Wiki Posts
Search

Good Deal? Should i Buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Good Deal? Should i Buy it?

on craigs list a guy is selling a team Losi XXX-S car in the pics looks in good condition although i wont use all this stuff like the speed jig etc but what do you guys think of this deal all the stuff below for 180$ iam new to the RC car scene and looking for a good start!

1) Team Losi XXX-S with Novak Super Sport Brushless motor.
2) Vision Peak Charger
3) Intellipeak mini pulse charger
4) 4 sets of extra tires
5) Battery speed jig to make your own batteries
6) 5 batteries, all with Dean connectors
7) Original motor and speed control
8) Original manuals including parts lists.
9) XR2i controller
10) Original packaging.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Initiate

basically he's selling a losi xxxs rtr (http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...dID=LOSA0287)+ a pulse charger + 5 batts + tires... for $180

It looks like a good deal for a start but you should ask for photos to check the shape of the car.
Also see if your LHS has spares for the car, because it is an older car and you don't want to be looking all over the internet for impossible to find parts.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

he has pics up it looks pretty good just some normal wear. he said i could come see it in person as well.i thought most losi parts were easy to find? thought most of them fit various stuff?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That looks like a very good deal. IMO the XXX-S is a very good car to start with. Pretty easy to drive and set up, and parts are reasonable and east to get. You are getting a decent brushless systems as well, perfect for first timers. It's not very adjustable, but that's the point, nice and easy for beginners. I run both Novak and Castle Creation brushless systems and I like them both, you can't go wrong with a Novak system. Sounds like you are getting a package deal, all ready to go, and it seems some spares to! It's good you are getting batteries as well, but depending on how long it's been sitting or how well the previous owner took care of his batteries, you may or may not have to replace them. It is an older car, but parts (at least at my LHS) are readily available and in some cases he even has them in stock. I have baught and sold several XXX-S's, and that's pretty good price, especially for what your getting. So good luck and welcome to RC!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

thanks iam leaning toward purchasing the car but idk
Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Parts for the kit should be easy to come by if a local hobby store carries Losi products. The car has been revived as their drift car.

As was stated already, if you dont have personal knowledge of the condition of the batteries that could be an added expense in the short term, but would definetly be something that I would ask about. Possibly the motor as well. If it has been run hot then the rotor could be suspect. The ufortunate part is if you dont have the tools or knowledge to look at either you wouldnt be able to tell good from bad.

As for performance, the car has been very successfuly at local parking lot tracks in my area with a range of drving skills. The biggest problem I have seen for the car is the neccesity for using the losi spur gears, this can be a limiting factor as you try to figure out what others are running for gears. You may want to pick up this spur adapter if you are considering running 17.5 or lower brushless motor setup, or as tuning aid. It may be hard to get into the running range that the 17.5 and 21.5 motors require for your particualr situation useing the stock or aftermarket losi gears.

I would ask him or her to show you that it all works before you commit to the purchase. Would hate to see you back here frustrated becasue you purcahsed it and cant figure out how these things go together.

Hope you enjoy your purchase should you decide to do it.