Wet Setup

Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Wet Setup

Ok im now in the position to have a wet car. Its a Schumacher mi3 with Brushed Peak 19t and waterproof MRT MX. Im going to seal the rest of the electrics, however i have no clue about setting up a wet car.

Where should i start ?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ritchie T
Ok im now in the position to have a wet car. Its a Schumacher mi3 with Brushed Peak 19t and waterproof MRT MX. Im going to seal the rest of the electrics, however i have no clue about setting up a wet car.

Where should i start ?
It still depends on the track, but....

Softer springs
Softer oil
Lay front shocks down
Stand Rear shocks up
Softer front roll bar (you might find it better without any roll bars at all)
Less Castor
More Ackermann
Negative throttle expo (-30 or so)

The main problem in the wet is getting the car to turn in (again it depends on how much grip the track has), but overdoing the settings to achieve this will mean it wants to swap ends coming out of the corner.

Also, get some spare bearings as you are going to knacker some of them.
Spray some GT85 into the bearings before and after each race (it's basically WD40 with teflon in it).

The wishbones could well swell up slightly after some wet use so make sure they are still free to move on the pivot pins.

Will post again if I think of any more
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skiddins
It still depends on the track, but....

Softer springs
Softer oil
Lay front shocks down
Stand Rear shocks up
Softer front roll bar (you might find it better without any roll bars at all)
Less Castor
More Ackermann
Negative throttle expo (-30 or so)

The main problem in the wet is getting the car to turn in (again it depends on how much grip the track has), but overdoing the settings to achieve this will mean it wants to swap ends coming out of the corner.

Also, get some spare bearings as you are going to knacker some of them.
Spray some GT85 into the bearings before and after each race (it's basically WD40 with teflon in it).

The wishbones could well swell up slightly after some wet use so make sure they are still free to move on the pivot pins.

Will post again if I think of any more
Thanks for the reply ! So basically soften it all up n make it less reactive n twitchy with no punch.

Also would it work better with a higher ride height?

BTW its for Bedworth this Sunday, it keeps saying its sunny one minute then thunder storms the next!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I suggest replacing any steel parts with aluminum or titanium. Steel screws and hinge pins will want to rust if left wet after racing.

Unless the driver's stand is covered, you will also want to consider coming up with something to cover your radio racing. With the advent of Spektrum/DSM radios, you don't have to worry about a big antennae poking out of the plastic you have covering your transmitter. Still, it is better to be safe than risk damaging the most vital part of your radio gear.

The last thing to consider is a dedicated set of wet tires. Depending on how you have been prepping your tires, they may not react well to wet conditions. If you have used any oil based traction compound that has soaked into the tires, chances are that it will affect grip.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I suggest replacing any steel parts with aluminum or titanium. Steel screws and hinge pins will want to rust if left wet after racing.

Unless the driver's stand is covered, you will also want to consider coming up with something to cover your radio racing. With the advent of Spektrum/DSM radios, you don't have to worry about a big antennae poking out of the plastic you have covering your transmitter. Still, it is better to be safe than risk damaging the most vital part of your radio gear.

The last thing to consider is a dedicated set of wet tires. Depending on how you have been prepping your tires, they may not react well to wet conditions. If you have used any oil based traction compound that has soaked into the tires, chances are that it will affect grip.
Oh crap i forgot about the transmitter, i know you can buy covers and things but its for this Sunday. Any ideas on making a makeshift one?

I have some wet tyres from a really long time ago i think theyre Pit Shimizu. I dont think theyve ever had anything put on them.

Thanks for the post
Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

Oh crap i forgot about the transmitter, i know you can buy covers and things but its for this Sunday. Any ideas on making a makeshift one?
The tradition if you don't have right stuff is....a plastic carrier bag

Also would it work better with a higher ride height?
This can sometimes help create some roll, if there are puddles then definitely, If there is any standing water etc anywhere I will run 7-8mm ride height and I've backed the droop screws right out.

From our recent national at West London
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The tradition if you don't have right stuff is....a plastic carrier bag

Niceee, im off to Sainsburys
Old 06-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Ok ill jack the height up a bunch.

Kinda looking forward to it hammering it down now!

Ha nice picture which ones yours?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Ok ill jack the height up a bunch.

Kinda looking forward to it hammering it down now!

Ha nice picture which ones yours?
Neither, I think what was a later Mod heat. But I did race in those conditions with brushless, was going very well until I got some moisture in the sensor lead