21.5 Brushless combos - Tekin or Novak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21.5 Brushless combos - Tekin or Novak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default 21.5 Brushless combos - Tekin or Novak?

If anyone has any personal experience with either or both, please share here. I am looking at RS-Pro 21.5 Sensored Brushless System, Team Tekin Part TEKTT2130:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Tekin-RS-Pr...3286.m20.l1116

versus this:

Novak Havoc 21.5 SPEC Brushless Motor & Havoc ESC #3036:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Novak-Havoc-21-5...3A1%7C294%3A50

Please note there is a nearly 150$ price difference between the two (the Tekin is double the price of the Novak), so I would really like to know if it is justified.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if your racing 21.5 you really dont need the Tekin RSPRO. Just get the regular Tekin RS. good thing from what i heard is tekin is customize everything with the hotwire where havoc you cannot. theres a thread where havoc has been shutting off during races. another good thing about tekin is they use removable sensor wires, unlike novak there sensor wire is stuck to the motor other then the new ballistic motors but none for 21.5. and if one of the wires break off the tab the motor is useless no matter how new it is. novak will not do anything about that, ive tried. now i wont buy any novak products again.
just get the Tekin RS same price almost you wont regret it.

also look at LRP spx and Speed Passion 2.0
Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Looks like the RS is even more expensive than the RS pro in the combo?!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm using the novak system and its great for the price. I have a roll out of 68.1mm on an indoor surfaced cement track.
Runs cool, never thermalled and running half a second a lap behind the 17.5s in stock.
The tekin may be faster, but if outright speed is your thing,then you should move to stock or super stock.
I'm going to be using an spx for stock.
Keep the 21.5s a fun budget b l class. Eg trans am.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You will want to get the Tekin RS speed control and the Novak 21.5 motor if you are running VTA or might (since the Novak 21.5 is the only legal motor). The Tekin RS is hands down the best value speed control you can get. Stormer has the RS for $160. Not sure how much the Novak motors are.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
You will want to get the Tekin RS speed control and the Novak 21.5 motor if you are running VTA or might (since the Novak 21.5 is the only legal motor). The Tekin RS is hands down the best value speed control you can get. Stormer has the RS for $160. Not sure how much the Novak motors are.
+1

Based on the word of the owner of the track I run at the Novak has more power, with the added benefit of being the legal motor for VTA should you go that way.

However, the Tekin RS speedo is slick - I'm a sucker for tweaking RC gear on the PC though
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm leaning towards replacing my 21.5 Novak in VTA with an "illegal" Tekin 21.5.

I know it might be a fluke, but with the rough driving in VTA I've taken some substantial side hits that broke a servo, bent a motor guard, and damaged the sensor wire near where it attaches to the motor on different occasions.

Since you can't replace the wire, you have to purchase a new motor. If I'm going to replace a motor, I'd rather have one that has a removable sensor wire to prevent this from happening again.

I really doubt I'll get any grief from the local club racers. And I doubt that a Tekin motor will have any advantage over the Novak.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

We are racing here in Oz 540 stock and the Tekin and Novak (together with the Trinity 21.5) are the approved motors (BL) to replace the silver can/sports tuned for the class (in the near future).

I am not chasing speed, just trying to assess what is best for me. The lower maintenance of BL systems is what makes it tempting to change. Buying a new Sports tuned every five races is getting costly too.

Reading through the first 60 pages of the Tekin RS topic it looks to me that without the hotwire, some messing around and software, the Tekin does not reach its potential. This is not exactly pulling me in really, even though the Tekin sounds evry good. Having to update software means you are tied to software updates and so on and this is begginning to sound like using Windows on a pc. As soon as a new version of software is released you're on your own if you don't upgrade and then you need to buy more software and so on. In short, it is exactly what I am trying to stay away from (and I am a Mac user too). Add to this the 150$ extra you have to pay to begin with on top of the Novak combo (plus the hotwire price whatever that is) and I am really wondering if it is worth it.

If the Tekin had some sort of baseline to start from or at least some nice diagrams to show response curves (torque/rpm) depending on timing for a given motor winding (turn count) it would be easier for me to judge for myself. It appears that Tekin however relies on a lot of experimentation by their drivers to build their own knowledge and that's not really within reach of the one-off customer who lacks the endless resources to replace things when they go up in smoke.

I'll keep reading though.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Damn server. Double post. How do you remove a post?