R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2003, 03:06 PM   #16
Tech Addict

i own the novak ss system, and couldn't be much happier with it. fast/powerful/yadda yadda, but best of all NO MAINTENANCE.

to build on what previous people have said, i primarily do not run mod due to the increased maintenance/cost typically associated with it. while claims of improved long-term performance from motors like the v2 make me revisit the subject, those that have seen prototype versions of novak's 'unlimited', will probably agree that thing is going to be AWESOME. i've only seen it run at socal rc, but it appears to have the torque/speed of any motor out there.

i do hope some features are built into it though such as drag brake point/value, etc. having to set the neutral 1/4 of the way into reverse to get off power braking makes for a lot of dead trigger space.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:04 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Originally posted by lee82gx
I think in mod,all brushless systems should be allowed.no speed restriction.i mean even if someone whips out a 6T Hacker , it's still gonna have weight issues and not to mention plenty of cogging.
so in the end it balances out.
as for stock well it's better to have a separate class,where in it either ALL manufacturers adhere to a certain speed/torque standard that is easily verifiable.If the manufacturers cannot agree,then it'll have to be a class for every system(which frankly isn't that prospective)

In the very bottom line , brushless systems are only more efficient , it's not always faster.How can we say no to that??
I am finishing up a Hacker 7T with Pro controller on a BMI TC3 chassis and there is no cogging at all. The diffs are Hardcore and built very smoothly and they are set fairly firmly and will just spin the motor before it even gets to turn the diff action over. I have yet to try it but can only imagine how many watts this thing can put out, trouble is I believe it is going to be a handful with such limited controller settings on it's power curves available.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:34 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cogging is when u full stop.then punch the throttle but the car hesitates a little b4 flying out.mainly present in sensorless BL where it takes a little time(albeit only a microsecond) to get the power through to the proper loop that will deflect the rotor.This is bcos the ESC doesn't know which of the loops are directly facing the rotor since the ESC is sensorless.
it's not the static drag in the brushless motor your talking about.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Have heard the term as it relates to both brushed motors and very early sensorless bl motors. I have one of the early Aveox and it does hesitate and even sometimes wanders back and forth before the timing gets it moving forward (most of my experience is in planes with bl). Not one of the newer generation bl motors I have show any of the early models tendency to have difficulty in finding the correct timing right from the get go. This Hacker has only been bench run but has displayed zero cogging so far, will have to wait and see how it does under load.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:00 AM   #20
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The racers using Hacker 6t's at my local are very fast and fairly smooth. The Hacker 6t easily matches any brushed motor for outright pace. Runtime and overheating is still an issue.
Black-Knight - None shall pass!
www.nbhc.com.au - www.facebook.com/smaracing
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:15 AM   #21
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hacker cogs when under load.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote