Wiki Posts
Search

Ceeramic VS Xray Ultra highspeed berrings

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Ceeramic VS Xray Ultra highspeed berrings

im still trying to decide if I want to spend the $90 on a ceramic berring kit for my T1R. I race in VTA Class on carpet and since our points season is over im takeing the time to get it ready for the new season and one of the plans were ceramic berrings but ive heard the Xray berrings are hard to beat. the berrings in the car are good condition so replacements are not needed yet but would I be wasteing my $$ going to ceramics?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
im still trying to decide if I want to spend the $90 on a ceramic berring kit for my T1R. I race in VTA Class on carpet and since our points season is over im takeing the time to get it ready for the new season and one of the plans were ceramic berrings but ive heard the Xray berrings are hard to beat. the berrings in the car are good condition so replacements are not needed yet but would I be wasteing my $$ going to ceramics?
I thought that you were getting out of touring car racing? As far as the bearings, I would replace the ones that could be bad and save your $$'s for maybe a updated car or parts.
Dave
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

I was gonna get out of racing but as much as I have into the stuff I wouldent get close to what I got into it. Besides you all are too great of a bunch of guys to leave Just got frsturated over eveything else. Now its just a short break I took Jims Spool out and noticed the brrings in the bulkhead are getting bad. I was gonna race this up comming thursday but I need a new set of rims and tires too. I went to take the tires off the rims and there is so much super glue built up I cant get them clean. I even tryed to boil them. just another headace and more $$
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

If your track does not kill bearings with fuzz balls or bad wall slams then yes upgrading could help. But for me and my track I bought like 3 full sets for $7 a set off ebay and they last as long as the $10 a piece bearings. So for $30 I was able to get 42 bearings. My local track has some awkward corners that if you clip the inside barrier your car ends on the outside barrier with a flat slam against the wheel nuts. I shattered about dozen bearings on my T2 and and about 6 on my TC5 doing that. Even with pulling lint every race, I still loose a bearing once and a while due to the nature of one thread getting sucked into the seals.

Another thing if you want you can upgrade just the diff and layshaft bearings since those do not take any laterial loads and they will be more free. And you can use the cheap $1 bearings on the hubs where they are prone to damage.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
the berrings in the car are good condition so replacements are not needed yet but would I be wasteing my $$ going to ceramics?
Yes, you would be wasting your money going to ceramics. The $1 bearings from Avid, Boca, etc., are all you really need, and only when the existing ones go bad. My '007 and '008 never had any bearings go bad except for the front and rear hub bearings. As stated above, these get damaged when you hit things.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you want Ceramics, just get the Diff OutDrive bearings, but don't waste your money on a full set of ceramic bearings.

Basically, only use ceramics in locations that do not suffer any impact damage. Diffs, Spur Gear, Belt Tensioner, Ceramic Balls, etc... I sometimes would use them on the inside of the C-Hubs and Rear Hubs, but not the outside.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Many good sugestions Ive had the idea to use ceramic for the Lay Shaft and the bulkheads were the diffs ride and the 2 slamm berrings in the rear diff (not the slipper balls the 2 small ones on the inner out drives.) I tryed a spool in my car but its going back to a oneway I think "faster berrings" in the main drivetrane will help with heat and let the motor and car get up to speed more efficently
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

One way to protect your hub bearings is to use spacer collars inside such that the inner races of the bearings are kept "in contact" with each other and a lateral shock on the axle is transferred to both bearings rather than just one (the outer) this way the load is distributed somewhat. Also, it helps avoid bearing binding if wheelnuts are done up tight.