec after the vehicle has been cut off.

Just a thought. Either way great race by both of you!!

EA
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Again, just curious. No complaints. Was the loop under the track or was it a bridge? A transponder mounted on top of the servo is not really ideal for an under track loop.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Just a thought Mike but I know the new LRP SXX SS doesnt require a receiver pack and operates on single cell voltage. I know that before in 12th scale with 4 cell packs that in mod if you got close to dumping sometimes the transponders signal gets week as its designed to operate at a higher voltage. I wonder if with single cell at the end of that run if the voltage was simply to low to pick up the signal from as far away as hupo's did with a receiver pack? Or perhaps it was the load put on the car pulled the voltage down a tick when you hit the wall and popped a wheelie (all that LRP HP!!). I do think that the MRT transponders have a pretty strong signal and have a cap system in them that will keep them powered for about 20-25 sec after the vehicle has been cut off.

Just a thought. Either way great race by both of you!!

EA
I think I remember a similar situation at Cleveland many years ago with Josh and I think it may have been John Orr. They crossed the line with Josh being slightly ahead but the win went somehow went to John.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Blackstock congrats on the win, just an unfortunate situation that definitely shouldn't take away from a downright awesome race!

It probably would not solve all the problems (will always be signal differences), but you guys are right a rule for transponder placement would help. To add to what Gilles said, in Nascar whether it be a Cup car or Modified the transponders are all in the same location and it is strictly enforced.

Also that location would need to be measured off of something that is in the same relative location on all cars in relation to the wheels. I know it sounds stupid but you'd be suprised the difference in locations you'd get if the rule was "transpoder as far forward as possible".

I forget the exact measurement but on any nascar sanctioned vehicle it is something like 15" behind the center of the rear axle housing, mounted on the outside of the right side framerail. And they really dont like it when its not in the location <G>.

just wanted to say thank you to Mike Boylan and crew for an awesome race and a great time. I am sure officiating any race of any kind is never an easy task and there are always going to be compromises but awesome job to you under the circumstances.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You're right about rules interpretation Donny. I say that if there is going to be a rule about it, do not put it in the front of the car. Better protection further back.

How about something simple like "Transponder must me mounted in front of the car's center line but may not extend forward of the front tires."

You would still have some flexibility in mounting but they would all be within a few inches of each other.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Great job on the win Mike!!!

Would have been interesting to see the "Signal Strength" readings on the AMB decoder for both cars after the race was over. Just to see if one was WAY higher than the other.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Indycar Transponder location is 33" off the tip of the nose, Nascars is about 3feet off the rear bumper. There is a reason major racing sanctions use a camera is to prevent this fiasco, both of them use cameras that will score down to the .001 to .0001 depending on the FPS used. Also, depending on how the transponder is mounted will make a huge difference on when it is picked up in the line. A upside down transponder will get picked up earlier by the line.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dang, I missed all the fun.. After Fridays onroad quals I spent most of my time in the local hospitals and finally made it home Wednesday.. I really wanted to see the Carpet racers movie too... The first 3 days looked liked everything was going smoothly....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

King, sorry to hear you were sick. We missed you in the F-main. Lynn and Tomoso (sp) had a great race. The rest of us were just there to take up space lol. cya next year!

Thanks again to the entire snowbirds race crew, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Has anyone seen the footage from the pace truck for the enduro? Wondering how it turned out?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tmunno
King, sorry to hear you were sick. We missed you in the F-main. Lynn and Tomoso (sp) had a great race. The rest of us were just there to take up space lol. cya next year!

Thanks again to the entire snowbirds race crew, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
Thanks Tony. Lynn looked real good this year, I wish I could have raced with youse people but after Friday I could not stand up for very long ( back to back operations, 3 1/3 hours ) but not I'm repaired I can't wait to start racing again...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Oh man sorry to hear that Rick...Hopefully you recover soon and can get back on the track!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Oh man sorry to hear that Rick...Hopefully you recover soon and can get back on the track!
THX, Slow healing process.. The killer was the flight home after.. Meds or no meds it just about killed me.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Birds on rctvlive.com

New show featuring the 2010 Birds is up. Looks like everyone had fun.
www.rctvlive.com
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

See what Blackstock and Hupo had to do was finish fourth like I did. This way there is no discussion!! LOL!! Great run Mike and Hupo!! I wish I could have gotten a little love in the start to try and join the fun with you guys!!

Snowbirds 2010 was a great race and although there were a few "incidents" I think they were necessary because I can promise you that if those situations ever repeat themselves there will be a set of rules to go by and the correct decision will be made.

See you all in 2011!!!!

Butter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.