Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The reason for the lack of mod drivers... >

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Jim Herrmann is a professional, dammit!
His signature says it all LOL!!

Jim Herrmann, Professional
Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Due to technology, 13.5/17.5 are fast enough for most, if not too fast already. There's also the most competition there. Beats joining the other two guys in mod, although it does guarantee a spot on the podium
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Chicky-

I think your position on this topic echoes the way a lot of us feel. There are a lot of teams that are guilty of stacking stock and super stock heats with factory drivers. As a participant and an enthusiast I would like to see the teams free up the slots in stock and super stock and run some modified. This would make for better racing all around. I know it is early but,I think the signup list for IIC is a good example; 3 people signed up for mod foam makes a big statement. When at the same time there are over 40 in 13.5 rubber.

We all want and try to get better, but not everyone is built for modified.

I will give you a good example...pros running stock is like Kobe playing as hard as he can in a youth basketball game. Yeah the kids can play, but at that level I think not!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by artwork
Chicky-

I think your position on this topic echoes the way a lot of us feel. There are a lot of teams that are guilty of stacking stock and super stock heats with factory drivers. As a participant and an enthusiast I would like to see the teams free up the slots in stock and super stock and run some modified. This would make for better racing all around. I know it is early but,I think the signup list for IIC is a good example; 3 people signed up for mod foam makes a big statement. When at the same time there are over 40 in 13.5 rubber.

We all want and try to get better, but not everyone is built for modified.

I will give you a good example...pros running stock is like Kobe playing as hard as he can in a youth basketball game. Yeah the kids can play, but at that level I think not!

I'd agree for the normal racer but the guys on my list are certainly capable of handling modified. Maybe mod should be 8.5 or something. A few years back Mod was 10 turn minimum.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I do feel like todays stock or super stock is as fast as yesterdays mod. I couldnt swear to it but maybe a track thats been around long enough could have numbers to back that up. It would be interesting to see.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

The two biggest reasons are as memtioned, all the pros/sponsered drivers are not stepping up and mod is too fast for the average guy these days.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

so, it's not the track construction, then?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Dang... I didn't make the list LMAO
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
I'd agree for the normal racer but the guys on my list are certainly capable of handling modified. Maybe mod should be 8.5 or something. A few years back Mod was 10 turn minimum.
The guys on your list should be able to hadle a mod motor. The other thing too is that if you look back over the past few years with the decline in Mod racing ALL the other classes have gotten faster and Mod has as well. Not that many people can drive a 3.5 or 4.0 with foam tires and a lipo pack. Like you said maybe mod should have a motor limit like the did a few years back with the 10 turn limit. In the England dont they have a rule if you run 5 cells you can run any motor but if you run lipo its limited to 5.5 or 6.5 brushless? Maybe something like that can work over here. I personally like what you guys are doing with the Northeast Grand Slam Series.....10.5 and 17.5 sedan classes. I personally think that maybe something like this for ROAR might work well too and get more people out of 17.5 and 13.5 and into a faster class. Make 17.5 the true sportsman stock class like it should be. 10.5 and full mod are not that far apart in lap times on foam tires with Sedans....at the last Novak race where the were both raced they were only seperated by .1 or .2 on hot lap. It really comes down to the full mod cars are too fast for too many of the tracks that people race on week to week and they need to be slowed down then the class might grow again....or go back to rubber tires...less traction and using a 3.0 wont be so easy to do....
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Asphalt racers don't count Korey. Don't you know the US revolves around carpet racing?

It's an interesting topic, but there are a few things to consider with "we should just kick out all the pro stock guys to mod" mentality.

If a pro stock guy moves to mod but can't hang with the pro mod guys right away, is his sponsor going to keep supporting him?

Would some of the pro stock guys decide to drop their sponsors and continue to run stock? I think a few would..

Manufacturers still want to win stock and superstock races for advertising purposes, so if you kick out all of the pro stock guys, wouldn't that just make the guys who are the "B" level stock guys now the new pros?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
The guys on your list should be able to hadle a mod motor. The other thing too is that if you look back over the past few years with the decline in Mod racing ALL the other classes have gotten faster and Mod has as well. Not that many people can drive a 3.5 or 4.0 with foam tires and a lipo pack. Like you said maybe mod should have a motor limit like the did a few years back with the 10 turn limit. In the England dont they have a rule if you run 5 cells you can run any motor but if you run lipo its limited to 5.5 or 6.5 brushless? Maybe something like that can work over here. I personally like what you guys are doing with the Northeast Grand Slam Series.....10.5 and 17.5 sedan classes. I personally think that maybe something like this for ROAR might work well too and get more people out of 17.5 and 13.5 and into a faster class. Make 17.5 the true sportsman stock class like it should be. 10.5 and full mod are not that far apart in lap times on foam tires with Sedans....at the last Novak race where the were both raced they were only seperated by .1 or .2 on hot lap. It really comes down to the full mod cars are too fast for too many of the tracks that people race on week to week and they need to be slowed down then the class might grow again....or go back to rubber tires...less traction and using a 3.0 wont be so easy to do....
You should run mod you sand bagger!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Spec mod with some kind of reasonable motor (10.5?) sounds appealing.

The reality is, most guys that can afford to run mod won't have the time to get good at it, 'cause they're busy working. It's sort of gone beyond the reach of people who approach R/C as a competitive hobby, which is all but what, 10 guys in the world?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
Asphalt racers don't count Korey. Don't you know the US revolves around carpet racing?

It's an interesting topic, but there are a few things to consider with "we should just kick out all the pro stock guys to mod" mentality.

If a pro stock guy moves to mod but can't hang with the pro mod guys right away, is his sponsor going to keep supporting him?

Would some of the pro stock guys decide to drop their sponsors and continue to run stock? I think a few would..

Manufacturers still want to win stock and superstock races for advertising purposes, so if you kick out all of the pro stock guys, wouldn't that just make the guys who are the "B" level stock guys now the new pros?
There is not much or any rubber tire mod racing that I know of done here so that was why the generalization to foam. It was not intentional to leave out any rubber guys. Yes Korey you make the list also!!

The idea is the best of the best should only be sponsored by getting paid or having travel paid for. Sponsors are fine for product and it should mainly depend on how much you help local drivers or on the internet with setup, not all results. Would a sponsor drop a guy if he can't do well in mod, well maybe but if he is doing the other things sponsored drivers should be doing then that to me is the important part.

My way has not much to do with having a sponsor or not but more on ability. So if Jim Herrmann wanted to stay in stock and drop his sponsor the race organization would not allow it. Just like Jilles can't race the stock class at the LRP race.

When the B level guys got to certain point they would be forced to move up. There would have to be some criteria met just like in Europe. Out with old in with the new. We need more new guys running so this can happen the right way.

Paul
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Out with old in with the new.
chicky be goin' crazey.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

In my case, no one runs mod because we have less of a turn out as we did say 5 or 6 years ago. Averaging 20 heats down to about 12-14 really affects people's decision to run the class. If 10.5/19T or 13.5 class has 14 driver's signed up and mod only has 3, more than likely team driver will sign up for the 13.5 class. Onroad has been steady at about 12-14 heats, but it definitely doesn't match up to what it has been a few years back. We definitely need more on-road drivers to come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.