R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok on the club level for electric foam beats rubber if you don't have a bunch of guys truing tires down to pro race size. you get more traction with foam anyway which allows you to put more power down. but at the club level IF the fast guys aren't running a new set of rubber tyres for the main or in some cases for each heat also rubber can be cheaper. the casual racer will let a set of rubbers wear till they have holes in them. and if you don't have a spec tyre like Jaco Blues that everybody has to run them you get the tyre wars were someone is running sorex 22 with hara inserts or hotlap 24s with xexon inserts or what ever is that fast tyre for the TEMP of the track. the 22 24 32 is a temp rating that the tyre works best in so if you don't have a tyre rule you have to carry the whole range to compete. there are only a few foam types that you can get that run competively in the club level. so it depends on the competition level at your track wether foam or rubber is more expensive. BOTH can be equally costly but foam is going to have more traction IF you car is setup right for it. don't expect to put foams on a rubber car and get ti to hook up first run the setups and yes the ride heigth issues are different.

so now to the true reason foam on nitro
most nitro guys put a new set on at the start of a main and run them to the rims. the problem with rubber on nitro is you can't hook up that much power and that you can easily shread a rubber tyre due to the rotaional force that a nitro car has. also think about nitro 1/8th scale offroad when you blimp the throttle what happens to the tires now put that much to a 28mm wide rubber tyre. some .12 nitro motors have 2 to 3 horse and cost $1000 now if your spending that much money on a motor for the car what's $20 or $40 in foams for the day. so mostly the reason they run foam is you can't buy steel belted rubber rc tyres. personally I have never seen them if they do have them.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
.12 nitro motors have 2 to 3 horse and cost $1000 now
There is no way .12 nitro's are making 3hp. Thats all hype from the manufactures. Put one on a dyno and you'd be lucky to see half that(and thats a good one).

Also nitro TC is slower than Electric. The main reason you would run foam on nitro TC is for the half hour long finals.

1/8 is a different ball game. The rear tyres on those are about 3 times as wide as a rubber TC tyre.
Paul H

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I always preferred foam indoors because it made traction less of an issue, it always felt like we had closer and more exciting racing in the foam classes than the rubber ones. Plus, although I know it's not really true at the pro level, we had club racers who would put on a new set of rubber tires and instantly gain .1-.2 sec a lap. On foam that didn't seem to be the case, we could run old foams and be just as fast, assuming we rotated the tires properly and adjusted rollout properly.

That might have just been the situation at our club, we ran both rubber and foam indoors and after a couple of seasons I definitely preferred foam. It is messy, though, and you need to have access to a good truer. Chunking was also a factor but it always seemed directly related to skill level, as we got better we saw fewer chunks.

For beginner-to-intermediate drivers, I'd definitely recommend a rubber class, no question. Changing tires often won't help while you're learning, so you can do a whole season on one or two sets of rubber. I wish someone had told me that when I started, I'd always buy a new set of tires every couple weeks, and my fast laps would get better but I'd still blow it all in a couple of crashes every week. It never mattered until I got good enough to run a clean 5 minutes.
Visit my store: www.ampdraw.com
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote