Wiki Posts
Search

hudy advanced comm lathe

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Ooj
Tech Regular

Default hudy advanced comm lathe

Its about time for me to stop asking others to cut my comms for me so I have decided to get the Hudy advanced comm lathe wth V grooves and a diamond bit.

I have also noticed there is an upgarde option for the shaft holders that uses a ball bearing instead of the plastic clip. Should I bother with this upgrade?

Also how is the lathe motor that comes with the kit? Is it better to put in an old monster stock or mod motor that I have lying around?

If there are any other suggestions as to what lathes and parts I should get, please give your 2 cents (or more) worth
Old 12-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've got a Hudy Tech lathe and love it, probably the last lathe I will ever own. Stick with the v-blocks instead of the bearings. The bearings will get comm chips in them and start to chatter. All you need is the diamond bit if you know how to cut comms. I think the stock lathe motor is fine, its nice and smooth.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:19 AM
T-man

I also use the Tech version but with ballbearing. I still use the plastic clips, which work just fine. A friend of mine got the Hudy Axial SUpport option, because the armatures don't have the same length.

Thinking of getting this one.

But the TEch just out of the Box is just perfect.

Marc

Old 12-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I m not mistaken, lathe motors are 55 turn motors. If you use a stock or any other motor you will have way to many rpm's. you can use a stock motor but you need to control the speed by limiting the voltage it uses. not as smooth as a lathe motor though. rob
Old 12-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Hey Blackflag, I dont think the motor it comes with is a 55 turn.
the 55 turn motors are the ones you can hook straight to the power supply instead of a motor run. I used the hudy lathes before and the motor that it came with was just a closed endbell stock motor, I think a 23 turn but am not sure.anyway it ran just fine out of the box, just make sure you shim the bit right ot it wont last long. if the bit is in the wrong place then it will cut great for a while but thats because its a fresh diamond bit. My suggestion is have someone set it up for you that is familiar with the lathe.
Mo Denton
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Ooj
Tech Regular

hey guys i was just reading the product info page and it says that the lathe motor is powered by 4.8v or a 4 cell pack. Would it be silly to power it from my 12v power supply? I dont want to buy another power supply. Would it be better to make up a 4 cell pack just for this lathe?

What are you guys using as a power source?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

you might burn up the motor if you use a 12v source. i just got a hudy lathe and the drive motor looks very similar to mabuchi 540 motors that come with tamiya kits. i think its rated at 7.2v only. it is better that you have a 4-cell pack - any old 4-cell pack will do as long as its fully charged everytime you use it. an alternative would be a motor checker (i got a used one that's similar to the indy dyno) it has an adjustable voltage for the motor run (from 0 to 7.2 volts) - i just set it to 4 volts and i dont have to worry about running out of batts when i use the lathe
Old 12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

I run a 4 cell pack and an integy 55t lathe motor on my eagle lathe, works great.