Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ's for VTA

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up FAQ's for VTA

Im not trying to start a keyboard fight but to all the whiners that got tired of answering questions for the New racers of Vintage Trans-Am. Here is the new thread were you can post questions about general VTA were you shouldent have to wory about geting flamed. questions from Electronics, chassies, parts selection Ect. basic beginner questions to help you get into the hobby. There is a thread if you have "setup" questions so K.I.S.S here. welcome all to the experienced that can help the New just like we were. hope this thread catches on with your help.
Support the troops and your local VTA Racing
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Just to let everybody know, we're not going to be allowing anything except the Novak motor. The bodies allowed right now have actually been raced in the real Trans Am series, if you want to try other stuff at your local track, feel free. We won't be changing the national rules. You can only use the treaded Vintage tires, no slicks.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Just to let everybody know, we're not going to be allowing anything except the Novak motor. The bodies allowed right now have actually been raced in the real Trans Am series, if you want to try other stuff at your local track, feel free. We won't be changing the national rules. You can only use the treaded Vintage tires, no slicks.
Thanks for adding that robk also to cover the questions about the Esc's currently in the "rule book" there are no limitations. always subject to change.here is the link to the rule book. http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
rules may differ slightly with the track director in your area but these are the rules that should be followed Thank you all to those that provide postive information and we welcome the questions you may have.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

USVTA Official site
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

General Trans Am thread
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...am-racing.html

Trans Am set up help
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-tuning-q.html

Trans Am race scedules and additional information
http://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Vin...ng/91556229573
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you are curious about what cars raced back in the day.

http://www.trans-amseries.com/results.htm

This page only lists results from 1966-1972 but i've found that if you change the year at the end of the URL you can search other years.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is some general information that people new to VTA might find useful.

VTA wheel selection
A quick search on TowerHobbies for HPI Vintage Wheels will show quite a number of selections (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...vintage+wheels). Currently HPI does not offer pre-mounted Vintage wheels, so the tires will have to be glued to the wheels.

I have found that the non-chrome (matte or plated) wheels have less issues with the tires coming un-glued. Inevitably if I don't remove the chrome plating where you super-glue the tires to the wheels, I have issues with the tires pulling away (with the chrome plating) from the wheel.

If you are a new racer or have never glued tires before, I would recommend using the non-chrome wheels for your first attempt. You should have fewer issues with the tires coming unglued from the wheels, which can adversly affect handling. It is a good idea to check the tiire after a run to make sure they are secured all the way around to the wheel.

If you do decide to go with a chrome wheel, it is a good idea to remove the chrome plating where the tire contacts the wheel. There are many ways to do this from using a wire brush tool on a dremel to sandpaper. It is a good idea to use a dust mask while removing the plating.

A few additional items.
The front tires/wheels for VTA are 26mm and the rear tires/wheels are 31mm. Make sure to check your packages when you buy them.

The treaded Vintage tires are the only legal option. HPI makes Vintage Slick tires which are not legal. HPI also makes Vintage Drift tires which actually work quite well to drift outside.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Here is some general information that people new to VTA might find useful.

VTA wheel selection
A quick search on TowerHobbies for HPI Vintage Wheels will show quite a number of selections (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...vintage+wheels). Currently HPI does not offer pre-mounted Vintage wheels, so the tires will have to be glued to the wheels.

I have found that the non-chrome (matte or plated) wheels have less issues with the tires coming un-glued. Inevitably if I don't remove the chrome plating where you super-glue the tires to the wheels, I have issues with the tires pulling away (with the chrome plating) from the wheel.

If you are a new racer or have never glued tires before, I would recommend using the non-chrome wheels for your first attempt. You should have fewer issues with the tires coming unglued from the wheels, which can adversly affect handling. It is a good idea to check the tiire after a run to make sure they are secured all the way around to the wheel.

If you do decide to go with a chrome wheel, it is a good idea to remove the chrome plating where the tire contacts the wheel. There are many ways to do this from using a wire brush tool on a dremel to sandpaper. It is a good idea to use a dust mask while removing the plating.

A few additional items.
The front tires/wheels for VTA are 26mm and the rear tires/wheels are 31mm. Make sure to check your packages when you buy them.

The treaded Vintage tires are the only legal option. HPI makes Vintage Slick tires which are not legal. HPI also makes Vintage Drift tires which actually work quite well to drift outside.
Great wheel tip I wish I knew that one when I had my first set another tip is to PrePrep your tires before you Mount/Glue them. Give your tires a nice coat of traction compound and seal them in a plastic baggy over night. get as much air out of the bag before you seal it. This will help your tires "break in " faster since the D- Compound is a harder compound and a bad lack of traction untill then and I believe it was covered by robk but Vintage Slicks are NOT aloud
Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Taken from another thread but good information. Currently the Corvette body is NOT allowed in USVTA racing. Again offical rules can be changed at any time
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

F.A.Q.: Why are the same questions asked over and over by newbies in VTA?

Answer: Because VTA is the only class that's still gaining newbies, and that's a great thing!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

VTA the best thing to come along since bread and butter
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Kind words from all and the class will only get better over time. regardles if you have 1 day experience or years of experience in this class we all need to do our part to help welcome the new into the hobby. no matter how little the question may be or how simple we may think the answer is its being asked because they dont know. That is why I started this thread so we can all come ask questions and be welcomed with open arms everyone in encouraged to add to the thread. as newbies come in or rule changes there will be questions. Lets keep the class strong and growing
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Great thread guys!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Been a while so time to bump it up.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Time to bump it up. Most everyones racing will be starting soon and im sure there will be more Q's from the VTA Guys and Gals so feal free to add anything you feal would help and for the ones that don't know feal free to ask with out any flameing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.