Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Snowbird Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd like to thank both Mike Blackstock and Josh Cyrul for helping adjust the on-road layout before practice started on Monday. When we arrived on Sunday a prediction about the previous sweeper design was made for Larry Fairtrace by his good buddy Jason Schreffler:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dear Xtreme RC,

I don't read magazines, but I'm buying a subscription to yours. Thank you for one of the best race videos (perspective wise) from a big event in a long time. If you have the other races, we'd love to see them.

Mod Rubber A-Main
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is the first I have heard about Mike's transponder being in the back of the car (other than speculation). And now Mike says Hupo's was even further back. There have been numerous incidents of this happening before, though not many at this level and not all of them can be blamed on transponder position.

Someone else mentioned that other racing series mandate the location of the transponder. This is true, yet they still review the photos in the case of close finishes.

I remember watching an NHRA race years ago. The loser according to the lights was clearly ahead by a good couple of feet at the line, so they reversed it.

Since the club announced that they would go by computer only, then I guess my comment that it "went the wrong way" is sort of wrong. I just think it's unfortunate when there is clear evidence that the computer is wrong. But those are the breaks and it doesn't affect me anyway so I will drop it.

Last edited by wingracer; 02-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Dude chill. This is the first I have heard about Mike's transponder being in the back of the car. And now Mike says Hupo's was even further back. There have been numerous incidents of this happening before, though not many at this level and not all of them can be blamed on transponder position.

Someone else mentioned that other racing series mandate the location of the transponder. This is true, yet they still review the photos in the case of close finishes.

I remember watching an NHRA race years ago. The loser according to the lights was clearly ahead by a good couple of feet at the line, so they reversed it.

Since the club announced that they would go by computer only, then I guess my comment that it "went the wrong way" is sort of wrong. I just think it kind of stinks when there is clear evidence that the computer is wrong. But those are the breaks and it doesn't affect me anyway so I will drop it. How would you feel if this happened to you? I bet you would be raising more of a stink about it than Mike is.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Lord

Last edited by wingracer; 02-05-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Knock it off!

Using text to set the tone of a conversation is difficult. You two don't need to make it worse than it is.

Dad has spoken.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default Fine I removed my posts are you happy?

I did not start any trouble for you to have to do that. I mearly stated my opinion on the subject and was told to chill out! I really don't give a darn about it and you can bet that I won't be enetering my opinion again. you guys need to grow up!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Kraig
Knock it off!

Using text to set the tone of a conversation is difficult. You two don't need to make it worse than it is.

Dad has spoken.
Yes dad

Hey I wasn't there anyway and Mike seems OK with it so it's all good. Maybe I'll make it down next year.

I am curious though, did anyone get pics of both cars without bodies? Would just like to see if there was more than 4 inches worth of distance in their transponder locations.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
I did not start any trouble for you to have to do that. I mearly stated my opinion on the subject and was told to chill out! I really don't give a darn about it and you can bet that I won't be enetering my opinion again. you guys need to grow up!!!!!!!
Well...there are other things that I could have done which would have really ticked you off but I didn't want to do that. My intent was to not let things get blown out of the water. I didn't want things to blow up in front of us

Sometimes when you put text down on the screen it doesn't come out right or is taken the wrong way. Believe me, you are not the only one as I have done it many times...just like my previous post.

I apologize if I offended you.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes dad

Hey I wasn't there anyway and Mike seems OK with it so it's all good. Maybe I'll make it down next year.

I am curious though, did anyone get pics of both cars without bodies? Would just like to see if there was more than 4 inches worth of distance in their transponder locations.
I talked to both Mike and Hupo while I was at the Snowbirds (before this incident occurred...) and I saw where their transponders were located. Mike had an AMB transponder mounted on top of the steering servo in his 10R5. Hupo had an MRT transponder (one of the black ones) mounted on the right side of the chassis of his GenX-10. I would say Mike's transponder was mounted a little further forward than Hupo's. Another thing I noticed was that Mike's transponder has definitely seen some use as it no longer had a sticker on it and had the numbers hand-written in Sharpie pen on it. Hupo's MRT transponder looked brand new.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Dear Xtreme RC,

I don't read magazines, but I'm buying a subscription to yours. Thank you for one of the best race videos (perspective wise) from a big event in a long time. If you have the other races, we'd love to see them.

Mod Rubber A-Main
This video is definitely a keeper.

For more electric racing action, check out my YouTube Channel.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

While I agree Mike's car crossed the line first I would say the transponder would have to be what rules. Most races don't even have a camera at the finish line and trying to interpret who crossed first in such a close finish is too subjective.

That said, wouldn't it be nice if cars left a place for the PTs to be installed that was standard? Kind of like the CRC cars have? It is one of the few things in RC that is standard in size. I guess it is a little tricky on a TC because they all have open spots in different areas but I guess it could be figured out.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Are there any pictures from the WGT cars especially the BMI?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't searched through all the posts on the transponder issue, but it seems position is the issue being discussed. However, bear in mind that certain computers, and certain race-count software systems, take a long time to process the signal. It won't be the first time that two cars sending a signal at almost identical times have had their positions transposed.

It isn't good to assume that the problem is transponder position, as it might be due to processing issues in the computer, or the software. It's just like 2.4 Ghz - if you don't leave the Tx on for at least 10 seconds before switching on the Rx, you can risk not picking up clean channels for the radio to work on.

Still, I'd rather have a PT and its system than go back to ten people behind a desk punching a button to recored laps at races!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.