Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckaspar View Post

Now I feel like I know less than before. LOL

Can someone give me a manufacturer or two for each of the "classes" below:

World GT

mini cars

Considering that I already have stuff for a 1/10 offroad vehicle it sounds like a sedan would be easier for me since I already have the electronics/batts/etc. What types of classes are typical for that model of car? Is 17.5 still considered the stock class as it is in offroad? For sedans, is there a carpet car and an asphalt car or is that just tires and setup that makes it either or?

Thanks again
12th - Speed Merchant

World GT - Speed Merchant

Minis - Tamiya (if you decide to race TCS, Tamiya is required)

sedan - Corally, AE, Losi, Xray, HPI/Hotbodies, Tamiya

Still visit your local track and see what classes are the popular ones, and choose the class you want to run from there. Choosing a popular chassis will also yeild more tuning information (like a good starting set-up for your track).

As far as being able to re-use the stuff in your off-road buggy, the most translation will be sedan. However, the hardware will start to get beat-up as you transfer it back and forth.

WGT can use the same electronics, only you will be looking for a single cell lipo (imo - Nimh are dead, stay away). 12th you will be able to possibly able to use your esc (if it is small enough - no tall heat sinks), and your reciever. However, a small servo like the futaba 9651 or 9601, JR 3650 or the KO??? would be the better choice. All are under $100 except maybe the KO.

The Tamiya cars seem to come with an ESC, so you may be able to do without getting an extra speed controller. However, you will still be swapping the Rx and servo - which should translate from off road.

good luck.
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Tech Elite

TC and 12th scale seem to be the largest classes. Flankly, I find 12th more complex than touring. And they can be just as expensive as well.
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post

sedan - Corally, AE, Losi, Xray, HPI/Hotbodies, Tamiya

The Tamiya cars seem to come with an ESC, so you may be able to do without getting an extra speed controller.

good luck.
This is a bit dreamy, really. Corally and Xray only have top notch cars, but you pay top money for them and they're not for begginers. If you have someone to set those up for you then go for it, but if you're on your own, oh well, then you're on your own!

As for the Tamiya speedies that come in kits, forget it. Anything more than the silvercan included in the kit and they're toast. Those things are just for kids who want to have fun in the backyard or a 540 class (and even then at risk).
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote