Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How much weight to add? >

How much weight to add?

How much weight to add?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default How much weight to add?

How do you guys decide how much weight to add to one side of your car or the other?

So far, I don't know of a precise way to check the balance of the car, so I lift the car up with two fingers (one at each end, as close to the middle of the front and rear bumpers as I can tell with the naked eye), to see if the car tilts to one side or the other but I'm sure there's a better way.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well what type of car you have? some cars have a hole in the front and rear and you have to use this tool to see if the car is balanced.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I use these little guys http://www.teamirsrc.com/irs3020.html
How much weight you will need to add depends on the car and electronics layout.

-rocky b
Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flatspunout
I use these little guys http://www.teamirsrc.com/irs3020.html
How much weight you will need to add depends on the car and electronics layout.

-rocky b
Yea I use these ones to, not to sure how to balance front to rear though, maybe measure to the middle of the chassis, and put the rod from the tweak station under it, to see if the front is heavier than the rear?
TCCFM
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Yea I use these ones to, not to sure how to balance front to rear though, maybe measure to the middle of the chassis, and put the rod from the tweak station under it, to see if the front is heavier than the rear?
TCCFM
The rear always seems to be slightly heavier.

I had to move the ruler I was balancing the car on back about 10mm the get balance front to rear.
Don't forget, wheelbase settings etc will also effect this (which is the exact reason for wheelbase adjustments)

Skiddins
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You could always get four of the cheap jewelers scales on ebay.

That way you have side to side and front to rear.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TwoTone
You could always get four of the cheap jewelers scales on ebay.

That way you have side to side and front to rear.
I've done that before, the problem is making sure you have exactly the same tension on the springs at all four corners, if one is out it will effect the others more than you think.

Skiddins
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i understand balancing left to right but wouldnt be best to have a little more weight toward the rear for more grip,and when adding weight when using lipo batteries should weight be added to equal the amount of a standard nimh pack or just enough to ballance the car and keep it light as possible?Ive always wondered if a car is to light it'l effect the grip of the tires.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by airwoods
i understand balancing left to right but wouldnt be best to have a little more weight toward the rear for more grip,and when adding weight when using lipo batteries should weight be added to equal the amount of a standard nimh pack or just enough to ballance the car and keep it light as possible?Ive always wondered if a car is to light it'l effect the grip of the tires.
There is more weight towards the rear, it's unavoidable due to the large metal round 'spinny' bit

Skiddins
Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

becides the picture if you own a tc5 you can use fishing line and thring it thru the tiny hole in the shock tower and hang the car and see how much it will lean. i used it and it worked.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by not home
becides the picture if you own a tc5 you can use fishing line and thring it thru the tiny hole in the shock tower and hang the car and see how much it will lean. i used it and it worked.
works for tamiya and cyclone as well
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I actually used two axles to do the same as the first picture on my Tamiya/Penguin TA05. I just pulled out the center screw for the front bumper, and used an existing center screw hole in the rear. Then I sat the car on the threaded ends of the axles. It wasn't really easy cause the axles kept falling over, but it did work. I found that on this car it was actually the electronics side that was too light...

Talk about ghetto.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help. These are all good ideas and have given me an idea of my own. Those items are difficult for me to get plus the chassis I am trying to balance don't have dedicated holes for this purpose. It does however have screw holes along the centre line for things like the bumpers so I think I'm going to remove the countersunk screws and put in some caphead screws and see if I can balance them between the screw heads. If the COG is somewhere between the 4mm width of these screw heads, that's close enough for me

Thanks again.