R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Want to get HPI CupRacer...some Q's

Traveling to Hong Kong tomorrow for two weeks, and am looking to pick up one of the Datsun 510 CupRacer from HPI. This is pretty much still new to me, as I haven't touched a kit-type R/C car for many years and am behind the current trends.

Apparently, I'll need the motor, battery and the radio system. What would be a decent setup for bashing around the house and outdoors (doesn't have to be top of the line, not that great of a RC'er anyways, won't appreciate it)? Any upgrades, like new shocks etc? Does the body come painted?

Thanks, Brendan
BurgerKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This months R/C Car has an article and review on them that covers a couple different setups. Probably worth a read as it might help.
paco62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I'm going to be brutally honest here since I had a CR. There was a handful of us at my LHS that have CR's. And of us, my CR was the only one that was what I call a sweetheart. It ran great each time and everytime. It had handles and had speed. My other buddies with CR's had anything but sweetheart cars. There are 2 very big weaknesses on the car: part no's 85281-10 and 85285. These 2 parts break almost too easily. I gave up on my CR since at the time spare parts were very hard to come by and I was being impatient. I notice now that parts are available. Perhaps even HPI has improved the quality of the parts.
That all said the CR isn't really an entry level kit. It's quite sophisticated for a M-type chassis (LOL, a certain someone around here calls it "overengineered".) It's not yet available as an RTR and doesn't include any electronics (motor, esc, battery) And, yes you do have to paint the body.

If you do get a CR, bookmark the "New HPI Cup Racer?" thread on these boards. For me it has proven to be the most help with the CR than anything else.
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I guess its worth a shot....really like the end product, and the fact the engineering of the chassis.

Regarding that thread...its a long read....is there a feature where I can view all of the posts on one page?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

NVM, read through the entire thread....everything from people's builds to the trolls :P

Looking to run a silver can setup. Any recommendations for the radio system and batteries?

EDIT: Where can I get the replacement parts? HPI directly? Or are there hop-ups available from another retailer? (85281-10 and 85285)