Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Questions about a drifter >

Questions about a drifter

Questions about a drifter

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Questions about a drifter

Me and a few friends of mine recently bought some of those new thundertiger sparrowhawk dx drift rtr cars. I enjoy driving it at night as it has lights and it is electric, since i cant run my big cars at nigh because of all the noise the nitros make. One of my friends upgraded the motor and esc to the traxxas Velineon system and it doesnt seem to drift as well at all, he tried different gearing combinations and different tires and everything and still no luck. My question is do you guys have any ideas why this would be happening, because i would like to upgrade to a brushless system so i could drift and get higher speeds while using rubber tires instead of using these annoying plastic tires that come with it. Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i read these forums all the time and i think you guys have a great community going here and i get alot of useful tips and tricks from all of you here

Thanks All
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

they have the car pretty dialed from the factory, adding more power with the stock tires is gonna make it harder to control, try some hpi drift compound rubber tires. The stock setup make for nice easy drifting, when adding more power/grip its gonna get harder to make those long linked drifts. The most fun my friends and i have had was with stock tamiya silver can motors and pvc tires. slow as hell but kept the cars very close and controllable for tandem runs.

It all just takes practice and the right tires for the amount of power your running. he can also try to dial down the power a little to get some of the control back or just learn to use his throttle finger a little gingerly
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah i agree with you on that man i mean its fun as hell to drive and drift, id just like to get a brushless on there so i could get more power, and also run lipos. Id like to be able to drift with some of those hard rubber compound hpi tires, i go through those plastic tires so quick and its just addiding up quick. Just wondering if anyone had a brushless drifter setup that worked well, because with my buddies it just seems that the tires want to hook up instead of drift, like my stock setup drift better than his with the brushless setup
Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

most of the RTR drifters are built for beginners so they are tune to drift with the stock set up out of the box, fiddling with them usual ends in fail...
if you really want to go brushless and lipo (nether is needed for drifting) get a TT01 or some other cheap kit you can build up the way you want. If you feeling like spending more you can looking into the hpi sprint 2, or the flux.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

lets me ask you this is he spinning out or is it hard to get a drift started?

they are right tires are the key the more power you putting out the more grip you going to need to keep a drift going. sounds odd right. try drifting a 5.5t motor. on speed run i hit around 60mph now. if you wont to go burshless get the ez-run 5.5t motor with the 60amp esc w/ programmer card. you can pick it up on ebay for about 95 to 110 bucks. you can go form 5.5t down to i think 17t if you set program the esc. its still going to be fast but at the same time, you wont to miss with someone just clean the esc back to stock and your running 5.5t again. as for tires i would go the the hip high speed drift tries, if your running more then stock then you need drift tries with tread. pvc works well for slower cars under 20t if you cut groves in the pvc you might be good for 17t. you say you run nitro car. just keep in mind elc is a lil diff you haft to watch you gearing b/c you can over heat the motor. when drifting it will heat the motor up more b/c the motor is running as if it not under load.

this should help you out in tire chose and all that. http://www.rcdriftclub.com/home/archives/14
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for your response man i appreciate the help, so what your telling me is the faster the motor the more grip the tires need to have in order to hold a drift? Also are you familiar with the car i am talking about, the thunder tiger sparrowhawk dx, it has a 17t brushed motor and i want to upgrade to a brushless motor so i can get higher speeds and drift at higher speeds but im afraid i wont be able to drift as nice as i am know with the stock brushed motor and the plastic tires. Do you understand what i am saying i know its a little confusing. Also i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good brushless motor for this car, i was looking at the losi excelleron (sp.) but wasnt sure about that. I just dont want to put the money into a brushless setup and not drift well like my friend who is having that problem.

Thanks for all the advice man i really appreciate it, i want a high speed drifter that i can use some sort of rubber tire instead of these cheap platic thunder tiger ones i am having to use now that wear out so quickly
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Shinta,
you said you had a 5.5 turn brushed motor, what company do you have, or what would you recommend, I've been looking around and I've found some high quality motors, but none in that range all seem to be between 10 and 15 turn motors and my car came with a stock 17 turn motor and i'm afraid a 15 or 14 turn motor really wouldn't make too much of a difference, then again i'm pretty new at electric. Thanks for your input and any and all suggestions are welcome i would like to hear what you all have to say, i'm looking to turn up the heat a little bit on this little thing. I know that the HPI sprint drift cars drift very well with these hard compound rubber tires, but with the setup i have and those tires all the car wants to do is hook. Thanks you all for taking the time to read this topic and help me with my decision, i am new to these forums and am excited to be a part of the community
Old 07-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Initiate

element92788
here's some stuff for you to check out!

http://www.drccentral.com/old/rc-drift-faq.html

http://www.rcdriftclub.com/home/arch...os-diys/page/2

there are dozens of drift specific forums, if you send me a pm I will send you a bunch of links.

Last edited by popdada; 07-02-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by element92788
Shinta,
you said you had a 5.5 turn brushed motor, what company do you have, or what would you recommend, I've been looking around and I've found some high quality motors, but none in that range all seem to be between 10 and 15 turn motors and my car came with a stock 17 turn motor and i'm afraid a 15 or 14 turn motor really wouldn't make too much of a difference, then again i'm pretty new at electric. Thanks for your input and any and all suggestions are welcome i would like to hear what you all have to say, i'm looking to turn up the heat a little bit on this little thing. I know that the HPI sprint drift cars drift very well with these hard compound rubber tires, but with the setup i have and those tires all the car wants to do is hook. Thanks you all for taking the time to read this topic and help me with my decision, i am new to these forums and am excited to be a part of the community

its hobby wings just go to ebay and type in EzRun 5.5t brushless and esc. it will be the cheepest you will find it. i would suggest if you dont have it all ready to get a drift asset system there like 70 bucks but it will help.

that link i gave you get the name of the tire and go to a common online shop and see if you can get a price they are going to be around 18 bucks a set.

but yet more speed you have the more grip you need. if you have any more question just pm me and ask.