Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak GTB 4 cell ESC - use with lipos? >

Novak GTB 4 cell ESC - use with lipos?

Novak GTB 4 cell ESC - use with lipos?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Novak GTB 4 cell ESC - use with lipos?

I received a new GTB 4 cell/13.5 SS Pro setup in a bundle deal recently. As I plan to run 2s lipos, I was looking to trade out the esc for a regular GTB. However tonight someone told me that they have used the 4 cell GTB with 2s lipos for an entire season without issue.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? This person is someone that definitely knows what they are talking about, but if this is true I can't understand why Novak made a version labeled as a 4.8v only.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would ask Novak before anyone else. if it dosnt work and you smoke the ESC then your realy screwed, heres the link to the contact page. good luck
http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/contact.htm
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Miller time

Novak made the 4 cell version w/ NO heatsink or fan because that was what some 1/12th scale and OVAL guys asked for.

OVAL guys have been using these w/ 2s LIPO for quite some time w/ no issues...

It would depend on your application, and the temperatures you'll be running.

The basics of the ESC are the same , being 4 cell though, there is NO LIPO CUT OFF setting, so you have to make sure you KNOW how much you are running your lipo packs (especially if bashing vs. racing) or if you run longer than normal length races.

(The POPULAR oval class = 21.5/LIPO and in a 4 minute race you only use approx 1500 mAh of a 3200 battery) so a cutoff wasn't needed.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
.....but if this is true I can't understand why Novak made a version labeled as a 4.8v only.

Thanks!

I think the difference is so the esc comes from the factory with lighter 16awg wire instead of 14awg and the lack of heat sink makes it lighter and lower as well. I don't think it has lipo cutoff however so you have to know when to pull your car off the track. At one point I was going to buy the 4-cell version new from the Novak store for $100 but decided to get the remanufactured regular GTB for $110 and the 4-cell heatsink plate for $6. The wires I can change myself, this way I still have the option of running 2-cell lipo with automatic cutoff.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Ok thanks to all for the answers! I'll only be using it for 1/10 oval in a breakout class so I don't think heat will be an issue, but I'll keep and eye on it.