Are Chargers Really That Important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Chargers Really That Important?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Are Chargers Really That Important?

I've got a Integy 16x3 Pro V2.5 and was wondering if I really need to upgrade to say a 16x7 or 16x9 v6. Do they charge the batteries the same? Is it proven that a more expensive charger takes care of your batteries better, giving them more life? Or is this all just theory? Hey, if I need a better charger, I'll buy one, but close to 2 to 300 dollars on a "box" that just charges my batteries is tough for me to do.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
J
Old 12-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Msot charger charge Fairly good but make sure it is a peak charger. Other than that what other chargers haev is better things built it. what the pulsar have over the millenium pro is that it has to run motors etc. but charge wise they are both fairly good. *make sure the charger is nicad/nimh to charge.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

That depends on if you race or play.What's sorta of funny is I own an Integy 16x9 and I want to get an upper end charger,dont get me wrong the 16x9 is a good charger but I want to get a charger that has a motor break in feature(so I can run my com. lathe)In a charger you would want one that charges at least 6 amps.can cycle,the more you pay the more feature's it will(or should)have.I know that it seems like a waste of money but in the long run it's not.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xxxkat
That depends on if you race or play.What's sorta of funny is I own an Integy 16x9 and I want to get an upper end charger,dont get me wrong the 16x9 is a good charger but I want to get a charger that has a motor break in feature(so I can run my com. lathe)In a charger you would want one that charges at least 6 amps.can cycle,the more you pay the more feature's it will(or should)have.I know that it seems like a waste of money but in the long run it's not.
Good point xxxkat, it depends if your playing i would stay with that charger, If your into serious its better buy a good charger now(pulsar,gfx etc.)than later. because later your going to want to upgrade And your going to spend double so buy the good stuff once and you wont have to buy another for a good long time.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I'm a wannabe serious racer. Come to think of it, I'd like a charger that can match my packs like the LRP Pulsar. BUT I also want a charger that has a power supply built in. Any pointers?

Thanks!
J
Old 12-14-2003, 03:52 AM
Tech Adept

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend..
You usually get what you pay for, so as True R/C Racing said (im sure alot of other people would agree too) if you buy cheap you buy twice..

As for the power supply, later on you may need to get a power supply anyway, to power things such as tire warmers, dynos, etc..

I have the Pulsar, and it does the job..
Btw, the Pulsar doesn't "match" the cells, it just cycles them, read this article on the Pulsar..
http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/lrp_pulsar.asp

Alch
Old 12-14-2003, 05:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The new 16x9v6 is a very nice charger plus you can run another charger off of it,I look at this charger as upper mid range charger,It's ac/dc has a 14 amp converter built in,the next step up in chargers is about $150 more and you need a converter to run them.when I bought a new charger I wish the v6 was available.I do understand the reasons for not wanting to spend mega bucks on a charger that in less than a year it's going to be replaced with a newer version.How many different turbo chargers are their.. and dont kid your self the turbo 30 is still better than most of the chargers that are out their now,and you can send them back to CEI and get them updated for not to much money.just something to think about..I know I'm thinking about getting one to go along with my "old" 16x9.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I have a guy that sells power supplys real cheap, lets say 40.00 Shipped 12 amp. So Power Supply isnt a bad thing its Charger if you want a nice charger that cycles Get The GFX but your spending nearly $300+, So Its your choice either get pulsar-GFX or the integy they all good charger for different reasons Also the gfx is a big bulky machine too
Old 12-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xxxkat
The new 16x9v6 is a very nice charger plus you can run another charger off of it,I look at this charger as upper mid range charger,It's ac/dc has a 14 amp converter built in,the next step up in chargers is about $150 more and you need a converter to run them.when I bought a new charger I wish the v6 was available.
Me too, I have the V5 and it's a great charger. But if I buy another charger I'll probabley get a V6. IMO the V6 is in the same braket as the T35's, it has all the options I would use, yet none of the confusing crap that I wouldn't. The only thing I dislike is the fact that they didn't upgrade it for 30amp discharge, not a big problem though, a reactor 30 or bulbs would fix that.

If you can get all your batterys charged in time at the races with one charger then there is eally isn't much reason to upgrade unless you want more control of the charging process(mv cutoff). I doubt you would see a hugh increase in performance by upgrading. The prov2.5 can charge to 6.5 amps and the chip decides what mv cutoff, so it couldn't be too far off. The only disadvantage with the prov2.5 is that you can't decide what cutoff. Discharging at 30amps, motor run-in and all the other features of the expensive chargers can be done cheaper buy buying bulbs and building a 3 or 4 cell pack for run-in.

If you want everything in one charger shell out the cash but I don't think you'll see a hugh performance increase with the new charger, just features that make your life easier and are nice to have.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Me too, I have the V5 and it's a great charger. But if I buy another charger I'll probabley get a V6. IMO the V6 is in the same braket as the T35's, it has all the options I would use, yet none of the confusing crap that I wouldn't. The only thing I dislike is the fact that they didn't upgrade it for 30amp discharge, not a big problem though, a reactor 30 or bulbs would fix that.

If you can get all your batterys charged in time at the races with one charger then there is eally isn't much reason to upgrade unless you want more control of the charging process(mv cutoff). I doubt you would see a hugh increase in performance by upgrading. The prov2.5 can charge to 6.5 amps and the chip decides what mv cutoff, so it couldn't be too far off. The only disadvantage with the prov2.5 is that you can't decide what cutoff. Discharging at 30amps, motor run-in and all the other features of the expensive chargers can be done cheaper buy buying bulbs and building a 3 or 4 cell pack for run-in.

If you want everything in one charger shell out the cash but I don't think you'll see a hugh performance increase with the new charger, just features that make your life easier and are nice to have.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Go through this forum and you will find a lot of threads on chargers.If you are serious about racing then spend as much as you can you will want it later on for sure.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

i bought a gfx not too long ago, and i couldn't be more pleased with it. sure, some may say i spent $400 on a box, but i will most likely be using it until they dont make batteries compatible with it, lol.the thing you should consider is how often you'll actually be using all the features. as of right now, i have used every feature on it, including the computer port. you will definitely need motor run in for racing. just my $0.02..
Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

I think I made up my mind... I'm going to go with the 16x9v6. I think it has most features I'll ever need and can even power a dyno or a motor for a lathe.

Thanks for all the help!
J
Old 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

no problem
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Buy Cheap Buy Twice

I like this saying its very true. lol

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.