R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Corner Speed? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/303725-corner-speed.html)

rockstar81 06-10-2009 12:25 PM

Corner Speed?

What kind of things do I need to look at on my touring car (FK05) to get higher corner speeds? It seems like it is fighting itself in the corners and scrubbing speed big time. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

NUCRPTRACER 06-10-2009 12:34 PM

Foam or rubber?
Carpet or pavement?

sidecarphil1 06-10-2009 12:35 PM

practice ....................................

NUCRPTRACER 06-10-2009 12:36 PM

Is it pushing?

Pushing-Car wont turn

NUCRPTRACER 06-10-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 5921727)
practice ....................................

^^^this always helps......Usually its throttle controll...Trust me I know:rolleyes:

sidecarphil1 06-10-2009 12:56 PM

sorry :(

i'm new to the hobby too and thats all everyone told me .......

so thats all i can pass on :lol::lol:

rockstar81 06-10-2009 01:57 PM

Rubber on asphalt. No, the car isn't pushing and it is fighting itself like both ends are too planted. I'd try practice, but that is not the issue. :lol: I have driven one before that wasn't like this but I have no clue what his setup was. :D

Cpt.America 06-10-2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar81 (Post 5921952)
Rubber on asphalt. No, the car isn't pushing and it is fighting itself like both ends are too planted. I'd try practice, but that is not the issue. :lol: I have driven one before that wasn't like this but I have no clue what his setup was. :D

Are you looking for more rotation? Adding a rear sway bar will shift traction from the rear, to the front, helping the rear come around a little easier.

Could be all kinds of things really...

flatspunout 06-10-2009 02:37 PM

It sounds like the car is too hooked up...the easiest thing to change and what I would try first is a harder tire. Also, too much chassis flex could be an issue...I experienced this on carpet with my FK04 and switching to a thicker chassis made a world of difference. A stiffer top deck will help with this as well. A few other things to try are a lower ride height/less droop (to keep the car flatter through the corner) and thicker shock oil or pistons with fewer holes, again to keep the car from "rolling over" so much in the corner. You also may want to decrease the drag brake if you are running any...for anything slower than a 10.5 it really hurts more than it helps. Good luck!

-rocky b

Danny-b23 06-10-2009 03:07 PM

You also might want to try moving the top shock mount position out one or two holes. It will stiffen the suspension, so the car will not have as much weight transfer in the corners.

rockstar81 06-11-2009 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Danny-b23 (Post 5922177)
You also might want to try moving the top shock mount position out one or two holes. It will stiffen the suspension, so the car will not have as much weight transfer in the corners.

Already on the outer on the front and second to outer on the rear.
This http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...7&setup=t1fk05 is the setup I am using if anybody can tell me anything from that. The only difference is I am running a medium-tight diff in the front. I'll checkout some of the things mentioned and see what I can come up with. :)

tc3team 06-11-2009 04:57 AM

Driving style and rear toe can affect corner speed a lot. If you have a excessive rear toe, it will slow the car down off power more than having less rear toe.

Driving style- if you dont approach the corner correctly, you will need to slow down to get round it.

Taking the racing line helps to not scrub off speed, or brake. Wide in, hit the apex, wide out. But then you leave the inside of the corner well and truly open for others to find a way past you...

Rear toe- Simple physics really, as there is more sidebite when turning in with more rear toe, good for more technical tracks where your driving style allows you to scrub off a little excessive speed going into sharper corners.

One last thing, suspension settings.

Too harder springs and the car may push on power, scrubbing speed and leaving you on the outside line. Or worse, with soft tyres the car may generate too much sidebite and flip over.

Hope that helps :)

Danny-b23 06-11-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar81 (Post 5924471)
Already on the outer on the front and second to outer on the rear.
This http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...7&setup=t1fk05 is the setup I am using if anybody can tell me anything from that. The only difference is I am running a medium-tight diff in the front. I'll checkout some of the things mentioned and see what I can come up with. :)

Next thing I can think of is springs.

Cpt.America 06-11-2009 10:38 AM

The 3 issues i see on that setup sheet are:

1) bizzarly low downstop settings. Try increasing downstops to more like... 5 all around. This will limit roll a bit
2) Spring rates are a bit low for 350cst.... id try a medium or medium soft spring instead of something THAT soft.
3) rear toe is unlisted.... how much toe are you running in the rear?

niznai 06-11-2009 11:10 AM

If you're concerned about losing too much speed off power I would check the drivetrain again and test on a straight line then compare that with going around corners. If the car is losing more speed around corners than in a straight line (again, off power), then I would look at diff settings.
Make sure you don't have some drag brake set up in the speedo.
Other than that I would check the Ackerman, perhaps look at what other guys at your track use and compare that with your setting.
Suspension settings also have a big impact here as a car that leans more in the corner scrubs more speed than one that doesn't.

Other than these factors all the other settings mentioned in the posts above allow you to keep on power more around corners or enter/exit corners at higher speeds rather than preserve the speed you already have (while coasting).