Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-end bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Default High-end bearings

i'm planning on a bearing upgrade for my TC3, currently it has the FactoryTeam teflon sealed bearings in it.

i have been considering the ceramic Acer ($115) bearings but they also have a less expensive set for like $60.

does anyone have any suggestions on other bearing companies like Avid, Niftech, SKF, Blue Star, others?

i'm looking for any recommendations guys, thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Well, when you take care of the FT bearings they are some of the best. Take care, as in blowing them out, oiling them, cleaning them every other week. Now of course with ceramics they willbe free and not require AS much work.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

the FT bearing have been good ones, but taking the seals in and out for cleaning has worn on them, now the seals won't stay in and they require cleaning to often, add to this that some are failing here and there... so some are new & some are old.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Might want to check out the bearing set that is at RC4Less.com

I think they are grade 7 which I believe are a higher tolerance then the grade 5 from Acer. I have a set of Acer's, but am looking at those for another car.

Scott
Old 12-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default grade

i thought the lower the grade # the better (rounder & smoother) the ball. if this is correct the Acer's are better grade than whatever is for sale on RC4less.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: grade

Originally posted by hyperformance
i thought the lower the grade # the better (rounder & smoother) the ball. if this is correct the Acer's are better grade than whatever is for sale on RC4less.
This is correct.

I've been using the Acer ceramic and teflasonic and have really been pleased with them. I cannot do anything else than recommend them.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

I have the Acer teflasonic set and am happy with it, but one bearing in the spindle has some issues, I had to replace it with one of the stock ones that came in my Losi. I tried removing the seals and cleaning it out but still has the rough spots... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
J
Old 12-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You cannot go wrong with the AVID bearing either. I run them in my B4/T4. The are very smooth and are a bargain at that price. I havent had any problems and the bearing are smoother...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If they are using the ABEC scale, the higher the number, the better the bearing.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

That is exactly right, on the ABEC scale, which is the world wide standard, the higher the number the better the bearing. ABEC 7 being the highest for commercial use. After ABEC 7, you get into the "Swiss Made" Bearings, which are going to be much smoother on the scale, and of course price jumps with quality.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default thanks

thanks for the info guys!
i decided on the Acer's but not the ceramic, i can't justify that cost especially since i will be replacing all the bearings including the diff balls. i got the Super Polyamide bearing set ($60) and the HCCA diff balls, all together it cost about $75 to do the wole car. if the results are good enough i'll go with the Nitride Ceramic next time around. i've figured that would run around $195. Acer does have a good buy on quality shock o-rings though, 10 for $1.99.