R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Tech Master
Default Top Flite Magnetic balancer

Has anyone used one of these for balancing 1/10 car wheels? I'm looking to get a balancer and it lookds good and is about 1/2 the price of a Du-Bro. Not even thinking about a Hudy, those are just through the roof on cost!
The manual says it can do car wheels, but i'd like to know if anyone has actually done it succesfully and without much pain!
I'm going to post this in the off-road section too incase anyone there has used it
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Yes I have used one. It's a good gizmo to have but not one to go out of your way to buy. I use it mainly to check the wheels are not out of true when deciding which can be kept and which to throw away. I found however that I had to machine a bushing to make sure the wheels sit perpendicular to the shaft otherwise the conical rubbers used to hold the wheel do not guarantee the wheel is set correctly. The little bushing has a perfectly flat face that goes at the back of the wheel inside the hex mounting hole and the conical rubbers are used one outside to perfectly center the wheel and the other behind the bushing to push against it.

Balancing wheels is not really necessary in my experience. They are pretty good that way these days and rubbers/inserts too, so if mounted correctly you shouldn't need to balance anything. When taking the rubbers off you might leave some residue on that can throw the wheel out of balance, but if you dip them in acetone overnight they come out as new. Of course this doesn't work with hard plastic wheels (the kind that break) because these dissolve in acetone, but you wouldn't want to use those anyway.
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote