Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro >

HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro

HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro

Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro

hymm this should get intresting ...espically if it brings F1 racing back to certian areas that havent had it in a while....only question is how are these cars going to be classed the HPI car is set to run a 4cell pack where as the Tamiya car can handle a 6cell and probably be set up to handle a 4cell as well ....decidions decisions

WHat do you guys think
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daygoVR6
hymm this should get intresting ...espically if it brings F1 racing back to certian areas that havent had it in a while....only question is how are these cars going to be classed the HPI car is set to run a 4cell pack where as the Tamiya car can handle a 6cell and probably be set up to handle a 4cell as well ....decidions decisions

WHat do you guys think
Just an FYI, the HPI car can also handle six cells.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The HPI car is being listed as a 4-cell stick pack car on the HPI website. Without modding the battery holder, is there another battery holder available that will accommodate a 6-cell stick pack battery or lipo battery that will fit a stick pack compartment?

Any car can be modified to make it work, but I think it is better with F1 cars if you can stick as close to box stock or factory supplied upgrades as possible. There isn't enough support in the US for F1 classes if you start having one-off parts and cars that don't perform similarly.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wonder if the HPI is wide enough to hangle a 6 cell configuration...what i dont understand is why HPI insists on having a gear diff on their car, offering a ball diff as an upgrade - then will most likely come out with a "pro" version in X number of months.... all about marketing I guess

still I cant wait to see a side by side comparison of the 2
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vyger
Just an FYI, the HPI car can also handle six cells.

Correct. It will accept a 6 cell pack.

HPI was in Salt Lake City a few days ago for one of their "Demo Days" events. The Formula 10 car was one of many on display and we were able to look it over. The basic car looks good. The upgrades, like the ball diff, threaded shock, etc are coming as options.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

The gear diff is ideal for parking lot tracks, fit and forget, no need to worry with crud getting in and going notchy.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
The HPI car is being listed as a 4-cell stick pack car on the HPI website. Without modding the battery holder, is there another battery holder available that will accommodate a 6-cell stick pack battery or lipo battery that will fit a stick pack compartment?

Any car can be modified to make it work, but I think it is better with F1 cars if you can stick as close to box stock or factory supplied upgrades as possible. There isn't enough support in the US for F1 classes if you start having one-off parts and cars that don't perform similarly.
I don't know why they are showing it as a 4 cell car other than the body possibly being too narrow. That being said, they had a car at a Japanese F1 only race with 6 cells, a ball diff, aluminum pod plates, and Tamiya tires/rims (spec tires for the race) on it. Everything was factory anodized orange, which leads me to believe they understand that they are competing against Tamiya.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Madhat

Hopefully these can clear things up a bit. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

4 Cell/Kit Configuration

6 Cell Configuration. Notice the wider battery retainers.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for posting those pics up Vyger...

yes, the kit comes setup to handle a 4-cell configuration. there will be the optional 6-cell setup, that offers wider battery mounting braces/bars, as well as a wider body.

the 4-cell out of the box setup allows for slower speeds, easier to drive, less prone to break something, and the gear diff not only allows for a lower price, it is also a much more newbie welcoming design, and does not require makor maintenance...and with the very aggressive pricing this kit is going to have, it is actually intended as a fun, entry level, super realistic looking F1.

PS- Orion/round bottom Li-Po packs will fit

kits should be popping up in hobby shops in august!

Originally Posted by Vyger
Thanks Madhat

Hopefully these can clear things up a bit. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
]
Old 06-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by collinc
thanks for posting those pics up Vyger...

yes, the kit comes setup to handle a 4-cell configuration. there will be the optional 6-cell setup, that offers wider battery mounting braces/bars, as well as a wider body.

the 4-cell out of the box setup allows for slower speeds, easier to drive, less prone to break something, and the gear diff not only allows for a lower price, it is also a much more newbie welcoming design, and does not require makor maintenance...and with the very aggressive pricing this kit is going to have, it is actually intended as a fun, entry level, super realistic looking F1.

PS- Orion/round bottom Li-Po packs will fit

kits should be popping up in hobby shops in august!
Hey.. is this Collin as in HPI Collin?

it's Jimmy... Scott's friend with the Mini
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can tell you from the last time Formula 1 came out in the 1996 it was Tamiya/Kyosho vs HPI. No matter what you did to the Tamiya and Kysoho cars they did not handle like the HPI. This was because they both used a oversized 1/12th tire compaired to HPI 1/10th tires. Now if you make adaptors and make them the same it will work. I've got old adpotors for the rear axles to make them a regular american diff and one set for the front axle to make them 1/10th.Oh yes CRC also made a Formula one conversion kit to use Tamiya parts. I hope F1 comes back. I think I would go with the 3.7 lipo packs and whatever brushless motor the local guys want to run.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have to say I think thay orange with the black looks better than the purple HPI has used over the years.... 4 cells with the proper brushed motor on either car geared right might make for a fun "club" level racing

6 cells or lipo on either car with a higher end motor setup will probably make these suckers really fly....might even be uncontrolable to a certian point
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They can't release these fast enough for me... the 1/4 scale tri oval needs something a little faster on it...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
Hey.. is this Collin as in HPI Collin?

it's Jimmy... Scott's friend with the Mini
yeah, it's him
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

The body for the F10 is wide enough to fit 6-cell packs under it, or you can cut out a section of the body and use inserts to provide the Coke-bottle shape undercuts look way better; a 4-cell pack will fit under the inserts. If you use a 6-cell pack you don't use the inserts, so you have a flat-sided body which is wider to fit the extra battery length. The kit comes with different battery holders to fit 4-cell and 6-cell packs.

Out of the box, though, the 104 Pro is probably way better equipped than the F10, but there are a lot of options on the list for the F10.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.