Search

General TC Setup and Handling Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default General TC Setup and Handling Tips

Hey Guys,
I've been wanting to ask some questions and about my TC and all I see are threads about certain cars. So I thought I would start one where I could just ask about general handling/setup and weight transfer questions. I.E. If I lower my CG will it do this, or My car has mid corner on power push, what would you first try to solve the problem.

I also wanted to talked to you guys about what you think are Important Maintenance and car setup must haves that alot of people over look and more importantly under estimate.

I think A big one is weight balance, it took me many of years to relise the importance of this. When I was on asphalt it never felt "tweaked" but as soon as I would hit Carpet the headache began.

Well anyway, here is my problem and I would like some suggestions on what you would do to help the car rotate.

I've been running on a very, VERY, tight carpet track, we run Foam and Rubber. I have not had much time to setup the car but I'm in the general ball park.

My problem is that I've got a on power push mid/exit of the corner. No when I let off and go off power it will dive in hard, but that is not the fast way around the track, [For me atleast] The car is wanting to be driven very hard to hold the line and if you blow one corner your done. [Makes it hard when you come up on lap traffic]... Right now the car is incredibly consistant, but not fast. I need more rotation around the corners, I'm running an old Schumacher Mi2EC, and here is my current settup.

Wheelbase = Front - Medium Long ~ Rear - Long
Rear Hubs = Split - Spacer in front and behind hub
Diffs = Ball Diffs front and rear, Diffs Raised from chassis
Sway Bars= Front and rear Sway bars Stock silver ones
Camber links= Ball stud top hole on Tower = Lower CG, Front and Rear
Rear hub Camber hole= Ball stud on inside, closest to the tower
Rear Toe = Negative 1 Degree
Front Toe = Slightly Toe out
Front and Rear Camber -2 Degrees
Droop = 5,4 5 Front, 4 Rear
Ride Height = 5 All around

Tires
Front = TRC Plaid
Rear = Corally Purple
Sauce= Complete Width Front and Rear- Set for about 10 mins, then burned off with a rug.

I'm looking for these in another brand since TRC is gone. Does anyone know what Tire/Shore combo is equal or closest to these?

When I went Purple all around the front Tires Glazed over and I had way to much Oversteer. Plaid/Purple feels really good.
Suspention
Oil = 60 wt all around(Trinity)
Piston = Stock (2 Hole IIRC)
Spings = Green All around ( went From Blue Rear to Green and Helped free the car up, felt much better)
Schumacher Spring rates are as follows,
White = 14 Lbs
Blue = 16 Lbs
Green = 18 LBS
Red = 20 Lbs
Yellow = 23 Lbs
Violet = 27 Lbs

Shock posistion

Front Middle hold on Tower, Outside hold on arm[ Tower has 3 holes, Arm has 2]
Rear = 2nd hold in from outside on tower, 2 hold in from outside on arm [Each have 4 holes]

I'm running Lipo and 19T.

I think that is Everything guys, let me know If I forgot something. I was think that I should shorten the wheel base more or raise the RC [ Roll Center] in the rear, I could go with a softer front spring but I think that would be too much of an adjustment.

Josh

Last edited by JoshM20; 05-12-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Try some more aggressive tires, plaids/purples haven't been the "hot setup" for quite awhile, go with Parma Indigo/magenta, magenta/magenta or Jaco magenta/magenta

Parma Cyan/purple would be equal to what your currently running
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Everything you would ever want to know about RC car handling:

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

compare and contrast. there weren't a ton of foam setups for the 'ec', but these were both good, and were run with front tires on the car. both of these setups were very balanced on/off power.

you can learn a ton by comparing what others are doing on the same car....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mi2ec_paul_foam_kit.pdf (252.6 KB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf
Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
compare and contrast. there weren't a ton of foam setups for the 'ec', but these were both good, and were run with front tires on the car. both of these setups were very balanced on/off power.

Only you would describe your "sauce" as "wet to the ring" and "full wet" lol
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by seaball

I'm not a huge fan of the 'ec' but I'm making due.

Interesting setup for the indoor champs.

So in that setup he was using a 3mm chassis, but had no diff riser. Would that keep the CG the same as my 2mm chassis with the 1mm riser?

I may order a pair of the Parma or Jaco to test them out.

I think I will try shortening the wheelbase and maybe adding a little anti-dive.

Now I have the option to run 19T or 13.5 in the class, which is going to be quicker?

Edit: Also Where can I get some of those weight balancing tools that look like there half a golf ball with a screw on them?

Last edited by JoshM20; 05-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What size is your track?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JoshM20

I think I will try shortening the wheelbase and maybe adding a little anti-dive.
Since you are losing steering on-power, you would be better off adding anti-squat.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by adamge
What size is your track?
A Fast Lap is 12.9 The fastest I pulled with the Current setup is 13.2 and that was with the car to stuck. It would not rotate enough.

Here is a pick, the back infield is REALLY Tight. Much more than the pic shows.

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Since you are losing steering on-power, you would be better off adding anti-squat.
I think I may put a stiffer rear sway bar or maybe drop the front oil down to 50. Just a thought, not sure which way I should go.

I thought Anti-Squat would increase rear traction? How would this effect the car?

Josh
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Tech Regular

I'm wondering if I should lower my diffs, it would effect my overall CG. But I don't think I need anymore traction.

Right now I have my roll center lowered on both shock towers (top holes) I'm wondering if I should lower them, both or just the rear, or at all.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
+1

Should provide better balance

I would think a 19t should be quicker than a 13.5 but the 19t will require more work to make it fast. You will have to test back to back to work that out for your self but I would suggest that a 13.5 will make a really good practice motor at the very least. On a tight track like the one in the pic I think the torque of the 13.5 might be quicker in the tight stuff.

BTW: I hardly ever race on carpet but when I do I go for a oneway. There is no comparison to anything else on carpet.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

If you're not too sure, perhaps trying a set of better tires on the front it's worth a try before you start playing with other things.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I would try running no sway bars, and running 35-40wt in your rear shocks.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JoshM20
I thought Anti-Squat would increase rear traction? How would this effect the car?

Josh
When you accelerate, and your car squats (leans to the rear) you are losing traction up front... which is why you are pushing, on throttle. "anti-squat" will help your car by restricting how much weight is shifted to the rear, when you hit the gas, therfore increasing steering when you are on the throttle. Anti-squat increases front traction on throttle.

Did you check out the link I provided you up above? It's got everything you will want to know.

Here... ill copy and paste it for you:

"Anti-Squat

More anti-squat generally makes the rear of the car more sensitive to throttle input. The car has more steering while braking, and also a little more powering out of corners. On high-traction tracks, it may feel as if the car momentarily has more rear traction accellerating out of corners. off-power. A lot of anti-squat (4° or more) can make the car spin out in turns, and make the rear end break loose when accellerating. "

It also might help you a bit to losen up yoru front. Try a slightly softer spring combined with slightly lighter oil. This will add a bit of roll to your front end, helping your outside front tire bite more going around the corner. You could also try running only a rear anti-sway bar... which will also help shift traction to the front end. (be advised, that the springs/oil/ARB will also shift traction to the front end everywhere else on the track too).
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

+1 to what he said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.