Like Tree1Likes

Atomic VM2 M-Class Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Atomic just got a new batch of VM2-LiPo's in stock:
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index...oducts_id=5344

I went ahead and placed an order to try one out... shipping was $28 after tossing in a handful of spares with the order for the kit. They don't post the shipping charges until after you submit PayPal information, then they post shipping before you "finalize" the order at that point.

I'm really looking forward to driving it soon!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

You could have gotten free shipping if you ordered it thru EGR Mart and they have it in stock.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dan
You could have gotten free shipping if you ordered it thru EGR Mart and they have it in stock.
Have you bought from EGR Mart to confirm that they don't tack on the shipping after you submit PayPal info too?

Do they offer free shipping for parts too?

*** I just placed a car in the shopping cart for EGR Mart and they are charging the same $28 shipping rate... bump it up to $37 if you select 2 day EMS shipping

*** I just spotted the following page which says all orders over $100 will provide free shipping:
http://www.egrracing.com/shop/index....&article_id=37

Thanks for the tip Dan... I find it odd that Atomic would even sell identical inventory with shipping charges when they share the same address with EGR Mart:
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index...age=contact_us

Last edited by billdelong; 01-29-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey folks,

I'm brand new to the M class and am wondering what kind of tires would be well suited to a large asphalt track? Any suggestions on tires brand and compounds would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

I'm brand new to the M class and am wondering what kind of tires would be well suited to a large asphalt track? Any suggestions on tires brand and compounds would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Team Powers 36R and Solaris Hard premounts have worked well for me on a sprayed asphalt track.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks! Any suggestions on compounds? It gets pretty warm down here in Texas.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Team Powers 36R and Solaris Hard premounts have worked well for me on a sprayed asphalt track.
+1
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks! Any suggestions on compounds? It gets pretty warm down here in Texas.
He mentioned 36R is the tire!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
He mentioned 36R is the tire!
Duh, what in the world was I reading? LOL! Thanks for pointing out the obvious stuff that I missed! I guess my follow-up question *should've* been.....for what temps are the TP 36R and Solaris Hards good for?

And I guess I'm curious.... Do the softs wear away too quickly? Do they induce traction roll?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Tommy, I'm not sure what compound that Josh included with the Genetic that he sold me, but they were definitely Solaris tires. Not sure how old the tires were either but they were completely gone after 1 full day of racing at our local South track.

I then bought several sets of JL12e tires here:
http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=2877

Those are the tires that you test drove my car on the day that was some light drizzle and my car was hooked up while everyone else was spinning out of control during practice. After a solid 20 min of practice, the tires were starting to show signs of wear. I've since rotated them and they've seen 4 full race days with the EGOD starting to show on 2 of the tires. I think the JL12e tires worked much better for me, though I'm not necessarily happy with the longevity of them either. Maybe they would be good tires for colder weather when temps are below 70° maybe?

How many days of racing are you guys getting out of your Team Powers 36R and Solaris Hard's?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Duh, what in the world was I reading? LOL! Thanks for pointing out the obvious stuff that I missed! I guess my follow-up question *should've* been.....for what temps are the TP 36R and Solaris Hards good for?

And I guess I'm curious.... Do the softs wear away too quickly? Do they induce traction roll?

Thanks!
TP36 work well in high temps! Those are really the only tire I ever ran in all weather conditions but again they are best in hot weather. A set will last many race days! And a good tip would be to run used tires in front and keep the rear on the newer side. Will keep the car from having too much steering. I purchased them from our local track but just get them anyway possible!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billdelong
Tommy, I'm not sure what compound that Josh included with the Genetic that he sold me, but they were definitely Solaris tires. Not sure how old the tires were either but they were completely gone after 1 full day of racing at our local South track.

I then bought several sets of JL12e tires here:
http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=2877

Those are the tires that you test drove my car on the day that was some light drizzle and my car was hooked up while everyone else was spinning out of control during practice. After a solid 20 min of practice, the tires were starting to show signs of wear. I've since rotated them and they've seen 4 full race days with the EGOD starting to show on 2 of the tires. I think the JL12e tires worked much better for me, though I'm not necessarily happy with the longevity of them either. Maybe they would be good tires for colder weather when temps are below 70° maybe?

How many days of racing are you guys getting out of your Team Powers 36R and Solaris Hard's?
Lol! I prefer TP tires over Solaris any day. Solaris last only a couple of days for me and then start to fall off.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Lol! I prefer TP tires over Solaris any day. Solaris last only a couple of days for me and then start to fall off.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion, too funny!

Has anyone ever tested RIDE tires?

I recently picked up a couple sets of Medium and Hard compounds and the thickness of rubber is at least 3x greater than the JL12e and Solaris tires, granted the RIDE tires are belted, so it could be the thickness in the material they are using for the belting that might give the illusion of a thicker amount of rubber in the tread?

In the past I have had really good luck with HPI Cup racer tires with the Hard compound on the front and Medium compound on the rear, those tires lasted at least 6-8 race days. Only problem is that the MX60 (Cup Racer) wheels are a little larger which effects rollout and ride height, possibly requiring more of the body to be trimmed around the wheel wells too. Plus it's not clear if HPI will continue making Cup Racer tires since they discontinued the car?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

I've used the Team Powers 36R with track temps from high 40s - 125+F and it works well. You just have to adjust your saucing according to grip. I sauce the rears full and whatever is needed for the day in front (usually inside 0 - 1/2). This is with Paragon white traction compound. These tires last a lot longer than the Solaris.

The Solaris hards works well also but as Josh said they drop off faster than the TP tires. I think it's because they wear faster and tend to get the "ring of death". I've tried softs but never got grip like the hards. On the Solaris you can tell what compound by the moulded letter (H -hard) on the sidewall.

I've run the Ride inch ups (60D) before and they work but don't last as long as the TP tires. They also cost a lot more when you add everything up to make a set.

A note on the TP premounts. Check the glue job and reglue as needed when you open the package.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info, everyone! Is there a stateside distributor for Team Powers tires? Our M-scale class will use realistic looking wheels so I'll be using a particular set I picked out elsewhere.

Are they the standard M-scale I.D. of 43 or 44 mm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.