R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Battery Bars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/30169-battery-bars.html)

ZER01 12-28-2003 12:03 PM

Battery Bars

Will tin make an okay conductor for a battery bar verse silver? I more thinking it's the connection than the material since there isn't much resistance for the bars are pretty short, anyone differ?

John Malin 12-28-2003 01:09 PM

no tin is like 8% as conductive as silver.

Grizzbob 12-28-2003 04:25 PM

Agreed, you do need a good, low resistance connection between cells in your battery pack, & tin just won't cut it. I'd at least use a decent copper bar, or try some of the commonly available ones from Trinity, Deans, etc.(I'm kinda partial to the Trinity Watt bars, they have a nice low profile & the little holes make soldering a breeze)......:cool:

ZER01 12-28-2003 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone, I know silver is the most conductive but my case was getting a bar to sit its flatest on each tab. As far as tin, well look at what the tabs are(neg. & pos.). The tin is good for a bar as it can bend to each tab and sit flat due to its flexibleness. Tin is what is used in stick packs and there's nothing wrong with using tin, IMO the trick is having a wide bar with absolutely no space between the two, then my sir you have a connection.

Dave Bowser 12-28-2003 06:37 PM

hay cheek out this web site www.fusionbatteries.com

ZER01 12-28-2003 06:46 PM

Yeah I've been following this thread for awhile, they look like good matcher's and I like there soldering method but my deal is getting 100% of the bar onto each cells tab with absolutely no gap. Thanks everyone for the help.

JusBox 12-28-2003 07:26 PM

Originally posted by proudwinner
Yeah I've been following this thread for awhile, they look like good matcher's and I like there soldering method but my deal is getting 100% of the bar onto each cells tab with absolutely no gap. Thanks everyone for the help.
You get the proper bar with the correct offset for your cells.
There's always going to be a gap if you have to solder.

lucky579 12-28-2003 07:26 PM

I thought platinum or gold was the most conductive, it is the most expensive, I used the platinum because it was the most expensive so I thought it was the best.

weaponx 12-28-2003 07:35 PM

Awesome avatar lucky579

ZER01 12-28-2003 07:55 PM

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
You get the proper bar with the correct offset for your cells.
There's always going to be a gap if you have to solder.

I'm thinking soldering both ends of the bars at once onto the pre-tinned cell ends will work. I need like two soldering irons and four hands. :D

Speedie 12-28-2003 09:17 PM

Proud you can buy a sheet of copper at almost any hardware store and cut it up into bars and it is even more pliable than tin and will be easier to get it flat. Ive done this alot in the past but now I just buy them because its easier and looks cooler. You just have to bent the bars so they are flat to the cells before you apply any solder.

John Malin 12-28-2003 09:18 PM

if you really want to get the best connection from cells to bars than you only have one choice.... that would be to have Fusion build your packs. I know this sounds like a shameless plug but Fusion has developed a process for assembling cells so revolutionary that a patent is being issued for it. I cant tell you exactly how its done but let me say that I would bet a paychek that no one could solder cells together better than Fusion can assemble them. Please somebody try to show me something that will make me eat my words.

ZER01 12-28-2003 09:37 PM

Speediephatt, that's the idea I had today but all the local HS had was tin. You are correct there. My idea originated from the Dan's gold bars.

John Malin, that's all that went through my mind today while I was building up new packs.

ZER01 12-28-2003 09:38 PM

Didn't think about the hardware store, d'OH!

NightKidZ 12-28-2003 11:39 PM

Originally posted by lucky579
I thought platinum or gold was the most conductive, it is the most expensive, I used the platinum because it was the most expensive so I thought it was the best.
Dude, platinum is the most expensive but it's not the most conductive, silver is, dun let the hype get to you :)

Silver conducts best but it's too chemically reactive hence tarnishes very easily. Gold would seem to be the best compromise here.

Cheers