R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Losi JRSX type r on the way to me (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/306976-losi-jrsx-type-r-way-me.html)

Ride1226 06-23-2009 11:56 PM

Losi JRSX type r on the way to me

So I managed to pick one of these up at a relatively great price. It will be getting a mamba 5700 system in it on 2s lipo to run mod class. I went into my LHS where I spend alot of time and when I told my buddy what car I had picked up he basically said "im sorry..." After discussing the car with him he told me that the car was basically a failure. Supposedly it never worked right even in the hands of the creator, motors are hard to fit, and the car isnt even worth me trying to run when it comes in. Thats the impression he left me with. That really bummed me out on my new purchase because I thought I was getting a good car and now it seems I only wasted my money. I need thoughts and opinions from people with actual experience with the car. I read through some of the pages in the cars big thread but there was many side topics and I didnt get too much info. Any help with this would be great. Thanks guys. :(

vr6cj 06-24-2009 12:08 AM

To each there own, but I just bought one too and it's on the way.

The reason I bought one is because I love my xxx-s g+ and the Type-R is a updated newer car. Also because I was at my local track the other night and a buddy that was sponsered by Losi at one time was driving his 416 WE. Well he was having problems and couldnt get the 416 like he wanted in 13.5. Later that night he pulls out his Type R and I asked him, "What up?" He responded, "Well cant get the 416 we to 'work' in the corners like I want and I know this car works." He tq'ed in the 3 rd round with the old faithful type R.
The car has great balance and supports Lipos. It's always fast. Might not be the latest thing but it's a known consistant on the track. As he put it.

I think though the reason people are dumping them is because there's rumors of a newer Losi coming out and lets face it, there's alot new cars now.

Pablo Diablo 06-24-2009 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ride1226 (Post 5978397)
So I managed to pick one of these up at a relatively great price. It will be getting a mamba 5700 system in it on 2s lipo to run mod class. I went into my LHS where I spend alot of time and when I told my buddy what car I had picked up he basically said "im sorry..." After discussing the car with him he told me that the car was basically a failure. Supposedly it never worked right even in the hands of the creator, motors are hard to fit, and the car isnt even worth me trying to run when it comes in. Thats the impression he left me with. That really bummed me out on my new purchase because I thought I was getting a good car and now it seems I only wasted my money. I need thoughts and opinions from people with actual experience with the car. I read through some of the pages in the cars big thread but there was many side topics and I didnt get too much info. Any help with this would be great. Thanks guys. :(

Thats is some bad advice you were given.

The car has had some big wins in its time against some very big and much more supported teams. It has won at IIC and recently won one of Australia's biggest events. On top of that parts are quite cheap. Also no more tape for batteries.

Start to feel better about your recent purchase.

Ride1226 06-24-2009 01:04 AM

Im trying to feel better about it but this guy has never ever steered me wrong in the last 4+ years of working with him. He literally told me he had one on the shelves forever and couldn't even sell it and "luckily" was able to send it back. I couldnt believe that.

I sure hope I get some more people to testify against what he told me. So far Im really liking what you guys are telling me but I know that with forums, if the product isnt liked, it gets bashed and hard.

On a side note: how will the drivetrain hold up to a 5700 on 2s? And what pinion should I start with?

vr6cj 06-24-2009 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ride1226 (Post 5978540)
Im trying to feel better about it but this guy has never ever steered me wrong in the last 4+ years of working with him. He literally told me he had one on the shelves forever and couldn't even sell it and "luckily" was able to send it back. I couldnt believe that.

I sure hope I get some more people to testify against what he told me. So far Im really liking what you guys are telling me but I know that with forums, if the product isnt liked, it gets bashed and hard.

On a side note: how will the drivetrain hold up to a 5700 on 2s? And what pinion should I start with?

Drivetrain will hold up to anything current. 5700 might need that new Flying Fox mod to fit for the layshaft. Pinoin....well read the back of the manual. Has all that and maybe look at www.gearchart.com

Here is a link to Losi's pdf file of the manual and some current setup sheets.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodId=LOSK0256

razzor 06-24-2009 01:58 AM

absolutely nothing wrong with the Losi.
Last year a former SA champ dominated a national event with a 2 year old car and that in 27t and mod class.
Currently a guy running the chassis in 13.5/19t and he is running 19t brushed with lipo against the brushless guys and has been in the a-mains.
So its definately a capable chassis.

paraletic 06-24-2009 02:02 AM

what i was told the first jrx-s was difficult to set up but the type r is a very good car

tc3team 06-24-2009 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ride1226 (Post 5978540)
Im trying to feel better about it but this guy has never ever steered me wrong in the last 4+ years of working with him.

Guess you just have to prove him wrong :nod:

You've seen the evidence that the car can work well in the right hands, at a given track.

If life went along with never disagreeing with someone, it would be too easy... :D

JRXS_chris 06-24-2009 05:45 AM

The only problem I have with the car is the lack of support here in the UK.

I was the only driver (as far as the time sheets showed) out of over 100 at the BRCA Nats at Halifax at the weekend using a Type R. I did ok but it was up to me to work out a setup, gearing etc there was no one to exchange setup hints with. :cry:

Yeti35 06-24-2009 06:42 AM

Ride, the original JRXS was somewhat of a failure and only won one big race. The Type R has been a winner at some pretty big races which include Snowbirds, IIC, Reedy and I believe got some wins in Cleveland. Granted none of the wins were in Mod, but Losi has no mod drivers anymore. It is a proven car and you just have to get used to setting it up a little different from other cars. Locally for me we have three people running it including myself and we are all pretty fast with it. So I would ignore the shop owner and just get your car setup well then kick some azz with it. :nod:

Jochim_18 06-24-2009 06:43 AM

Losi is a very well balance car, The drivetrain might not be as efficient as the other TC car. But every TC out on the market is capable of winning races.

Like what I always say stick on what you have and work on it.

Lipo is a little pain to fit on the car specially 5000mah or higher capacity.

Cpt.America 06-24-2009 07:54 AM

Shop owner is a tool... the Type-R will work JUST fine, and is basically just as capable as any other kit.

vr6cj 06-24-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 5979652)
Shop owner is a tool... the Type-R will work JUST fine, and is basically just as capable as any other kit.

You know, probably what happen was that the shop owner was a little pissed that you got your car somewhere else and not at his shop. Then said that to you out of spite. People do that stuff

Ride1226 06-24-2009 10:32 AM

Some seriously strong opinions coming in. What he said is kinda backwards. He said the original JRXS was pretty good but the type R was the failure. Screw it dudes, Ima get this car set up. I havnt really looked into the whole layshaft thing. Can anyone explain that to me and show me where I can pick one up. I have only ever seen a few pictures of it. What exactly is it going to do for me?

And I guess you could be right about him saying that out of spite, but I dont really think that is like him at all. Hes not just the owner but a friend of mine, and no matter what I bring him he always helps me work out the quirks. Heck, I just spent about a grand building the new Hyper STe and bought everything off his shelves so he better calm down haha.

Pablo Diablo 06-24-2009 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ride1226 (Post 5980258)
Can anyone explain that to me and show me where I can pick one up. I have only ever seen a few pictures of it. What exactly is it going to do for me?

Here is another good pic of the shaft. http://www.redrc.net/2009/06/flying-...ype-r-layshaft
When you get your Type R pull apart your kit layshaft and compare it to what you see in the pictures of the FlyinFoxRC shaft. There is more info on its advantages at www.flyingfoxrc.com/products.htm