Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Motor Temperature

I just ran my brand new monster stock pro for the first time. I'm kind of worried about the temperature that the motor has been after a 5 min run. I'm running TC 6 cell with a 24/72 gearing. The temp has been in the 215f - 240f range. Is there somthing I'm missing here or is this normal for new motors?

Thanks
BigRon(electric noob)
Old 12-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

I have noticed bushing motors running upwards of 200 degrees of can temps. My ball bearing motors usually run in the 135-160 range depending on gearing. Anything over 200 I would tend to think is getting a little too hot.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default gearing for monster stock

Is this the first run? Did you oil the bushes? Your pinion and spur looks right - I run mine with about 6.8 to 7.2 gear ratio. Another thing I look out for is the white tag in the armature, I always check the color,if its still white or close to then should be fine.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

I run Monster stocks in our tc-3's I am turning 21.500 rpm on both we run 29-72 even 30-72 gearing and have never blued a brush or gone over 200 deg, F.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Motor Temperature

Originally posted by BigRon
I'm running TC 6 cell with a 24/72 gearing. The temp has been in the 215f - 240f range.
(electric noob)
Wow that's hot for a monster. I've run my monster in my TC3 gear at 23/72 and my temp is never above 165f. How's the drivetrain and gear mesh? Are they free? I know factory guys run monsters geared very low. I was told a monster should run around 150f-160f. I would check what the pro's are running for gear ratio. They would know what ratio is proper.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

200f with a monster. something's not right, or the gearing is way out for the track your running on.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

another thing to watch for when racing is the ammount of times you crash or spin.
we have done some testing over here on some sort of a dyno thing or computer system that measures the motors current and temp n everything on a test run.

when you hit walls or barriers or spin, the motors temp and voltage spikes and increases heat substantially and is one of the major factors in motor temperature. and also if you keep your throttle on when stuck in something, that really kills it. the heat jumps up a lot

if you drive really smoothly and nice your motor will never get as hot as it would if you mash it out of every corner and slide n spin and all sorts.
gearing obviously plays a major role, but what ive just said is also something to keep in mind

just my $0.02

cyas
robbie lloyd