Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a Diff Gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default Need a Diff Gear

I'm working on a project to manufacture a new 4-WD off-road race car (I know this is the on-road forum). The car will use the suspension of a XX-4 with a single-belt drive system. We've hand-built two chassis, and they're running well, but there's one problem: the diff gears we're using are too small.

I need to know where I can find a belt-driven diff gear from a ball diff that has 29 or 30 teeth. Any car, past or present, will do. If you don't know the precise count, that's OK, your info will be welcome. What I need is the manufacturer and model of the car.

I've called several mfgrs and asked them to search their catalogues for a 30-tooth gear, and they all say they must have the name or number of the car before they can access the part. I've got a set of Yokomo gears with 32 teeth, and it's too big.

If you can give me the mfgr and model, I'll do the rest. Your help is most appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The XXXS uses a 41-42 tooth diff gear.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply, Randman, but we've got bags of those gears. They're simply way too big. We're doing this project because the XXX-4 uses those gears. Because of their size, the chassis is simply too close to the ground for off-road racing, and that causes most of the problems with the car.

The X - 5 is equipped with 27-tooth gears now, and they're too small; the ratio between the drive and driven gears is too small (1.59 now). We can't go lower on the drive gear, so we've got to have a bigger diff (driven) gear. As I said initially, 32-tooth is too big (won't fit in the housing) and I think 29 or 30 will be about right.

Any help from anyone will be much appreciated. Merry Christmas again!!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks to all who looked at this thread and gave our problem some thought. It's turned out that we couldn't find any existing R/C diff gears that fit, so we're making our own.

We hope to be racing the X - 5 this weekend at the MidWest MidWinter challenge in Columbus, Ohio.