R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   hpi pro 3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/29725-hpi-pro-3-a.html)

twopie24 12-19-2003 02:21 PM

hpi pro 3

Im about to jump to electric cars, i currently run nitro touring.i gues my qustion is a hpi pro 3 a good car to start with..or is just a good car?? pls lmk...

thanks in advance
Moses

JusBox 12-19-2003 02:25 PM

I wouldn't start with a pro 3, it's outdated and not the best choice IMO. If I were you i'd start out with an Associated TC3, a Losi XXX-S or an Xray T1/Evo 2. I have one for sale if you're interested. :D

twopie24 12-19-2003 02:29 PM

the thing is i might be trading for it...i really cant spend ne $$$ right now....if i had the cash i would most definatly go for the tc3...do you think it would be a good trade for a micro rs4???

thanks
moses

sosidge 12-19-2003 02:34 PM

The problem with the Pro 3 is that it has been out of production for almost a year now - and parts are going to get harder to find. It's not actually a bad car, but it does have weaknesses, especially the original suspension arms, diff parts, and an over-flexible chassis. Later/updated cars are better.

It's your call but I would wait for a car that's still in production to become available in a trade.

twopie24 12-19-2003 02:37 PM

thanks man, i just made up my mind...i guess i can wait...

awol, you wanna trade??lol..pls lmk

moses

yobbism 12-19-2003 04:19 PM

You can stil do very well with a HPI Pro3. Even with the flex (chassis in standard form) they handle well. Parts, as said, might be hard to find. If you can, try and ring a few hobby stores and see if they have any parts in stock, like a set of arms and diff outdrive set. Belts are good to have too. I never broke any parts on my pro3 except for one outdrive and that was due to excessive droop with the HB shock towers........

Have fun

Turbo Joe 12-19-2003 07:10 PM

I'm far from an expert, but I love mine. It's easy to work on and it suits my skills well. Hobby People has lots of Pro 3 stuff on the shelves and lots in the "red tag" bins...I bought a few sets of graphite arms for $8 set/4, a one-way for $21. Ultimate and Pegasus have lots of stuff, too.

IMO -- If you can still buy HPI Nitro Mini parts today(you can)...you'll ne able to buy Pro 3 parts for quite a while.

Bubblestc3 12-19-2003 10:46 PM

Re: hpi pro 3

Originally posted by twopie24
Im about to jump to electric cars, i currently run nitro touring.i gues my qustion is a hpi pro 3 a good car to start with..or is just a good car?? pls lmk...

thanks in advance
Moses

I could be wrong, but I am almost positive that there are about three threads about the Pro 3. One for pictures, one for questions about setup, and the third as the ORIGINAL thread. As I stated before, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that this thread is "spam"...

Now, as for the Pro3 as a race car. I have run this car before, in stock trim, and it felt weird. Spoke with some people about handeling, and each and every one responded told me that i would have to spend MUCH money to make it competitive with the rest of the stock class. So in the end, you could possibally be spending more money than the car is worth in trying to make it competitive. As for a trade, if the car comes with all the hop-ups then go for it, but if it is stock, then I would not bother. Personally, I have nothing agenst HPI, and as a matter of fact, my first car was an HPI.

I might also be wrong about this, but I bet that very FEW race the PRO3 at YOUR local track and that are competitive...

Turbo Joe 12-19-2003 11:24 PM

Spam is unsolicited e-mail. It's when your inbox is filled with ads for refinancing your house or herbal "remedies".

One or two of the pretty fast guys around here race them...I'm slow as hell, but it's not the car's fault...and I have like $250 in the whole chassis with tons of spares, bought new.

If you're looking for the "bling-bling" factor, forget it. It's a pretty good car, though and parts are cheap. New chassis -- <$20!

Bubblestc3 12-20-2003 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
One or two of the pretty fast guys around here race them...
Corona right?
TITUS?
If so, I have only raced there three times, and the fastest guy with a PRO3 that was there would have proabally been Steven(AKA Popsracer). I might be wrong about this, but the three times that I have raced there no one REALLY fast was running a PRO3...

Honestly, the car had a GREAT idea behind the design. What was even more amazing was that the design team had the guts to NOT follow the crowd, such as with the PRO2. I admire the design of it, and the ideas behind how it was built. HPI has now chosen to go to shaft drive, yet they have now followed the crowd in some design features, but still a great design. Although the material had much to do with how the car handled, HPI tried their radical design, and learned a lot along the way that will help for further design tactics...

Turbo Joe 12-20-2003 09:56 AM

"Pops" has one and one guy I see all the time at SoCal (I've been there like 4-5 times and he's been there every time)...he might work there, because it looks like he was racing with the body that's on the website. I suppose that neither of them are "Bubbles fast" ;) but they seem to do pretty well.

I really like how it goes together. It's not like a swiss watch or anything, but you can swap an arm with three screws, change a belt on either end in a couple minutes and parts are dirt cheap. That's why I bought it in the first place...it was hanging on a hook, all asembled, brand=new and a little dusty...$100.

Bubblestc3 12-21-2003 04:53 PM

Well, what does "Bubbles fast"(I am not fast BTW...) mean? There is no one at SoCal that works there AND runs a PRO3. Jim, Lana, Slim, Frank, Erik, Mas and MT do not race a PRO3, nor even OWN one. Other than that, I do not know of anyone racing a PRO3 in sportsman, or Pro Stock.

Turbo Joe 12-21-2003 10:05 PM

I meant works at HPI...it looked like he had the body that was on the HPI webpage.

I understand you're pretty fast, but then everyone looks fast to me. :) Deep breaths.....

Bubblestc3 12-22-2003 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
I meant works at HPI...it looked like he had the body that was on the HPI webpage.

I understand you're pretty fast, but then everyone looks fast to me. :) Deep breaths.....

Oh, you mean Andy H. Well, I havn't seen him in some time now, and he is waiting on a PRO4...(although he still races his PRO3...)