R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mounting HPI Falken Drift tires.

I have heard several guys asking how to get these mounted properly. I was wondering what the deal was since I had already bought some HPI Super T Drift tires, and some Work wheels. Although my fingertips were sore I was able to sit and work them onto the rims without any tools or anything. So I thought the Falken variant of HPI's drift tire would not be much harder to get onto the rims. Boy did I have another thing coming. The first thing I tried was brute force. The second was compression. I used a pair of boards and a vise to try to compress the tire onto the rim. No avail. The hair dryer trick like in the instructions was not helping me at all. By this time I had all four rims wedged 3/4 of the way and pretty much stuck. I tried to use dishwashing soap to get them the rest of the way on but that also proved to be another exercise in futility. What finally did the trick was putting the tire and only the tire into a coffee mug full of water, and microwaving it for a bout 35-40 seconds. After that, set it out on the counter, make sure the Falken graphic is facing out and quickly pop the wheel into the center of the tire. Make sure its sitting well and the bead is even all the way around the tire. After the water dries off you will have a beautifully mounted drift tire.

Do not microwave the chrome rim, only the hard rubber tire. The chrome will arc and the arc will blemish the chrome and the underlying plastic. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Great tip, thanks! But I want to see video of the arcing rim in the microwave!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links