Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #586
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

now my AE TC6.1 HAS A MINI ME

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #587
Tech Addict

So question for the experienced VM2 owners.

So been racing this thing and it is a very good car. 1 thing that i did notice is i decided to adjust me steering travel to be really tight so i can take tighter turns. I noticed that when i did this adjustment the closer the wheel to the shock if you know what i mean, the car seem to vibrate or gitter... like something is hitting. looked everywhere and do not see any spots where something is hitting.... My assumption is the axles. I feel that the stock axles is not made to turn aggressive and it hits the max bend... Im thinking that Atomic made the upgrade axles CV type for this reason???

I was wondering if anyone noticed this... Again its only when i turn the wheel really aggressive. otherwise when it is straight and conservative steering travel its good. just really like driving with tight turning.

thank you for your help.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jacob- View Post
So question for the experienced VM2 owners.

So been racing this thing and it is a very good car. 1 thing that i did notice is i decided to adjust me steering travel to be really tight so i can take tighter turns. I noticed that when i did this adjustment the closer the wheel to the shock if you know what i mean, the car seem to vibrate or gitter... like something is hitting. looked everywhere and do not see any spots where something is hitting.... My assumption is the axles. I feel that the stock axles is not made to turn aggressive and it hits the max bend... Im thinking that Atomic made the upgrade axles CV type for this reason???

I was wondering if anyone noticed this... Again its only when i turn the wheel really aggressive. otherwise when it is straight and conservative steering travel its good. just really like driving with tight turning.

thank you for your help.
Sounds like a classic case of chatter from the CVDs. The only real fix is DCJ axles. I have no idea if anyone makes them for that car.

What class are you racing it in? Your electrics installs are amazing.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #589
Tech Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Sounds like a classic case of chatter from the CVDs. The only real fix is DCJ axles. I have no idea if anyone makes them for that car.

What class are you racing it in? Your electrics installs are amazing.

-Mike
Hi Mike thank you for replying. yeah, The do make a double cardan joint axle as an upgrade for like 30 bucks. which is kinda a lot... i just order a set... not sure what class ill be running at the hangar. i currently working on my associated tc6.1 to prep for stock touring sedan. Maybe ill run this on Novice or Scale spec.

yeah i tend to take my wiring a little to extreme . not funcional at all but i just like my stuff looking clean . Thanks for the compliment.

- Jacob
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #590
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Mike thank you for replying. yeah, The do make a double cardan joint axle as an upgrade for like 30 bucks. which is kinda a lot... i just order a set... not sure what class ill be running at the hangar. i currently working on my associated tc6.1 to prep for stock touring sedan. Maybe ill run this on Novice or Scale spec.

yeah i tend to take my wiring a little to extreme . not funcional at all but i just like my stuff looking clean . Thanks for the compliment.

- Jacob
I'd suggesting posting on the Hanger 30 thread to ask the comp committee about potentially running the atomic in Scale Spec. The likely issues I see are:

1) Is there room to add weight to bring it up to 1450g? Is there room to gear it appropriately? Being 4wd, you wouldn't want it to have a power/weight advantage.

2) Mini tires might be grippier than the HPI D-Compound. Mini's aren't subject to the tire restriction, but they're so tall and tippy they can't really use the extra grip, and they're also at a disadvantage putting power down with 2wd and limited gearing, so it's kind of a non-issue.

3) The body looks like a full-on touring-style body, meaning probably better aero than a typical Scale Spec body. However, I'm sure there are other bodies that would fit the spirit of the scale spec rules.

But without actually racing it in the class, or doing some practice laps with timing and a good driver, it's hard to know. So it's still worth asking.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #591
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I'd suggesting posting on the Hanger 30 thread to ask the comp committee about potentially running the atomic in Scale Spec. The likely issues I see are:

1) Is there room to add weight to bring it up to 1450g? Is there room to gear it appropriately? Being 4wd, you wouldn't want it to have a power/weight advantage.

2) Mini tires might be grippier than the HPI D-Compound. Mini's aren't subject to the tire restriction, but they're so tall and tippy they can't really use the extra grip, and they're also at a disadvantage putting power down with 2wd and limited gearing, so it's kind of a non-issue.

3) The body looks like a full-on touring-style body, meaning probably better aero than a typical Scale Spec body. However, I'm sure there are other bodies that would fit the spirit of the scale spec rules.

But without actually racing it in the class, or doing some practice laps with timing and a good driver, it's hard to know. So it's still worth asking.

-Mike
Yeah I'm still fairly new in driving that I'm no one would be worried about advantages. Lol. But yeah I'll def ask. I'm currently building a ta05v2 R for scale spec anyhow. This is just one of my fab cars to bash in mini class. Well see. Chances are ill run my ta05 in scale and run this in novice. I

Last edited by -jacob-; 08-12-2013 at 08:33 PM.
-jacob- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Spec R makes CVJ's for the Atomic VMII. I never had to go that route cuz I had to much steering that I dialed it out and also turned down steering speed. Sometimes you can have less travel EPA and bump up steering speed and you can have a lot of steering. Just depends on surface you run on and grip levels.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #593
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

+1

The car has so much steering that I turned down my radio steering settings quite a bit.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #594
Tech Addict

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'll have to give it a try this coming sunday race

Finished both projects finally

- team smurf
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #595
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

That Radical heatsink is sexy as. It finishes off ur tidy wiring up really well.

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Yeah I'll have to give it a try this coming sunday race

Finished both projects finally

- team smurf
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #596
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Hi all, just picked up one of these cars and looking to run it on a 17.5t motor blinky. Can someone give me a general starting point for gearing on this? I believe it has the stock spur (100t) on it. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #597
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney13 View Post
Hi all, just picked up one of these cars and looking to run it on a 17.5t motor blinky. Can someone give me a general starting point for gearing on this? I believe it has the stock spur (100t) on it. Thanks in advance.
2.5 to 2.7! I used 76 to 80 spur and 50 to 52 pinion! Those gears seam to do well. Motor timing 0* to as fast as you can control it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #598
Tech Elite

Quote:

- Jacob
Oh and didn't know you were running a touring car body. The wing will make you push and want more steering. TC body's legal to use where you race? We couldn't use them.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #599
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
2.5 to 2.7! I used 76 to 80 spur and 50 to 52 pinion! Those gears seam to do well. Motor timing 0* to as fast as you can control it.
Thanks Josh. Do you race at Norcal? I'm going to be running this at Delta. Seems to be the perfect track for this kind of car.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #600
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney13 View Post
Thanks Josh. Do you race at Norcal? I'm going to be running this at Delta. Seems to be the perfect track for this kind of car.
I wouldn't run an FDR of 2.5-2.7 with a 17.5T motor. Try low to mid 3s especially if you plan on running at Delta.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote